Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 XC90 SE D5 DEM replacement

Views : 1419

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2017, 12:55   #1
Ollybee

Default 2004 XC90 SE D5 DEM replacement

Hi
Having issues with my DEM part number 5WP22219-02 HAP511 0610.
It was sent away by volvo to BBA Reman but was returned unable to fix. So i stupidly went and bought another off a scrapped car but totally dfferent part numbers and volvo said can't use.
So i have sourced another with part number 5WP22219-02 HAP511 1137. My question is would this be compatable?
Its starting to look like I'll have to scrap the car as repair bill through volvo is £1735.
Any help greatly appriciated.
Ollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 19:57   #2
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollybee View Post
Hi
Having issues with my DEM part number 5WP22219-02 HAP511 0610.
It was sent away by volvo to BBA Reman but was returned unable to fix. So i stupidly went and bought another off a scrapped car but totally dfferent part numbers and volvo said can't use.
So i have sourced another with part number 5WP22219-02 HAP511 1137. My question is would this be compatable?
Its starting to look like I'll have to scrap the car as repair bill through volvo is £1735.
Any help greatly appriciated.
I think they should be able to code the same part number, but I have never done it. The DEM seems such a simple device and it is crazy how much they charge for one.

Last edited by Acer; Jul 12th, 2017 at 19:59.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 20:37   #3
binty

Unhappy Expensive bits

They are not cheap, had mine replaced in March 15 it came to £1380.

Of this £1224 was the new DEM and £45 was the software reload.

Labour was to much at all.

This included 10% VOC discount, (anther years subscription paid for itself )

I did consider a used part, but as it would be at least 10 years old it seemed a false economy.

Good news is it has been problem free since.
If everything else is good I would probably do it, after all what else are you going to buy?
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 08:29   #4
Ollybee

Thanks Guys for getting back to me. Here in Northern Ireland there is only 3 garages that look after volvos. 2 of which are the same family so prices can be a premium. Put simply couldnt afford the £1735 they where asking to repair.

However saying that i spoke to a few gents in UK. A fella in Wales from FRF who was very helpful and informative. And a fella Graham in Norfolk who explained I'll need correct software for my car. So i managed to buy a refurbished unit from a fella Mark in Nottingham (VOLVO SAAD breakers) who again was very helpful. So hopefully when it arrives it'll be a simple plug in and play to get me back on the road.

Hopefully i can keep her running. Was looking like scrapyard at one point.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 08:56   #5
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys for getting back to me. Here in Northern Ireland there is only 3 garages that look after volvos. 2 of which are the same family so prices can be a premium. Put simply couldnt afford the £1735 they where asking to repair.

However saying that i spoke to a few gents in UK. A fella in Wales from FRF who was very helpful and informative. And a fella Graham in Norfolk who explained I'll need correct software for my car. So i managed to buy a refurbished unit from a fella Mark in Nottingham (VOLVO SAAD breakers) who again was very helpful. So hopefully when it arrives it'll be a simple plug in and play to get me back on the road.

Hopefully i can keep her running. Was looking like scrapyard at one point.
When you say refurbished, what has been done to it? I must say I agree with Binty about new parts but let's be honest there comes a point where there is little financial point in spending that sort of cash. If you can genuinely see yourself driving the car for another three to five years then it is worth it. I have spent a fortune on mine. It has so many new parts, but I would definitely try to have a unit repaired next time if possible. Did you remove the DEM yourself? Your experience of the part being returned as unable to repair is not unusual. I made the point on another thread. It is a right pain to lose all that time only to be told nothing can be done. Also there is no peace of mind from a guarantee.

Last edited by Acer; Jul 13th, 2017 at 09:03.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:51   #6
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
When you say refurbished, what has been done to it? I must say I agree with Binty about new parts but let's be honest there comes a point where there is little financial point in spending that sort of cash. If you can genuinely see yourself driving the car for another three to five years then it is worth it. I have spent a fortune on mine. It has so many new parts, but I would definitely try to have a unit repaired next time if possible. Did you remove the DEM yourself? Your experience of the part being returned as unable to repair is not unusual. I made the point on another thread. It is a right pain to lose all that time only to be told nothing can be done. Also there is no peace of mind from a guarantee.
Also take a look at these reviews for BBA Reman. Pretty bad to say the least. If you are going for a repair then someone with specific Volvo experience like Lukas from Volvo Diagnostic seems the way to go.

https://www.yell.com/biz/bba-reman-l...09047/#reviews

Last edited by Acer; Jul 14th, 2017 at 09:54.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 08:44   #7
Ollybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Also take a look at these reviews for BBA Reman. Pretty bad to say the least. If you are going for a repair then someone with specific Volvo experience like Lukas from Volvo Diagnostic seems the way to go.

https://www.yell.com/biz/bba-reman-l...09047/#reviews
Thats not good. BBA was the ome used to repair my unit but came back saying unrepairable. So bought a refurb unit from guys in nottingham. Unfortunately i fitted it on Saturday and guess what no difference. Still says anti skid service required and engine service required. Still in limp mode. What change gear like it should. No torque or acceleration.

Im having a absolute nightmare with this fecking volvo...

I havent driven it niw for over 2 months. First 3 weeks was to get steering rack refurbished.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 21:19   #8
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Thats not good. BBA was the ome used to repair my unit but came back saying unrepairable. So bought a refurb unit from guys in nottingham. Unfortunately i fitted it on Saturday and guess what no difference. Still says anti skid service required and engine service required. Still in limp mode. What change gear like it should. No torque or acceleration.

I havent driven it niw for over 2 months. First 3 weeks was to get steering rack refurbished.
You may have to bite the bullet and get Volvo to fix it. How exactly was it refurbished? It needs to be programmed for your vehicle I believe. Only Volvo or someone with the same software can do that. If you now gave the right part number then ask Volvo if they can programme it for you. How much did the rack refurb cost out of interest?

Last edited by Acer; Jul 24th, 2017 at 21:25.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:52   #9
spokoluzik
Trader

Quote:

Try disconnecting main plug off dem and see if car is still in limp mode.
By the way did you try to read codes??

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 12:51   #10
diro

2 month ago we have had xc90 54 plate to repair. DEM was messing about so badly CANbus even diagnostics could not connect to the car at all. RED triangle and message ABS malfunction, engine limp mode - visit workshop. Been wondering how the engine could be started. Cut long story short, DEM was unplugged, CANbus was sorted - no limp modes, car been driving fine only message on the dash "Antiskid service required" which is very much expected when you have DEM unplugged.