Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MTE back in the UK.

Views : 8987

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:49   #91
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70
Well, I personally never made a 'hoo-har' aboout anything.

I excepted that it had happened, talk to people over the phone about it, stated that it could of happened to anyone at anytime, had offers of it being fixed FOC - not sure what hoo-har I made ?

I haven't taken up any grudges against anyone and don't want to - we all learn through experience.

Chris
Well, this is once again resting on my conscience.

I don't want people to think I have made a hoo-har.

All I really feel, is that I would have like to have been given the option to use the correct mounting studs, rather than inferior versions; and if the latter had been used, that I was told.

Having made to the decision to not get my own hands dirty, I paid to have the tuning done by apparantly competant people; if the turbo was not to have come loose, no one would have ever known.

Also, imo, sealant should not be used on metal-metal paper gaskets.

In reference to the current topic, I would personally like to have been told if my ECU had been soldered.

Chris

http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/studs.jpg
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit

Last edited by SaffronC70; Mar 9th, 2006 at 16:51.
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:56   #92
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
In chris's case is was down to poor workman ship, if the job had been done properly then it wouldnt have happened in the first place.

But its unfair to say that if you tune your car anything that happens is your own fault, yes i agree if its yourself thats messing around with mbc's etc. but if you buy a performance mod from any company then most (if not all) of the responsibility is down to them to make sure it is safe and works, unless they dont give an warranty what so ever, but then you would most likely go elsewhere.
If your car is still under warranty and something breaks after the tuning is done, the warranty company will probably (quite rightly) say 'it was your own fault for taking it out of specs' and not pay up. If you don't tell them something has changed then that is even worse and they will either not pay up if they find out before the repair, or worse, sue you if they have paid up but now want the money back having found out subsequently.
Sure the company that provide the upgrade should have some sort of warranty but that will mostly only cover the operation of the replaced part/software. No tuner will stump up for a new engine whether caused by their parts/software or whatever.
Whichever way you look at it, unless it is endorsed by the OEM, then tuning is a major risk.
That is why we need real 'Volvo backed' tuning kits and accessories like other manufacturers. Sadly I don't think that will happen.
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:01   #93
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

ahh, bring back the good old days, with my old car with ported head and twin Weber 45s.

No software to worry about there, lol.

Well, until I added in mapped 3D ignition.

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:27   #94
adieu
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
No tuner will stump up for a new engine whether caused by their parts/software or whatever.
Whichever way you look at it, unless it is endorsed by the OEM, then tuning is a major risk.

Dan.

Well now we could argue that point all day. If your washing machine leaks and floods your house who pays for the new carpets?...hmmm that'll be your insurance company.

If a Workman puts a nail through a pipe who pays?...Hmmm that'll be the Workman and/or your insurance/thier Insurance.

If a tuning company through their negligence destroys your car engine who pays?...Hmm that'll be the TUNING COMPANY!!!!!!!

I know i would pursue anyone who through working on my car/house caused a fault or damaged it as I'm sure most of us would.

Regards

Iain
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:31   #95
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk
Unfortunately the absence of any detailed specifics in itself speaks volumes. Other people are being asked for fine tooth comb details and your reply contains absolutely nothing at all.
Quite ironic really because you have chosen to ask the majority of questions in a format which merely requires either a "yes" or a "no" answer. Not all of us are used to writing an entire thesis in reply to a single question / point. In any case, you have at least gotten an answer which is more than a lot of others have received from your preferred tuning company.

Quote:
You are obliged under the terms of commercial users of this forum to provide satisfactory answers and that is what I am requesting.
Is Don the only one bound by the terms you refer to, and your preferred tuning company exempt?

Quote:
The vehicle is V50 Diesel. What more do you need to know in order to be able to answer the question with something meaningful that I can take back to my friend.
I think you should perhaps inform your non-mechanically minded friend that there there isn't a single ECU upgrade out there which will not void his warranty. Anyone who claims otherwise is being utterly dishonest, but then again, there are companies out there who are profoundly dishonest and run their business on that basis. Fortunately (or unfortunately in your case), I think you'll find that Don isn't one to base his business on such practices, hence I think your friend is much better off dealing with another company who will guarantee (albeit dishonestly) that his new car warranty will be intact, which seems to be of importance to him. I think that should be sufficiently "meaningful".

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:34   #96
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
If your car is still under warranty and something breaks after the tuning is done, the warranty company will probably (quite rightly) say 'it was your own fault for taking it out of specs' and not pay up. If you don't tell them something has changed then that is even worse and they will either not pay up if they find out before the repair, or worse, sue you if they have paid up but now want the money back having found out subsequently.
Sure the company that provide the upgrade should have some sort of warranty but that will mostly only cover the operation of the replaced part/software. No tuner will stump up for a new engine whether caused by their parts/software or whatever.
That is why we need real 'Volvo backed' tuning kits and accessories like other manufacturers. Sadly I don't think that will happen.
Dan.
In regards to the cars original warranty i agree, if volvo uk sell you a car and state that they will honour the warranty as long as you keep the car to volvo spec - then thats 100% fair. were back onto the subject of truth and honesty.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:54   #97
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Tuning V50 diesel.

Good evening Liam,

I have answered your question in a straighforward manner, but I regret that I had overlooked your question about the V50 diesel belonging to a friend of yours.

MTE have not yet finished their work in hand on the current diesel engines, so I regret that I cannot offer anything for your good friend, at least from them.

I have heard some good reports of these box gadgets, there are some on the market that come with a disc that allows the customer to make some adjustments throughout the rev. range from the base map supplied to suit any particular demands made on the vehicle.

Regards, Don.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 17:56   #98
Traduk

Pyapp,

I note your observations. I wished to know how much Don would offer without the prompting of specifics. I got my answer and it appears that he volunteers a lot less than he expects from others. As a matter of fact I got nothing.

When he answers my second post specifics can be addressed in subsequent ones.

My friend has asked me to find out about upgrades and his decision will partly be based on what I tell him. Your caveats are of no value to either me or him as I am aware of the implications of what he wishes to do, as is he. In my research I have posed a question and await an answer.

As nice as it was for you to take the trouble to respond I do not believe that you have advanced my quest in the slightest.

Liam
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 18:09   #99
Traduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union
Good evening Liam,

I have answered your question in a straighforward manner, but I regret that I had overlooked your question about the V50 diesel belonging to a friend of yours.

MTE have not yet finished their work in hand on the current diesel engines, so I regret that I cannot offer anything for your good friend, at least from them.

I have heard some good reports of these box gadgets, there are some on the market that come with a disc that allows the customer to make some adjustments throughout the rev. range from the base map supplied to suit any particular demands made on the vehicle.

Regards, Don.
Thanks Don,

So for my friend you cannot offer an MTE upgrade for his vehicle because they do not do one, as yet. I thought you could do all later ones with the exception of old s40\v40's?. Perhaps the answer lies in "at least not from them".

OK if you can do something then tell me what you can offer and we will see if it suits?. If you can do nothing then sorry to have wasted your time on this subject and tomorrow I will address the other questions more specifically.

Regards, Liam
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 18:14   #100
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

I remember talking to MTE about diesels; they only do petrols - more of a passion for tuning and petrol power influence ! hehe

Tell your mate to live with the diesel power and enjoy the benefit of diesel fuel consumption and torque.

Chris