Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil shooting out the exhaust

Views : 1256

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:27   #1
highspiritz

Default Oil shooting out the exhaust

I was having white smoke coming out of my exhaust for a week. Disappears after driving for about 2 miles or so. Have not use the car for a few days and started it today. As usual white smoke came for about 30 mins and I stopped as it was still smoking. Come out looked at the back to find oil all over the pavement behind my car. It was coming from my exhaust.

At first I was confused as to whether it was Oil or diesel. I poured water on the pavement and saw rainbow colours. Then I checked my oil level and it was all gone. Luckily I not drive the car and had checked my oil level 3 days back to find it a bit low and I topped it up to the required level . Had to top up about a litre.

Now this black oil somehow found its way through my exhaust. Help me diagnose this as as to whether I can make do with a local garage. I will have to get it towed into the garage.
highspiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:33   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

My money would be on the turbo seal leaking allowing oil into the air intake.
Large quantities of oil in the engine can be catastrophic as the engine can end up combusting the oil uncontrollably and effectively blow itself up.

Google "diesel runaway".
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:42   #3
highspiritz

Default If you are right and it is the turbo seal

Thank you for Your prompt reply. What should I expect to fix it cost wise?
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:50   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspiritz View Post
Thank you for Your prompt reply. What should I expect to fix it cost wise?
If it is indeed the seal leaking, the root cause would need to be found so that would dictate cost.
A simple boost leak for example can reduce intake pressure and allow the seal to weep but that normally results in a much smaller quantity of oil in the intake.

A new intake pipe could be less than £100, a new intercooler could be less than £500, a new turbo could be £1000 but these are only guesses at possible fixes.

You'll need to have it investigated and if someone else is being paid to diagnose and fix, the cost will be whatever the cost is. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 17:42   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Assuming the engine is running okay otherwise then the only place oil and exhaust gases can mix is the turbo charger. My money would be on the exhaust turbine seal as you would almost certainly have runaway issues if it was on the intake.

Regardless of which seal though, you will likely need a new or reconditioned turbo. If it is the intake seal (can be confirmed by looking for oil in the intercooler to EGR mixer pipe then you must remove the intercooler and drain it of any residue.

You should get it fixed as it will only get worse and it's not going to be great for other road users. It's not too difficult a job to replace the turbo and any decent garage should be able to do that - Volvo diagnostics not required unless something else goes wrong.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 18:52   #6
highspiritz

Any clue on costs mate? I am taking it to Charwood Automotive. They seem to be recommended on here many a times. I have used them last year for another issue. They said they have second hand ones to replace if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Assuming the engine is running okay otherwise then the only place oil and exhaust gases can mix is the turbo charger. My money would be on the exhaust turbine seal as you would almost certainly have runaway issues if it was on the intake.

Regardless of which seal though, you will likely need a new or reconditioned turbo. If it is the intake seal (can be confirmed by looking for oil in the intercooler to EGR mixer pipe then you must remove the intercooler and drain it of any residue.

You should get it fixed as it will only get worse and it's not going to be great for other road users. It's not too difficult a job to replace the turbo and any decent garage should be able to do that - Volvo diagnostics not required unless something else goes wrong.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:20   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Any clue on costs mate? I am taking it to Charwood Automotive. They seem to be recommended on here many a times. I have used them last year for another issue. They said they have second hand ones to replace if needed.
For any turbo job expect costs in the order of GBP 1000, +1000, -500
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:33   #8
highspiritz

Default Charlwood Volvo

Thanks for the reply.

I got my car towed into Charlwood garage for Volvo. They tell me I need to replace my exhaust and that too all of it (end, centre and front). I asked if they could not reuse the exhaust and they said no because the oil came all the way through the exhaust and out though the tail pipe. They said that even a trace of oil in the exhaust is disastrous. I was hoping they could clean up some if not all of the parts. Any advice welcome.

I will also need another turbo. A refurbished or even a second hand one will do. They are trying to help me out as I am financially tight having lost my job 6 months back. Any help with advice is much appreciated. Do anyone have he exhaust parts in working order and a second hand turbo for D5 Auto 185bhp XC90 2008 DIESEL?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 16:49   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I got my car towed into Charlwood garage for Volvo. They tell me I need to replace my exhaust and that too all of it (end, centre and front). I asked if they could not reuse the exhaust and they said no because the oil came all the way through the exhaust and out though the tail pipe. They said that even a trace of oil in the exhaust is disastrous. I was hoping they could clean up some if not all of the parts. Any advice welcome.

I will also need another turbo. A refurbished or even a second hand one will do. They are trying to help me out as I am financially tight having lost my job 6 months back. Any help with advice is much appreciated. Do anyone have he exhaust parts in working order and a second hand turbo for D5 Auto 185bhp XC90 2008 DIESEL?
Hmmm new exhaust....? I was going to suggest just draining it but it would be difficult if not impossible to get all of the oil out of the chambers in the muffler. It would be a reckless risk to 2 wheeled road users to knowingly drop oil onto the road. FYI the factory exhaust is a 1-piece job.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 14:09   #10
highspiritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Hmmm new exhaust....? I was going to suggest just draining it but it would be difficult if not impossible to get all of the oil out of the chambers in the muffler. It would be a reckless risk to 2 wheeled road users to knowingly drop oil onto the road. FYI the factory exhaust is a 1-piece job.
1 piece job as in? easy or difficult.

Tags
exhaust leak oil