Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

12v System Service Required?

Views : 9684

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2018, 16:46   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default 12v System Service Required?

Got amber warning today, with battery symbol and “12v System Service Required”.
Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Thank you.

tem.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 17:17   #2
Bernard F

I had it, means battery low needs a charge or long run.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 17:30   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I had it, means battery low needs a charge or long run.
Thanks.
I did wonder if the car needs a long run as I have not used it much lately.
Will try and get a few miles in tomorrow and see if that clears the amber warning.

tem.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 16:58   #4
KillieShez

I have had this warning for the last 2 weeks, the car went into the dealership last week who were saying that they had never seen this error on a Volvo before.

They had the car for a week called after 2 days to let me know that Volvo had been involved and that there were parts on there way to fix the issue, got a call 2 days later to say that the parts were out of stock and didn't know when they were due in so i picked the car back up with the fault still showing.

Got a call the next day to say the parts would we in on Thursday, took the car back in today, got a call in the afternoon to say the new parts and software updates have not fixed the problem so Volvo want to connect to the car to check the wiring.

I have only had the car for 4 weeks so this is very fustrating.
KillieShez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 17:56   #5
Tresco85

We had this the day we picked the car up, had the demo of everything and went to drive off and noticed this on the display so went straight back in and it went in the workshop, they come out and said they didn't know what it was but take it for a run which we did and it then went and we have never seen it again in the last 6 months.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 18:08   #6
tem
Premier Member

Last night, I searched the latest online manual to try and find the warning “12v System Service required” and could not find any reference.

Going back to yesterday when the amber warning came on, I continued and drove approximately 16 miles.
Taking onboard what post #2 had to say, I checked the battery voltage before starting the car this morning: 12.18 volts.
On starting the car I found that the amber warning and message had cleared.
Drove approximately 25 miles with the AC off and after leaving the car for 20 minutes, checked the voltage again: 12.40 volts.

I can only assume, with this spell of warm weather and numerous short trips with AC working overtime, the battery was not charging properly. I do have the car booked in for next Friday for them to check the fault, but if all goes well, I may cancel the appointment early next week.

What baffled me, was the wording of the amber warning, as I would have expected something like “Battery Voltage Low”.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Jul 6th, 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 20:56   #7
Bernard F

Further to my post #2 I did take the car into my garage and they investigated whilst I waited. Said battery only showed 68% charged and go for a long run as I had been doing a lot of short journeys. Did the long run and no message or problem since.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 22:04   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

In this hot weather turn off the stop start.

These car have so much electronic gizmos they could do with two batteries.

Even my TV remote has 2
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 23:13   #9
Tresco85

They do have 2 batteries, this is taken from the manual, Cars with the Start/Stop function are equipped with two 12 V batteries - one extra powerful starter battery for starting and one support bat- tery that helps during the Start/Stop function's starting sequence.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 05:16   #10
Jcbrown

Not quite the same, but had red "12V Battery Charging Fault. Stop Safely" a few months ago (see here)

Disconnecting battery (in boot) for a bit, reconnect it, and problem vanishes.

Car went in for regular service a week or two later and had a full CANbus s/w update, as there was a TJ on this issue