Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Simultaneous 240 temp and fuel gauge problems PLEASE HELP!

Views : 2213

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 16:15   #1
zagatoman

Default Simultaneous 240 temp and fuel gauge problems PLEASE HELP!

Hi all,

still having simultaneous problems with my temperature gauge and fuel gauge showing low readings, even when the car is run for some time with plenty of fuel. They both move a small amount.

I have had some great advice from others on the forum suggesting it could be the voltage stabilizer. I have been given three voltage stabilizers by Bob the parts chap at Braydon Motors, thanks Bob, and fitted them one after the other and still no readings. The parts were second hand but I wouldn't have thought all three were kaput, I thought at least one would have worked.

Henrick suggested the problem could be a ground problem, what would I have to ground on the cluster? do I ground the metal that the voltage stabilizer is screwed onto?

This is driving me nuts, just want it sorted, might have to resort to fitting a second hand cluster that I know works. Anyone got a cluster going cheep? my car is a 1991 SE 2.3i Estate.

All suggestions would be grateful.

Paul

1991 Volvo 240 SE Estate 2.3i

Last edited by zagatoman; Dec 2nd, 2011 at 18:40.
zagatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 17:44   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

yes earth the part that bolts to the plate in the pic duff earths cause all sorts of strange things as components coplete the circuit through something that runs in parrelell with it
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 18:04   #3
morsing
Premier Member

The ground for the instrument cluster is on the left side of the transmission tunnel, just by the front, left corner of the gear lever cover.

If your speedometer and rev counter is ok, the ground might not be the problem after all.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 17:56   #4
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-240-...item27c0edf5b8
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 10:10   #5
chesters6
Master Member

how would (could?) a person install that cluster into a carb version car with a clock instead of the rev counter?
the rev counter version is more useful
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 10:17   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

measure the voltage on the 3 pins with a multimeter connected to the body as ground ,
you should have nothing on one pin ( ground )
12v on another pin ( input ) and 10volts or thereabouts on the third pin ( feed to gauges ) do this test first to determine which way to go next ..
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 13:22   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
how would (could?) a person install that cluster into a carb version car with a clock instead of the rev counter?
the rev counter version is more useful
It's very easy, the wiring is all there ready. I swapped in a tachometer from a scrap 1986 GL into a 1989 DL - both with carbs. I can't remember the details, but there is an unused dangling wire behind the dashboard on the clock version (yellow?) which just needs to be connected to the new tacho.

Then the small clock fits in the blank space just to the left, with its short extension leads running from the old clock power point.

Someone will know the details - I just worked it out from the Haynes wiring diagrams and by comparing the two cars.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 13:36   #8
Michael J
Master Member

I did the same with a tacho from a C-reg into my F-reg DL.

Remove cluster, take out large clock, replace it with tacho (and its little blanking peg), connect red/white signal wire that is already there behind the dash to back of tacho, fit small clock kit with its wiring harness if you wish (plugs onto three-pin outlet on back of tacho), refit cluster etc.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 14:29   #9
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagatoman View Post
Hi all,

I have had some great advice from others on the forum suggesting it could be the voltage stabilizer. I have been given three voltage stabilizers by Bob the parts chap at Braydon Motors, thanks Bob, and fitted them one after the other and still no readings. The parts were second hand but I wouldn't have thought all three were kaput, I thought at least one would have worked.

All suggestions would be grateful.

Paul

For what its worth Paul, I had the same problem with one of my 240s a few years back and I tried 4 second hand (from breakers) before I got one to work. I found a way to test them but I cant remember how now. It seems so long ago I had a 240. At least you can change them by feeling for them and not pulling dash out.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 16:39   #10
brodgar
I've Been Banned

beat advice was to take the voltmeter out an d test it.

THERE IS NO GUARENTEE ON THE ONES YOU GOT FROM BRAyDONS, they might all be 15 years plus old. and all suffer from the same problem.

Or get one on loan from somebodys car where it was guarenteed working.

basic fault tracing and eliminating. Tedious work, alas
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote