Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting a tow bar V40 T2

Views : 1104

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 17:48   #1
GrahamCarol

Default Fitting a tow bar V40 T2

Hi

For some reason the tow bar ordered on the build sheet was not fitted and I was not charged for it. The dealer is some 250 miles away they advised my local dealer could do it. I have just found out a national trailer and tow bar company on the same estate fitts all the Volvo main dealer tow bars. Volvo price £850.00
the company that does the work for the Volvo agent £290 for the same brand tow bar. I need some comments thoughts and the pit falls

Thanks
GrahamCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 19:12   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Most Volvo genuine bars are brink,

I would get the towbar supplier to fit the bar and then take it to Volvo for them to fit the electrics as there basically plug and play and no cutting into wires like a non Volvo kit
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 08:59   #3
soleil

GrahamCarol
Is that the price for the detachable or fixed towbar? Used to have a detachable on the old VW and although the towbar was used a lot, it was detached once if memory serves. Went for a fixed on the XC60 as a result. Found the detaching and re-attaching far too much faff. Also an extra layer of protection if someone shunts into you from the rear.
We chose a dealer fit for the Volvo guarantees, the towbar linking with the rear parking sensor system and the addition of TSA (towing stability assist) - part of the Volvo ESC I believe.
Talk to the dealer and you should get a discount if you're a member of the Volvo Owners Club - and as it was 'forgotten' see what else can be given as an apology.
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 02:20   #4
GrahamCarol

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
GrahamCarol
Is that the price for the detachable or fixed towbar? Used to have a detachable on the old VW and although the towbar was used a lot, it was detached once if memory serves. Went for a fixed on the XC60 as a result. Found the detaching and re-attaching far too much faff. Also an extra layer of protection if someone shunts into you from the rear.
We chose a dealer fit for the Volvo guarantees, the towbar linking with the rear parking sensor system and the addition of TSA (towing stability assist) - part of the Volvo ESC I believe.
Talk to the dealer and you should get a discount if you're a member of the Volvo Owners Club - and as it was 'forgotten' see what else can be given as an apology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
GrahamCarol

Without Prejudice

Both prices were for a fixed swan neck as I was told the other type that is fixed caused issues eith the reversing sensors one poster advised brink supplied the Volvo two bar, Brink on line fitted price is £496.97 but it does not state if it is inc or ex VAT if VAT is added it comes to £596.36 Still £200.00 cheaper than the main dealer but twice the price the Volvo fitter has quoted me . However Rooster says Volvo uses Brink and I do not know what brand the company that fits the main dealers tow bar uses. As fleet cars we use BMWs 5 series tourers (no tow bar) but are looking to down size to hatch backs , a Witter tow bar was fitted to a 1 series and cost £425 inc VAT which was ordered at the sane time as the Volvo. Witter also do one for the V40 at £450 both are fitted price with the electric kit.

As our local Volvo dealer was not competitive on the price of the V40 and wanted to sell us a Honda we took the business to another Volvo dealer, the V40 went in for its 12 week inspection at the local dealer, the dealer was not very receptive, so if we supply electric kit and only ask them to fix I feel they will out price the work or try to sell me a Honda, which may be a good idea as since March to date the V40 has done just over 300 miles as no one wants to drive it.

I will contact Brink by telephone today as their in house mail does not seem work.

As for getting anything out of Volvo it is like getting blood out of a stone, all they want to do is pass the issue on to their suppliers or resellers . I have dealt with several motor manufacturers over the years but Volvo UK appears no longer wants to give a service just get the sale.

Perhaps Volvo's owners Zhejiang Geely Holding (Geely Holding) of China. are hoping buyers remember the quality of Swedish marque to maintain sales

This link may be of interest and hold some truth.

https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/guid...t-my-warranty/

Thanks and any advice welcome

Graham
GrahamCarol is offline   Reply With Quote