Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cooling pipes

Views : 2359

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2016, 15:26   #1
Pentahaus

Default Cooling pipes

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping that I won't be shunned for not actually owning a Volvo car. I'm actually restoring several Volvo Penta AQ170's that are based on B30 engines in Volvo 164 cars. My issue involves the cooling pipes for both engines. These pipes are no longer available from Volvo so I need to find a way to manufacture them. These pipes press into the various castings such as the circulation pump, distribution block and oil cooler. I need to learn how to crimp these pipes with the required collar that accepts and holds in place the rubber seal. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Regards

Corey
Pentahaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 15:55   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Presume you mean the metal pipe that runs from the bottom outlet of the water pump to the back of the block? Replacement water pumps usually come with rubber seals for that joint but (from memory as my 164 isn't here) the rear end merely pushes into the rubber hose thence on to the heater.
Can photograph metal pipe when next at my store if it might help.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 16:14   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Are you saying that you have no pipes at all to check? AFAIK on the B18/20 the seals are retained by a suitably sized but thickish, narrow washer that is brazed to the tube. This is positioned to put the seal under a small amount of pressure when the pipe is bolted up.

Example - one end has a ring for the seal and the other a bead for retaining and sealing a hose.
http://www.classicvolvoimports.co.uk...et-pipe-b18b20
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 23:39   #4
Pentahaus

Thanks for the quick response! This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have one very corroded example of this pipe. I tried to purchase new ones but all the companies in North America that used to stock it say they are out of production. It seems that CVI has them in stock but the cost of one landed here in Canada is exorbitant. ( I just went back to the website and noticed that they are available for the B20 but not the B30.)

I also need to be able to reproduce the 7/8 OD pipes used on the marine version of the B30. The collar is not braised on though. It's the result of a crimping of the pipe to create this collar. Braising a collar on isn't a bad idea though if I can't find the tool to recreate this feature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160721_152903.jpg (384.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160721_153115.jpg (112.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160721_153242.jpg (125.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Pentahaus; Jul 22nd, 2016 at 00:06. Reason: new information available
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 13:09   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

I note copper pipes so I assume you're setting these up for possible sea water use. eBay gets some hits for Penta b30 water pipes but I can't see the actual rusty pump pipe. That one might be the same as a road B30. It looks similar to a B18/20 one but the part number is different.
Try https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?model=140-160
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 15:17   #6
Pentahaus

Thanks again for valuable input,

Right on both counts. The corroded pump is from an AQ170 that was converted to fresh water cooling with the addition of a heat exchanger. In this type of system a B30 circulation pump is used. That's my plan for my own craft. I'm also restoring several engines that were destined for the junk yard. It's true that the copper pipes are often on eBay. The problem is that copper is soft and after 40 years of use the pipes are most often damaged. Once a pipe has been squashed it's virtually impossible to restore resulting in improper cooling and leaks.

This discussion has given me two ideas. One is to fashion a pipe for the B30 pump using stainless steel with the addition of the collar welded on. If I can't find the tool for the copper that creates this collar through crimping I'll make something similar by soldering a collar in place.

I do wonder if the B20 and B30 pipes really differ. They sure look like the same part.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 21:55   #7
srs4164

The difference in the B20 and B30 pipes is probably in the length, since the B30 is longer. - was thinking you were talking about the pipe that goes from the front to the back, then your pics finally appeared - though the B20 and B30 water pumps are different, I would also think the pipe your talking about is the same for both, but its not anything I've ever even thought about before

Last edited by srs4164; Jul 22nd, 2016 at 22:00. Reason: just saw pics
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
164, aq170, b30