Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V50 remotes not working

Views : 1421

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 10:23   #1
ThomasAO

Default 2008 V50 remotes not working

I know there has been quite a few remote control issue threads but I thought I would document mine in hope that it helps someone else in the future (thats if I do get it resolved). No indys worth their salt can dig into the problem before Christmas and im trying everything before bringing a tub of Vaseline to the main dealer.

So, timeline of the issue:
* Everything is working fine with my v50 that i have had for over a year and low and behold strangely one of the remote controls stops working, all buttons not just the lock and unlock
* I replace the battery and it its not that, still not working. Thats ok as I have another which is working
* So I get into work one morning last week and lock up the car as normal, go out to my car at lunch and the second remote has stopped working - balls.
* Car still opens with blade and starts with chip key, and central locking button on inside works which makes me think its not any central locking motors etc.
* I have had the remote fob tested with an auto spark who confirms the key is sending out the correct signal so must be an issue with the car receiving the signal
* I hook the car up to vida dice and nothing showing in fault - great
* I have checked all the relevant fuses and all seem to be fine, and I have tried replacing the RRX radio receiver module - again no joy.

Also dont know if relevant but you know the way the drivers door lock pops up/open when you take the key out after stopping the car, this doesn't work anymore either so I'm assuming they are related and hoping this will trigger something in someone's head.

All comments/opinions/suggestions welcome as I am at a loss and I hate getting beaten by cars lol
ThomasAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 16:24   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

what year
what engine
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 17:08   #3
ThomasAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
what year
what engine
2008 - 2.0 Diesel
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 16:23   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

yes thats the one there are a Few threads on that + how to sort it on here
sadly its a know "thing"
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 10:58   #5
ThomasAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
yes thats the one there are a Few threads on that + how to sort it on here
sadly its a know "thing"
Cheers, ive had a read through the threads and nothing helped. hoping i can get a solution and post it here for future ref if anyone experiences the same
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:57   #6
emirhanozsoy

Hi, Sorry to hear that.

I had similiar problem with my 2009 Volvo v50 2.0D. I bought the car recently dealer told me it needs the battery change in the key fob. Of course it was a lie but i wanted to believe. Long story short key fob wasnt working in a way you described. So, my service managed to fix it. What i was told it was that the problem in the ECM module i think some of the fuse were blown due to water contact he says he cleaned it up the ECM and change the fuse and it was working.
emirhanozsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emirhanozsoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 12:34   #7
ThomasAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirhanozsoy View Post
Hi, Sorry to hear that.

I had similiar problem with my 2009 Volvo v50 2.0D. I bought the car recently dealer told me it needs the battery change in the key fob. Of course it was a lie but i wanted to believe. Long story short key fob wasnt working in a way you described. So, my service managed to fix it. What i was told it was that the problem in the ECM module i think some of the fuse were blown due to water contact he says he cleaned it up the ECM and change the fuse and it was working.
Thanks for that update, but did the computer or the on board computer in the car not alert you to any blown fuses?
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 05:20   #8
louksy

Default same issue!

im having exactly the same experience.

2 fobs died. have been using blade.

Volvo service has told me a bunch of conflicting information. telling me the receiver is broken. But then giving me the part number for the key module. And quoting me 1000AUD for part and install.

Seems like BS to me. Feel like this could be fixed with a clean or something
louksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 05:33   #9
louksy

Default cost?

Have you been quoted a cost for repair?
louksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 09:44   #10
pinballdave

Find someone with an RF remote tester (a few of the key-cutting places round here have them), and check that the remotes are transmitting when you press the buttons on them.

If the remotes work, then it's likely to be either the remote receiver module, or the wiring between the module and the CEM (fusebox under the glovebox).

The location of the remote receiver depends on the model and year of your car. Early models are usually on the top of the instrument cluster, and late models are glued to the back of the headlining near the rearview mirror.

The receiver modules are not coded to the car, so can be replaced with a second hand unit (as long as the part numbers match). They're usually quite cheap from breakers, and it's often simpler to just swap them out rather than spend time fault finding.

The wiring connectors on the CEM are known for connection problems due to corrosion or tarnishing of the connector contacts, (more so if your car has a sunroof with blocked drains!). So it is also worth checking the small square connector on the top of the CEM.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fobs, remotes, rrx, unlock, v50