Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel or Petrol in a few years.

Views : 656

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 23:28   #11
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
So you're happy about the increased carbon your car pumps out, global warming? polar bears on ice floes? Island nations being swamped by rising waters? Me? i'me happy with emissions controls and less, not more pollution.
You are clearly a good European citizen, and you will make European society conform more closely to the visions of its politicians. Personally, I subscribe to science, not politics.

If more detail... plenty other parts of the world are genuinely worried about climate change, and other environmental problems. Only the EU, nobody else, thought that Diesel engines would be the solution... and the EU has been proven wrong.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 23:37   #12
Whippy
Premier Member

Ah, so, diesel doesn't put out less carbon than a comparible petrol engine. That's interesting!
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 07:01   #13
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Actually, I think the diesel people will come to their senses.

Popular wisdom is that diesels are more torquey and good to drive, but that view tends to be held by people who previously drove a naturally aspirated petrol, and are comparing it with a turbo diesel. They are sometimes oblivious to the fact that many petrol cars have turbos too, nowadays.

I have yet to meet anybody who switched from a diesel turbo to a petrol turbo, and regretted their decision. Sooo much nicer to drive, Sooo much more refined for passengers, and a clear conscience for those of us who care about the environment.
I did.
My first Volvo was a 460 turbo diesel 1.9 litre, loved it. When it was written off I baught a petrol S40 turbo 1.9 engine hated it, slow and thirsty in comparison. No power bellow 2000 rpm and needed to thrash it to make it move at any pace, resulting fuel economy was a joke.
Took a huge hit and chopped it in for a 2.4 TDI v70 and after 10 years changed it for a D5 xc70.

I keep my cars a long time and whole life pollution of my 24 year old 200,000 mile landrover is less than a modern hybrids.

That government has diesel in its sights at present is evident, I don't mind not visiting cities but how we going to manage with hybrid trucks when diesel hgvs are banned from cities?

My xc is only 8 years old so not changing it for a long time yet and the landrover will be the last to go.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 08:05   #14
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've just moved to a Superb 2.0d auto. I'm getting 50-52 in day to day travel, 55-57 on longer journeys. This is brim to brim testing, not the trip computer which over reads by 4mpg.

Anyone thinking they are unpleasant, slow, unresponsive etc hasn't been in one. The petrol version will use significantly more fuel, no question.

I'm not accepting moral superiority from petrol drivers. Both pollute, both have issues. I'm also very comfortable with my overall pollution output in comparison with others.

There are much bigger fish to fry than diesel cars but they are an easy target to hammer, a good bogeyman. I'm looking forward to progress being made in the next 3 years and I will happily look at a hybrid version next time around when hopefully many more will be on the market at an affordable level.
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 11:22   #15
Grimble
Grimble

Hammering diesels with more tax will bring in a short term revenue for the gov, but as people change vehicles, so the pendulum will swing. The overall tax take will not decrease.

Global warming will continue (or not) despite anything I do, and I object to the self righteous nature of the debate. The greatest thing anybody can do for the environment wherever you live on the planet is not to have children.

Intelligent adaptation to the environment is what put humans at the top of the food chain, not staying in caves for the 'greater good'.

I will happily adapt to the change in climate (if there is any) and will continue to travel around in the vehicle of my choice unless forced to do otherwise.