Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help, how do I remove synthetic oil spill from carpet

Views : 1722

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:27   #1
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Help, how do I remove synthetic oil spill from carpet

I have just discovered to my dismay that an opened 5litre tub/container of synthetic oil, has fallen over in the cargo area of the V70, even though it was strapped down with a bungee. Net result, best estimate is that around 0.4 litres of oil leaked into a pristine carpet.
The top was on tightly. However, what had not been noticed was that the lid had actually nipped the sealing ring so that when the can was on its side, it leaked!

I have managed to remove most of the oil using a scraper, kitchen roll, a small volume of isopropyl alcohol, (left over from some switch cleaning) and the dreaded wet wipes, but there is still an oily feel to the carpet, and it reeks of synthetic oil (not unlike the cat p*** odour of hypoid gear oil).

I intend to try to “float” the remaining oil off using a steam cleaner and tackle the smell with sodium bicarbonate crystals when I can see what I’m doing in daylight, but I’m not entirely sure that it is such a good idea as I think the charcoal coloured carpet is glued down to the plywood section of the boot floor just over the wheel cover section behind the o/s rear seat.

The oily patch left is approx. five inches by eight inches, a bit bigger than the size of a shoe sole.
It is not really about how it looks – we have a rather long haired golden retriever who acts like a dirt magnet + synthetic oil is toxic for most animals (inc. man), so would rather not expose the dog to its effects.

Any suggestions as to how I might remove the remainder of the oil, get rid of the smell, and bring the carpet back to something like its original appearance?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Mar 7th, 2012 at 21:01. Reason: revised estimate of size of spill
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:54   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...l-from-carpet/
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:39   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Thank you!

Many thanks stevo48 for finding the "solution".

I'll go and get some more isopropyl.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Mar 8th, 2012 at 09:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 19:31   #4
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Isopropyl works

Ok the good news - isopropyl alcohol will remove almost all the synthetic oil spilt on a volvo carpet - the bad news - isopropyl costs around £7.50 for 600mls (from your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist) and so far I'm on the second jumbo kitchen roll @ £2.99 for 550 sheets.

The steam clean is yet to be done, and I think, from what I've read, that it is probably a good idea to "spot clean" it with a fairly concentrated carpet cleaner i.e. around a 33% solution, to lift any remainiing oil before I steam it.

Finallly using bicarb. to get rid of any remaining odour when the carpet has dried.

To be continued.................................

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 22:26   #5
Jameshow

My cheap cleaning solution for oil, is white spirit first then washing up liquid to remove the white spirit and oil / paint etc works in most cases.
Also vanish carpet spray works a treat.
yours James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jameshow For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 23:36   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, As you get to the "home stretch" don't forget Grandma's old favorite--Fuller's Earth. It absorbs lots of things (stains from neckties). Rub it in, vacuum out. Also, finely ground coffee is also an absorbent and odor muter. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:53   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Thanks

My thanks to both of the last posters - I must admit I did think about using white spirit, but was unsure about how the adhesive used to hold the carpet to the plywood would react and a little concerned about its effects it on the protective polystyrene foam covers on the cabling by the seat back and under the wheel cover, but you are right, using it sparingly would make a lot of sense.
Must admit I hadn't thought about using vanish carpet spray - an excellent suggestion.

I especially like the reminder from Georgeandkira about using ground coffee - as well as absorbing the synthetic oil odour, the smell of freshly ground coffee wafting round the car would be delightful.

I will try a combination of all of these later today.

Thanks again.

Alan

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 14:14   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Drying time

Having left the carpet overnight with a wad of kitchen roll over the oil stain, held down with a small paving slab, more oil/isopropyl mixture came out by blotting. Didn't have any vanish carpet spray - so used the 1001 spot spray version we just happened to have left over, then after blotting yet again, used a 30% solution of 1001 carpet cleaner followed by more blotting.

"Borrowed" Karcher steam cleaner from indoors, and using no nozzle other than the one that normally pushes into the extension pipes or various cleaning heads, forced as much unrestricted pressure as possible through the carpet at angle of around 20°. I also used a windscreen scrapper to remove as much hot emulsion as possible from the carpet, before repeating the steaming using cotton cloths to catch the remaining goo.

Absolutely amazed as to how much oil must have been left in - two very soggy, oily, cotton cloths later - the carpet appears to be clean. There is no oily/slick feeling to the pile and no odour left even though the carpet is damp and warm.

Just got to wait for it to dry before finishing it off with bicarb/ Fuller's earth/ or ground coffee - this is going to end up as the most expensive piece of carpet we own - but will smell fantastic - all I need to do now is add the smell of cooking bread and advertise with the local estate agents...............

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 20:27   #9
Mck1

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...l-from-carpet/
Mck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 17:53   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Stain & Odour

OK so, having left the boot floor to dry in the sun for the greater part of the day, whilst most of the stain has gone, the odour of synthetic oil is still present, albeit much reduced.

Also, it has become apparent, that the true size of the stain is around the size of two sheets of A4 paper.

Even though I worked towards the centre of the spill, I suspect that there had been some creep under the carpet along the surface of the plywood.

That's far too big a patch to economically treat with ground coffee or sodium bicarbonate, so, on with a shovel full of Fuller’s earth (Morrison’s cheapest own brand cat litter) and hopefully the remains of the stain and odour will be absorbed over night.

Watch for tomorrow’s thrilling instalment..............................

Tags
carpet, cleaning, smell, synthetic oil