Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

460 mods available?

Views : 832

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:47   #1
rob1sp

Default 460 mods available?

I have just bought a '96 460, mint condition with only 18K on it, have a Green Dynatwist filter on it at present, but am looking to change the exhaust to free the engine up a bit, it feels quite restricted with the standard Cat etc. Is there anywhere that does sports exhausts for 460s? Have done a few searches but nothing is turning up apart from replacement Cat here

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...sub_category=1

Would there be much of a performance gain from fitting one of these to the standard system? If it would be beneficial I'd get one and stick an aftermarket exhaust tip onto the standard sytem, not looking to spend hundreds if there is no gain from it...
rob1sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:09   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

If you carn't get hold of a exhaust system theres always powerflow that will custom make you an exhaust to your requirements,

What engine does your 460 have in it
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 13:17   #3
rob1sp

Got Powerflow Cat-back system made up yesterday, wanted a subtle noise from it and told the guy that before he put it on, it has turned out to be louder than I had wanted before but is growing on me each time I drive it, bit of a drone off it at speed, but thru town etc. it has a nice burble with a bit of a spitting noise in there for good measure!! Not what I had originally planned at all, I have had a few funny looks from pedestrians/ other drivers as it is not the sort of sound you expect to come from a 10-year old Volvo! The only thing I am disappointed with about the car is the lack of induction note coming from the Green Dynatwist cone I fitted, it may be that it is more designed for turbo cars as I took it straight off my previous car (Octavia VRS) hoping that it would make the engine noise a bit more grunty, apart from that I'm still loving it!!!
rob1sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 19:54   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

The induction kit will make a totally differant noise on a N/A car compaired to a turbo one, you won't have the sucking noise a n/a as you would on a turbo
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 00:19   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've come to the conclusion that Powerflow don't give a crap about what you tell them. When my former flatmate had his done, the guy spent loads of time showing him different styles of tailpipe (which he didn't care about), and didn't ask about what the performance criteria were, or what sound he was looking for. The end result was an exhaust which droned like crazy at motorway speeds, and made long distance travel a nightmare.

Honestly (and I'm sorry that this advice comes too late), in my experience air filters and exhausts (the full extent of most 'Max Power' car's modifications) make sweet FA difference to performance on NA cars (although an exhaust system, especially a downpipe, on a turbo car is well worth it). I added 40% to the stock peak bhp figure (naturally aspirated), and didn't touch the exhaust. I'm now approaching the point where it is worthwhile to consider an upgrade (including a tube 4/2/1 manifold), but for the most part it's something to do for cosmetic reasons, rather than performance - especially as a first step. Having said all of that, at least you shouldn't have to touch the exhaust again if you go for further work, and it now sounds meaty

To a large extent, I think the 'modified' car scene mags rant on about exhausts (and similar neat, bolt-on modifications) because suppliers pay a lot to advertise their products with them.

Assuming it's a non-turbo 400, the biggest restriction is most likely to be the intake and throttle body. Upgrading that in a way which works with the stock ECU (assuming it's injection) will be tricky, if not impossible. I'd probably leave it more or less as-is, and buy another one (Turbo) to play around with - big performance gains are easier with a turbo car

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote