Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Insurance - Warning

Views : 1350

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 17:35   #1
bigcj

Default Volvo Insurance - Warning

I have just had my Volvo Insurance renewal arrived, I expected a slight increase but not expect an £59.00 increase to £339.00. It does get better, I do a quick check with Aviva and Direct Line the cheapest quote £181. I contact Volvo Insurance in an attempt to negotiate a lower premium. The best they offer is a reduction to £320, to my horror the representative sensing my dissatisfaction told me that if I moved to one of these other companies and I needed to repair my vehicle they could insist that they use recycled or non Volvo parts even if repaired at a Volvo main dealer. I have contacted my main dealer who confirmed my suspicion that this total rubbish and that all parts would be new Volvo genuine parts. You may wish to consider this apparent scare tactic used by Volvo Car Insurance. My complaint is now submitted and I am awaiting a response. I will keep you informed.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigcj For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 19:36   #2
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

They will only be genuine Volvo if repaired at a Volvo dealer but very few insurers will use them and instead use their approved centres who will use aftermarket parts but they will never use used or recycled parts unless its an older car and that parts not obtainable.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:58   #3
green van man
Premier Member

I'm with Volvo insurance, my premium went down by £56 this year.
It's not the cheapest, never has been and hopefully I never need to find out how good their repairs are but having spent many years around body shops I have seen the dodges and shoddy work far too often from some, preferred repair centres. They are preferred because of cost, nothing else.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:16   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

I had my old V40 repaired using a second hand bonnet and grill. I wasn't happy about it but it was that or the car was written off.

Insurers will try and force you to use their approved repairer but you can demand any garage do the work! When you don't use the approved repairer, you may be charged an additional excess fee and the insurance company will not get involved in any complaints about the standard of the work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...our-crash.html

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 23:36   #5
bigcj

Default Complaint outcome

My complaint is now concluded and I will not be renewing with VOI. Firstly on the issue of other companies allowing your vehicle to be repaired by a Volvo main dealer I have only had time to check with 2 companies. Direct Line no problem using a main dealer but you could loose entitlement to a courtesy although this is dependent on blame. Aviva stated you can have the vehicle repaired at main dealer but they charge an additional £200 excess that may be recovered from 3rd party if appropriate to blame. As previously stated my dealer stated that they would only use new genuine parts to repair and they have never been asked by any insurance company to use recycled or non Volvo parts.
As far as VOI are concerned following my conversion with a manager I suspect they will continue to use this misinformation tactic to influence customers when taking out a policy with them or renewing, playing on our desire for our treasured Volvo's to be repaired to a high standard. I will await the written reply before deciding on my next action.
I hope this has been useful and I appreciate the comments added to my post.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigcj For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 00:08   #6
Bill_56
Premier Member

Do main dealers actually do any bodywork repairs, these days?

I've assumed for a while they'd just subcontract it out, maybe to the same cheap and cheerful shop that insurers would use. Only an 'approved' bodyshop have paid whatever levy is imposed to have themselves listed as a 'Volvo approved repairer', or some such marketing spell.

Only bodywork I've ever had done was my Saab, after significant vandalism damage. New wing, two doors reskinned, and entire side repainted. Done by bodyshop nominated by Insurers and quality was perfect in every detail. Paint match was beyond perfect and new panels were indistinguishable, may have been Saab or 3rd party, I never found out.

They even offered to touch in any other minor damage at a big discount, while they were "at it".
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 22:18   #7
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Do main dealers actually do any bodywork repairs, these days?.
Only if the dealership is big enough and has a bodyshop too,thats a rare thing these days, also they will be taking on work from other dealers and insurance companies too regardless of car make, if they don't have one the work will be sent to an approved body repair place
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 01:48   #8
pagan8c
Master Member

I was with Volvo Insurance for 4 years until this year when it was going to change from RSA to the new company. I was not happy about the premium hike as RSA kept it pretty much the same for the years before. Also on reading some of the small print it was not as good as RSA. They would not reduce the premium they quoted for renewal so saved over £100 and moved. I was also told that other insurance companies used 2nd hand parts and non standard but as others have said the new insurance company allow you to use a main dealer for a small excess so I am not bothered. These threats or implied substandard work left a nasty taste and was another reason to change as well.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 12:14   #9
IamDave

I'm glad you've posted this as I had a little run in with Volvo Insurance when I renewed this year.

Last year I rang around for quotes and Volvo insurance quoted me something like £480 for the year versus £410ish with Aviva (who were my current insurer at the time). After speaking again to Volvo insurance they agreed to do it for £430ish (agreed 10% off) and at the time I thought it's not much more and it's (supposedly) better cover with more assurances over proper repairs.

Went to renew this year and was fully prepared to go with Volvo insurance again (for the supposed better cover) and the quote was £520!! (they offered me £10 off though so its all good of course). Being stunned by the £100 odd pound premium increase I went and got quotes elsewhere and Aviva gave me a quote of £415 but I think I managed to get it down to £395. They then agreed to give me the online discount (I was unable to complete the quote online due to having the Polestar optimisation) so ended up with £355 for the year.

I argued with the chap on the phone at Volvo insurance about the price and he replied with, and I'm paraphrasing "well due to insurance premium rises (which I accept), and the fact we offer repairs with genuine Volvo parts meaning our costs are higher that's why your premium is more than any other insurers". On top of this I accused them of valuing new customers over existing customers as last year they offered 10% off to get my custom yet this year it was a measly £10 to which the reply was simply "we only give you our best price, why would we lie and tell you we can do it for X when we can actually do it for Y" to which I replied "clearly that's not the case as I was offered discount last year, which had I not probed for, I wouldn't of got. So clearly you were trying to con me out of money last year and think you can do the same this year and it's not happening, I'm not an idiot". I said good day and put the phone down.

Your post about the reply from the dealers has reassured me. I did read about the excess charge in Aviva's policy so was aware that selecting a main dealer was an option so will certainly look at this should (hopefully never) the need arise.

Apologies for hijacking with my rant but felt the clear lying and conning nature of Volvo Car Insurance needed exposing!
Rebel Blue.

Last edited by IamDave; Aug 20th, 2017 at 12:16.
IamDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamDave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 19:31   #10
honeybear

Default Volvo to expensive

I am with Volvo Insurance and am dreading the renewal notice coming through the door in September.
Just phoned Volvo main dealer for quote on second service........................£420.You have got to be kidding on a V40 T2 Petrol..........No I had heard him right. The car is on Personal lease..
Can I Go somewhere else for the service?
So if the insurance goes up to £520.
an increase of £220
and the service increase of £200 (last year was £220)
So in one hit £400 increase in one year.
Shame but the car goes back.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honeybear For This Useful Post: