Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Common S60 Problems - Solutions Only

Views : 252823

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2014, 22:19   #51
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
So a couple of days ago I got myself an S60 D5 on an 02 plate. A couple of faults came up on day 1, and I searched this (and other) forums for help. Both problems are common, with plenty of owners asking for help; but if they ever found a solution, they didn't want to share. But not me. I've found the solutions and I'm going to blab.
Problem 1.
Power steering fluid reservoir leaking.
Very common on older cars, with reports of leakage from the cap, the pipes, and even the seams. Mine was losing about half a litre over 200 ish miles, and looked like it was leaking from everywhere; the top, the pipes, the seams; all covered in fluid. Using Newtons long established theory- I started at the top. I removed the rubber gasket under the cap, turned it over and put it back. It now holds pressure and doesn't leak. The fluid on the seams and pipes is what ran down until met an obstacle, where it settled. This may be a temporary fix, but I've had a temporary fence for nearly 20 years and it's still holding up.

Problem 2
Drivers door not locking.

All the others work, but not the drivers door lock. So...
I pulled the surround from the pop up lock and sprayed a load of 3 in 1 oil in the hole. Problem solved.

Now y'all owe me two solutions. When I find the problems, I'll be back to collect.
UPDATE

I've just been out to the car and it appears the door lock fix was a little too temporary even for me- it's stopped working again. So it's door panel off job at the weekend. Hopefully the brief repair is an indication of where the fault may lie. I shall return.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 14:45   #52
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
UPDATE

I've just been out to the car and it appears the door lock fix was a little too temporary even for me- it's stopped working again. So it's door panel off job at the weekend. Hopefully the brief repair is an indication of where the fault may lie. I shall return.
UPDATED UPDATE

After the last update I squirted more 3 in one down the lock pin and left overnight. It's worked ever since. I reckon that's this one solved (albeit without knowing the specific cause of the problem).
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:40   #53
Chuck

Default update on power steering (solved)

It seems that by curing the reservoir leak (gasket in cap), which allowed the power steering system to keep its pressure, I exposed the bigger problem; weak/ruptured seal in the steering rack. Every time time it rained I was being chased by a dead rainbow. The only cure was a new rack; £500 fitted. There's no cheap fix for these I'm afraid, the rack's either good or it's goosed, and it won't cure itself.

Last edited by Chuck; Jun 7th, 2014 at 12:44.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 21:42   #54
Djbutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnav View Post
Actually, you can find the car maker, and email them a copy of car reg and a picture of the nut face -they will post a new key - think it cost me about £15. Sorry, but no details of who they where-try Google.
www.mcgard.de
Djbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 21:22   #55
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha206 View Post
Lights not flashing when locking car with remote - check all doors, bonnet & boot are fully shut; often opening boot/bonnet & slamming shut fixes this!
I have a problem with the central locking not working and slamming the boot lid shut seems to fix this temporarily. Ay idea why and can a permanent solution be found?
Thanks
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 13:13   #56
baldeagle

Default Partial success

Quote:
Thanks to "oilburner" for this one:

"One shot" function causing window to get part way up and then "bounce" down:

Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.
This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

Worked for mine. I had the same problem after the electric mirror switch was replaced.

EDIT: This may or may not wipe out the settings for the auto-lock, I do not know for certain as mine doesn't do it!

You could also try locking and unlocking the car via the drivers door lock, this might do the same thing - but may also loose your settings, unless the auto-lock is controlled via another of the car's computers - it could be, I don't know for sure.
Thanks for the information, I have reset the UEM but the driver's window still bounces when it reaches the closed position. I've applied silicon spray lubricant to the window edges but still no luck. The GOOD NEWS is that the electric sunroof now works!
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 19:25   #57
baldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybird View Post
If you have locking wheel nuts ('bolts' to be totally accurate!!) get rid of them before one shears off and leaves you in a total mess.

Trust me on this.....
I couldn't agree more. I had to resort to a tungsten carbide cutter and air drill in order to remove a shattered McGard locking bolt
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 22:10   #58
tphilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Langfield View Post
The engine starter is totally dead when the ignition key is turned on.

Solution;
Either have someone hold the key operated whilst you tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar (or similar)
Or
Tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar and then retry starting the car.

Obviously replacing the starter motor would be the best solution but as this problems tends to happen randomly and only on rare occasions, the above solutions have kept me going for over 5 years at no expense.

I have had a problem with mine that someone in the past had bodged the live cable going into the starter solenoid and had to be wiggled slightly to start.
tphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 00:05   #59
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Thanks to "oilburner" for this one:

"One shot" function causing window to get part way up and then "bounce" down:

Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.

This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

Worked for mine. I had the same problem after the electric mirror switch was replaced.

EDIT: This may or may not wipe out the settings for the auto-lock, I do not know for certain as mine doesn't do it!

You could also try locking and unlocking the car via the drivers door lock, this might do the same thing - but may also loose your settings, unless the auto-lock is controlled via another of the car's computers - it could be, I don't know for sure.
Doesn't work, is this for particular models? S60 2001 SE T5 Auto
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 00:06   #60
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Very frequently asked question at the moment : Fuel cap cover doesn't lock with the rest of the car.

It is supposed to be like this, wait 10-15 minutes and if it STILL hasn't locked then you have a problem. The idea is you can secure your car on the petrol station forecourt and still have time to fill the tank before the flap locks.
Incorrect. It's supposed to lock after 15 SECONDS.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote