Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 D2 Smoke Issues from Cold

Views : 2821

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2017, 19:51   #1
middleman

Default V40 D2 Smoke Issues from Cold

Hi there Volvoists

I own a 2014 V40 D2 and have noticed on a few occasions starting from cold in the mornings the car is quite rough running and there is quite a lot of blue oil type smoke from the exhausts. This only happens for about 20 seconds or until you give it a rev and then it clears.

The car has just turned 20k and has just had it's 3rd service at the main dealer. It did do something similar to this before it went for it's first service and I mentioned to them, they informed me that it required a software update then which it got (I'm a cynic when it comes to the software update line btw)

Anyone else have this or have an idea what it might be down to?

Thanks

John

More Questions Than Answers...???
middleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 22:11   #2
g4rth

I have a 2013 D2 on 19000 miles with the same problem. I've been told it may be a glow plug problem. I normally refuel at ASDA but when it first started I tried the higher grade diesel at my local Shell garage. This seemed to cure the problem and gave an improved fuel consumption. The car is due a service at the beginning of September, if it doesn't get worse I'll leave it till then.
g4rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 11:21   #3
tomweston

Mine (2013, V40, D2, 30k miles.) does not do anything like that at all, in fact I have never seen any smoke from the back end. Works days it does 15 miles each way on the motorway, 2 or 3 miles on 'A' roads at each end. Weekends mainly a few short journeys if at all.
Good luck, maybe worth phoning Volvo UK for assistance. I had an injector die earlier this year, Volvo UK made the dealer replace it at considerably reduced cost which was then fully covered by my AA garage breakdown insurance.
tomweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 19:18   #4
middleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4rth View Post
I have a 2013 D2 on 19000 miles with the same problem. I've been told it may be a glow plug problem. I normally refuel at ASDA but when it first started I tried the higher grade diesel at my local Shell garage. This seemed to cure the problem and gave an improved fuel consumption. The car is due a service at the beginning of September, if it doesn't get worse I'll leave it till then.
I fuel up at different places, it hasn't done it for a while since so it's maybe just fussy about the fuel and I got a bad tank full. Going to extend the warranty with Volvo to be on the safe side..

More Questions Than Answers...???
middleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 08:39   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

faulty injector
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 00:30   #6
james28296

Default Software

There is a cold start software for this issue just take it to your local volvo dealer and they should sort it. If your car has already had the cold start software it will need it again as service software will erase previous software
james28296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 22:26   #7
claudiuneamt

Default Smoke issues

I have a v40 D2 from 2014 and it showed recently smoke problems when cold and warm plus a strange noise above 2000RPM and other symptoms.
I called the dealer and they recommended that I dont drive the car as its not safe and call volvo assistance. So I did and they took it in Reading Lancaster garage where they saw some smoke 2 days ago and came back to me to ask if they can perform a detailed diagnostic as they think its the injectors and that would cost me 400£. I told them to do it to find out whats going on and as I have VOLVO Selekt warranty they will pay for all. Trouble is that they say that everything is absolutely fine and they cant find any problems with the car even though they saw the smoke and even suggested to investigate further.
So now i`m left with a big bill and the car in the same state. Anyone had anything similar?
claudiuneamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 23:24   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiuneamt View Post
I have a v40 D2 from 2014 and it showed recently smoke problems when cold and warm plus a strange noise above 2000RPM and other symptoms.
I called the dealer and they recommended that I dont drive the car as its not safe and call volvo assistance. So I did and they took it in Reading Lancaster garage where they saw some smoke 2 days ago and came back to me to ask if they can perform a detailed diagnostic as they think its the injectors and that would cost me 400£. I told them to do it to find out whats going on and as I have VOLVO Selekt warranty they will pay for all. Trouble is that they say that everything is absolutely fine and they cant find any problems with the car even though they saw the smoke and even suggested to investigate further.
So now i`m left with a big bill and the car in the same state. Anyone had anything similar?
See James post#6 above ...