Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New, to me, XC90 2004 D5

Views : 601

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 19:21   #1
Kersh

Default New, to me, XC90 2004 D5

Hi All,

I got rid of my V70 T5, and picked up an XC90 D5 (3 kids and all that!) , here she is, a whopping 183000 miles, first registered in Northern Ireland in 2004.

Everything checked out on inspection and test drive, it seems to be a high enough spec, satnav, upgraded radio/Phone which I assume wont work at this stage?

It also has the buttons in the rear for the DVD system, but no screens in the headrest, how can I check if these have been changed out, or do all models come with the buttons?

So far only issue is the door check strap on rear left door, and the cup holder lid not closing in the front.

Im happy out so far! But if anyone has any advice on the above, much appreciated.

Last edited by Kersh; Aug 15th, 2017 at 19:37.
Kersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 20:12   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersh View Post
Everything checked out on inspection and test drive, it seems to be a high enough spec, satnav, upgraded radio/Phone which I assume wont work at this stage?
Phone works fine
It is a GSM 900/1800 phone and will work with any provider on a 900/1800 network
I was just in the UK with my MY2009 XC90 with phone and my phone worked fine, I think it was roaming on Vodafone UK at the time.

Quote:
It also has the buttons in the rear for the DVD system, but no screens in the headrest, how can I check if these have been changed out, or do all models come with the buttons?
Do you mean the buttons on the C pillar?
These are headphone sockets and controls. The rear seat passenger can plug in headphones and listen to a different or the same audio source on the stereo
eg the driver can listen to radio, and the rear seat passenger can listen to CD, or vice versa.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 20:16   #3
Kersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Phone works fine
It is a GSM 900/1800 phone and will work with any provider on a 900/1800 network
I was just in the UK with my MY2009 XC90 with phone and my phone worked fine, I think it was roaming on Vodafone UK at the time.
Do I just put the sim in the holder? Theres no bluetooth is there?

Many thanks for the reply

The Satnav comes on, but says an error about the disc, and thats as far as I can get. Any idea where I might start looking?
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:02   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Do I just put the sim in the holder? Theres no bluetooth is there?
Correct. Same as a GSM cellphone, the car's GSM phone won't work without a SIM card.
So fit a SIM card, and it will work.
Bluetooth did not appear in Volvo XC90s until 2011 or 2012

Quote:
The Satnav comes on, but says an error about the disc, and thats as far as I can get. Any idea where I might start looking?
Read the nav diagnostics. Hit BACK-ENTER-BACK-ENTER while the nav is booting up / powering up to go into diagnostics mode and then read the screens about the mech and disc. What do they say? Be as precise as possible.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 10:04   #5
Kersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Read the nav diagnostics. Hit BACK-ENTER-BACK-ENTER while the nav is booting up / powering up to go into diagnostics mode and then read the screens about the mech and disc. What do they say? Be as precise as possible.
I cant seem to get it to go into a diagnostic code. The only message it brings up is

"The disc in the DVD player cannot be read, pleae check the disc"

Followed by a message to contact Volvo.

I did find the colour code, 456-46, Crystal Green Pearl, and the trim code us C970.

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 10:52   #6
gmonag
Premier Member

Is there an RTI disk in the player (under the front passenger seat)?. Take it out and clean it and put it back, label up.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:38   #7
Kersh

Quote:
Is there an RTI disk in the player (under the front passenger seat)?. Take it out and clean it and put it back, label up.
Should it eject when I open the flap? If so, theres none in it.

Thanks for all of the help so far

Last edited by Kersh; Aug 17th, 2017 at 12:00.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 15:39   #8
AidanC

It sounds like there's a disc/foreign object in there or else the unit thinks that there is, judging by message that you're getting. You might have to take it out (easy) and dismantle it (not quite as easy) to see what's happening.
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 15:54   #9
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Should it eject when I open the flap?
Yes it should