Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turning off headlamps- XC90

Views : 1754

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2017, 19:10   #21
Father Ted
Master Member

Thanks for the, erm , interesting input.
Funnily enough, the car I use for work (I only do about 36000 miles per year in it, so maybe it's not a reliable comparison), allows me to control the headlights.

My reason for turning them off is that the constant heat on the plastic lenses is causing degradation. I would like to slow this down. Happily have it set to side lights, but I still don't see the point.

I figure that, if someone can't see an XC90, a couple of lights won't make an awful lot of difference.
I understand the arguments for a rural setting, but I live in a town and, when driving in narrow country lanes I could (and do) use the factory fitted switch, conveniently placed adjacent to the steering wheel to illuminate the front lights and assist on-comers.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 06:50   #22
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Your u need to keep the car out of daylight as it is the UV in daylight that causes the fogging of the lenses, not any heat from the bulbs.

It is a 10 min job to polish them sparking again and it will last for 5 years or so.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 09:35   #23
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think you're both right . On my previous XC70, the cloudiness was on both sides of the lens, and white you can polish the outside, there is nothing that can readily be done to the inside without splitting the headlight unit to extracate the lens.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 18:58   #24
Father Ted
Master Member

Yep, Simon is right.
I've given the outside a quick go with an abrasive polish, followed by T cut.
They've come up better, but there is still "crazing" on the inside which looks to me like heat damage.
I had a quick go at getting one open, but that's definitely a job for when I can commit the time. Looks like it will take a lot of patience.

Don't know about 5 years. I had to do them every 6 months on my Estima.
Tried everything from toothpaste to a full sand paper, progressively finer, then polish, then T cut.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 19:31   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I use the Meguires kit from Halfords on the Clio and the MX5 and that is why I know it has lasted 5 years

The Clio will need doing again for this winter but the MX5 will last another year at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 21:13   #26
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

I've had the lights switched off on my V70 and just to be different I've wired the amber front side lights to be on as DRL's. (yes it is legal it have amber front lights)
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 21:48   #27
noscralc

Well from my experience lights on or off you are invisible to some idiots who will still pull out on you---they are everywhere !!
noscralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 22:12   #28
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I need to polish mine every year , but slowly the inside is degrading, its got to fail an mot soon, doesn't look too difficult to split the headlights (hardest bit is getting permission to use the oven !) and ill have a go if it is an mot fail
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 22:23   #29
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
I need to polish mine every year , but slowly the inside is degrading, its got to fail an mot soon, doesn't look too difficult to split the headlights (hardest bit is getting permission to use the oven !) and ill have a go if it is an mot fail
Dave
I've already been told NO to using the oven!

Had a quick go with a paint stripping heat gun on low setting. I think this will work, but it'll take time.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 22:42   #30
Father Ted
Master Member

Well, I bought a Dice unit and VIDA and have turned my lights off.
However, the rule of unintended consequences:
I have gotten so used to them being permanently on, that I now forget to turn them off.
Now, the car has so many bings, bongs and boings for various warnings, does anyone know if I can have it boing if I leave my lights on and turn the ignition off?
If not, I'll fit a 12v buzzer....