Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel or Petrol in a few years.

Views : 657

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 20:21   #1
steadvex
Master Member

Default Diesel or Petrol in a few years.

I know there is a big thing of people buying petrol cars at the moment, I suspect in 2-3 years the demand will be back for diesel.

We've had a few customers say how they will never buy a diesel, test drive the same car both diesel and petrol and end up buying the diesel....Now I personally feel after people buying new cars now, in 2-3 years time will miss the power and economy from the diesel...anyone else think there will be a fad of new petrol's for the next year or so then go back to diesel?

considering euro 5 + cars aren't supposed t be affected by any potential diesel tax, which is actually just a myth at this point, I don't get why its affecting new car sales?

Considering how many people seem to go out of the way to make cars emit more dangerous emissions by removing emission control systems, I find it odd the current anti diesel trend...
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 20:41   #2
Bill_56
Premier Member

Actually, I think the diesel people will come to their senses.

Popular wisdom is that diesels are more torquey and good to drive, but that view tends to be held by people who previously drove a naturally aspirated petrol, and are comparing it with a turbo diesel. They are sometimes oblivious to the fact that many petrol cars have turbos too, nowadays.

I have yet to meet anybody who switched from a diesel turbo to a petrol turbo, and regretted their decision. Sooo much nicer to drive, Sooo much more refined for passengers, and a clear conscience for those of us who care about the environment.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:03   #3
steadvex
Master Member

I personally feel both petrol and diesel are bad and both stop gaps until full electric of whatever replacement comes.

We have a couple of courtesy cars, V40's petrol and diesel, diesel averaging 55-60mpg, petrol 30-35mpg. D2/T2, to me this is like for like in engines.

Small non turbo city cars i feel are better suited to petrol and larger cars suited to diesel, just my opinion of course.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:29   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
We have a couple of courtesy cars, V40's petrol and diesel, diesel averaging 55-60mpg, petrol 30-35mpg. D2/T2, to me this is like for like in engines.
I don't doubt that these are the official figures, but how many people drive a courtesy car for long enough to verify them?

I predict that now the 'VW scandal' has exposed EU diesel testing as a political scam, we'll begin to see much more realistic (reduced) diesel mpg claims. Petrol mpg claims are less likely to be affected, as they would have been scrutinised by scientifically competent regions, not just the EU.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:37   #5
Dancake
Premier Member

Doing the maths at the current fuel rates, a petrol engine covering on average 40mpg would cost an additional £1400+ a year in fuel vs the Euro 3 D5. That's car insurance and a full years golf club membership paid for, with enough left over for frequent visits to the 19th. Why would anyone voluntarily pay over the odds for personal travel? Petrol car owners must have money to burn.

If you're really that concerned about the environment, go buy a pedal bike. The yearly vehicle emissions coming from petrol and diesel cars from these little islands aren't even a patch on what comes out of a cruise liner or a freight trains.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:39   #6
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

was in the dealership today buying brake pads ( genuine were actually cheaper than europarts) and the diesel v petrol topic came up , they reckon volvo were or are ( cant remember which ) were stopping production of diesels and were going to 3 cylinder petrol , petrol/hybrid motors.
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:41   #7
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I don't doubt that these are the official figures, but how many people drive a courtesy car for long enough to verify them?

I predict that now the 'VW scandal' has exposed EU diesel testing as a political scam, we'll begin to see much more realistic (reduced) diesel mpg claims. Petrol mpg claims are less likely to be affected, as they would have been scrutinised by scientifically competent regions, not just the EU.
the official figures are a lot higher, these are the figures we actually get on a daily basis. We've had the cars around 18 months. I think the official combined figures are 55 for the petrol and 87 for the diesel.

I don't think its fair to compare tax, but the diesels are £0 and the petrol's £140, obviously that's changed to be fairer now.

I feel VW have ruined diesels for everyone, the dpf systems on the 5 cylinders have been pretty bullet proof, think its too soon to determine how the VEA engines are going, I admit the PSA engines are a pain with the regular replacement and additive refill.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:42   #8
AndrewBrown

Default Petrol car because.....sorry it goes on a bit

They (the Gov) say its about environmental pollution and that petrol is better for it but....

Firstly they said that about diesel and convinced everyone to buy a diesel car, but now they were wrong and say it's the other way around,
this makes me think that the engineered the situation on purpose (don't think for a moment they don't think like this, they do) so they could tax people more then offer incentives to car owners to swap to petrol buying new cars so more tax ( vat and car tax for the gov) at the point of sale. then put up road tax for diesels making petrol more attractive to the public.

Also the biggest polluters are container ships that have the world biggest diesel engines they don't have cats or car like restrictions forced on them, indecently it's reported that the 5 biggest container ships put out more diesel pollution in a year than all the diesel cars in the up together.

the other big diesels are big generator sets there are plenty of places that use diesel generators for the country's electricity supply and nothing else 24hrs a day everyday

also diesel and diesel electric trains have huge engines spewing out all over the country too and also construction plant machines are not subject to cats tax etc

The gov thing is all about tax not the environment if it was they would have electric trains everywhere but the gov have cancelled the electrification of a lot of rail routes

Tax Tax Tax that's it in the near future we are going to be screwed over regarding diesel cars a situation engineered by the government.

Does anyone remember back when diesel cars were a lot less common than now and diesel was about a third cheaper than petrol as it should be because its a lot quicker and easier to refine than petrol?

But now diesel is more popular all of a sudden diesel is more than petrol and it's not the oil companies pricing its tax

so you screwed because if you have a diesel I think the resale in the future will be a fraction of the same petrol model and the cost of diesel will be sky high for the car driver

if the governments spent as much money on refining a pollution free or extremely low fuel as they have in inventing ways to tax us things would be better

Mazda have a new extremely low pollution engine to be out in 2019 that is petrol that runs on a diesel type compression ignition cycle and its really powerful compared to the same Otto cycle engines Mazda have.

So call me cynical but I'm convinced petrol is the thing to buy because you will be "forced" to in future
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:46   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Actually, I think the diesel people will come to their senses.

Popular wisdom is that diesels are more torquey and good to drive, but that view tends to be held by people who previously drove a naturally aspirated petrol, and are comparing it with a turbo diesel. They are sometimes oblivious to the fact that many petrol cars have turbos too, nowadays.

I have yet to meet anybody who switched from a diesel turbo to a petrol turbo, and regretted their decision. Sooo much nicer to drive, Sooo much more refined for passengers, and a clear conscience for those of us who care about the environment.
So you're happy about the increased carbon your car pumps out, global warming? polar bears on ice floes? Island nations being swamped by rising waters? Me? i'me happy with emissions controls and less, not more pollution.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 21:47   #10
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
was in the dealership today buying brake pads ( genuine were actually cheaper than europarts) and the diesel v petrol topic came up , they reckon volvo were or are ( cant remember which ) were stopping production of diesels and were going to 3 cylinder petrol , petrol/hybrid motors.
Dave
be interesting, there has been talk of the 3 cylinder for years I thought, the current VEA engines will be around a long time.

I've been curious to Volvo's announcement to stop diesel development, I thought the current generation engine shared a lot between diesel and petrol, is it that the engines will just be gradually improved now until they are phased out? I know I don't fancy the idea of a 3 pot diesel!

I know everything will be hybrid/full EV, I personally hope they can make a good hybrid like the ampera with an engine purely as a generator with drive 100% from the electric motor, in that instance I see a small petrol generator would be a lot quieter than a diesel one, and I would assume easily provide enough power, and possible to swap to a fuel cell if that ever pans out, but if they stick to the current FWD + engine and RWD + motor I think they'll keep having the option of diesel or petrol, at least for the short term