Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

148mpg volvo

Views : 2520

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 00:08   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default 148mpg volvo

Ok this is the XC Forum although feel that this technology will most likely filter to XC60 - lets hope so.

This website is about the best value and most economical cars.

Starts off with a favorite of mine i40 at number 10 although guess whats number 1?

See the post here

Click next on the photos

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 03:23   #2
Vecais

Interesting result. Who would believe that a Volvo V60 is more economical than a Prius.

As the V60 and XC60 share many features, we should see a hybrid XC60 before too long.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:55   #3
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Ok this is the XC Forum although feel that this technology will most likely filter to XC60 - lets hope so.

This website is about the best value and most economical cars.

Starts off with a favorite of mine i40 at number 10 although guess whats number 1?

See the post here

Click next on the photos

Regards
Any idea when this car is likely to be available?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:38   #4
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Possibly in 2012!!
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:30   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Stu0710

Production is intended to start in 2012
An electric motor with about 70bhp will power the rear wheels and the D5 215 will power the fronts giving a combined power figure somewhere near 300bhp and pretty quick acceleration times.The electric motor will be able to power the car for about 30 miles on electricity alone after a full charge from a normal house socket in about 4hours and with both units running together provide 4 wheel drive.Running on electric alone expect 0-60 in around 16 seconds which is acceptable I think.All usual Volvo safety features are to be the same along with venting tubes to realease gas from the battery if it was crashed.
The system will decide whether to run electric or diesel although the driver will also be able to choose probably a bit like the stop/start sytsem that decides when to operate in later Volvos

The choice of the D5 is an unusual one as this engine is more than likely being phased out in favour of 4 cylinder motors in future. Even if this were not the case I suggest that installing a 2.0 D3 163bhp or even a lesser powered diesel engine would be a better choice thus making the car even more economical whilst still retaining reasonable performance.This will probably happen.When the electric power is empty or when driving down the motorway the car will run on its diesel engine so expect fuel economy to be that which the diesel engine provides.The batteries will add weight though hence the choice possibly of the bigger engine.Ive always thought a la Top Gear and Cedric was it when they put a generator in a car..!!...why not in a diesel or petrol hybrid have some type of second "alternator" to re charge the batteries when driving on diesel engine, although I do appreciate that this "alternator" may not be able to charge any batteries quick enough although surely if one was driving say 300 miles this second alternator could simply have the job of re-charging the hybrids battery pack alone.

So how much will it be?

Expect to pay around 10k more than the current price of the standard car which whilst expensive is similar to all electric cars such as Leaf and bearing in mind the Imiev is knocking on the door of 30k and it appears that this Volvo is just like a normal diesel car coupled with the extra bonus that its also electric. Much more usable in the real world

regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Sep 22nd, 2011 at 11:34. Reason: 0-60 on electric
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:28   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Stu0710

Production is intended to start in 2012
An electric motor with about 70bhp will power the rear wheels and the D5 215 will power the fronts giving a combined power figure somewhere near 300bhp and pretty quick acceleration times.The electric motor will be able to power the car for about 30 miles on electricity alone after a full charge from a normal house socket in about 4hours and with both units running together provide 4 wheel drive.Running on electric alone expect 0-60 in around 16 seconds which is acceptable I think.All usual Volvo safety features are to be the same along with venting tubes to realease gas from the battery if it was crashed.
The system will decide whether to run electric or diesel although the driver will also be able to choose probably a bit like the stop/start sytsem that decides when to operate in later Volvos

The choice of the D5 is an unusual one as this engine is more than likely being phased out in favour of 4 cylinder motors in future. Even if this were not the case I suggest that installing a 2.0 D3 163bhp or even a lesser powered diesel engine would be a better choice thus making the car even more economical whilst still retaining reasonable performance.This will probably happen.When the electric power is empty or when driving down the motorway the car will run on its diesel engine so expect fuel economy to be that which the diesel engine provides.The batteries will add weight though hence the choice possibly of the bigger engine.Ive always thought a la Top Gear and Cedric was it when they put a generator in a car..!!...why not in a diesel or petrol hybrid have some type of second "alternator" to re charge the batteries when driving on diesel engine, although I do appreciate that this "alternator" may not be able to charge any batteries quick enough although surely if one was driving say 300 miles this second alternator could simply have the job of re-charging the hybrids battery pack alone.

So how much will it be?

Expect to pay around 10k more than the current price of the standard car which whilst expensive is similar to all electric cars such as Leaf and bearing in mind the Imiev is knocking on the door of 30k and it appears that this Volvo is just like a normal diesel car coupled with the extra bonus that its also electric. Much more usable in the real world

regards
Is this speculation or fact?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:34   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Is this speculation or fact?
Wimorrison

The electric diesel Volvo as per post is in the pipelines with an expected build to commence 2012 so yes it is fact.A fact in so far as Volvo are stating they will build this car

Regards adding an alternator to power electric and the pricing this is indeed my thoughts.

Regards
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 13:12   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Wimorrison

See the start of the electric hybrid idea here

See about 4 cylinder engines here

Apparently on sale 2012 here

Regards
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 14:00   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Wimorrison

See the start of the electric hybrid idea here

See about 4 cylinder engines here

Apparently on sale 2012 here

Regards
Which means that the entire post is speculation when placed against a possible XC60 version - not mentioned anywhere
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 14:19   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Which means that the entire post is speculation when placed against a possible XC60 version - not mentioned anywhere
Hi Wimorrison

Post is not speculation.

First line of OP explains clearly authors feeling it may filter to XC60

regards