Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting my 264 on the road........ Finally.

Views : 1531

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2020, 01:04   #1
264Driver

Default Getting my 264 on the road........ Finally.

Well it's been a couple of years, but finally got some time to get my 264 up and running.
I've rebuilt the front calipers and given it a general service.
Would like to sort a couple of issues, and would appreciate your suggestions.....

1, I want to lower the suspension 30/40mm no more. And replace the dampers. Recommendations?

2, Needs new HT leads. But it's an unusual layout. Do people get off the shelf or have them made up?

3, Front electric Windows aren't working. Motors good, switches are good. Ideas? Relays? Earth? Could someone point out where there's items are. Can't work it out.

Thanks guys.
264Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 264Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 01:54   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264Driver View Post
2, Needs new HT leads. But it's an unusual layout. Do people get off the shelf or have them made up?

3, Front electric Windows aren't working. Motors good, switches are good. Ideas? Relays? Earth? Could someone point out where there's items are. Can't work it out.

Thanks guys.
2. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...plug+wire,7224

Take your pick!

3. Fuses? Probably still the Continental type fuses, originally ceramic, later plastic with a fusible link from one end to the other with a kind of cup shape on each end of the link. Remove the fuses, use a 1/4" or 6mm twist drill bit between your fingers, rotate it in the fuse holder to clean the contact area, either renew the fuses or use some emery tape to clean the ends.

1. Each to their own but the 264 was never really meant to be a low-rider with stiff suspension. If you really want to lower it though, most stuff for a 244 will do the job happily and is easier to find. Check you don't have Nivos on the back, if you do then you'll need springs and dampers on the back end to match the new, non self-leveling suspension.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 20:26   #3
264Driver

Thanks for reply.
Any ht leads suppliers in the UK?
It's a 76' 264 with regular coil springs all round from my understanding. Are you talking about some sort of air suspension?
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 21:11   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply.
It's a 76' 264 with regular coil springs all round from my understanding. Are you talking about some sort of air suspension?
There might be some HT lead suppliers in the UK but finding them is going to be tricky. Also the cost is likely to be higher for the same thing, even if you do find a UK supplier and that's including the exchange rate fee, Customs fees (if over £15 for the parts) and S&H as the Americans call P&P (Shipping and Handling) so you wouldn't gain anything really.

The springs may appear to be regular coil springs but check the rear dampers. You will know if you have Nivos as they are chunkier with a bellows on one end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Sachs#Nivomat

That gives a basic description towards the bottom of the page, originally Boge Nivomats, they were fitted to many cars including (but not limited to) Rolls-Royce, Rover (SD1 and 800 series), Volvo 7/900 and possibly 200 series.

However i'm a firm believer Nivos don't work, even their original literature said when loaded it would restore the ride height to within 30mm of normal after a short distance (or words very similar) which to my mind is NOT self-leveling.

You mention air suspension, that would be another option, you could set/adjust your ride height as needed then. I have a link bookmarked to a UK company (Air Ride UK i think it was) but the link now goes to a Chinese web domain reseller!

You could do a search for air suspension if that's what might work for you but i drew blanks just now.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 13:01   #5
264Driver

Can someone tell me where the front window relays are? Can't work out the Haynes wiring diagram. Thanks
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 13:27   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Can someone tell me where the front window relays are? Can't work out the Haynes wiring diagram. Thanks
http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ws_Install.pdf

Have a look at that pdf, i don't see any relays but that isn't to say there aren't any. If they exisy i would expect them to be mounted in the doors from the way that is written. However, looking at a slightly later (1980) diagram, it seems there is a relay behind the central panel. Admittedly it's for a 240 but the 260 should be similar :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...g_diagrams.pdf

Page 108 of the pdf shows the electric window lifts and scrolling down further shows component locations. Can't find the right documents for a 1976 car though so you may have to suck it and see.

Should give you some ideas though if you've checked the fuses as described further up.

Old Dec 28th, 2020, 18:06   #7
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply.
Have you tried a Volvo dealer? They supplied them for my 240 and were favourably priced. FRF Volvo in Swansea offer greatly discounted mail-order prices if you mention this forum. If you give them your chassis number they can check whether the parts are available.

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 23:39   #8
DOUGIE68

Leads are easy to get. If in doubt go peugeot or delorean.
The window relay is behind the centre panel and is a common fail point. I use one from a motorhome step.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 01:38   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 View Post
The window relay is behind the centre panel and is a common fail point. I use one from a motorhome step.
Where i guessed it was then? Is it just the standard 4 pin automotive relay? The sort you can pick up for £3-4?

Old Jan 9th, 2021, 23:27   #10
264Driver

Thanks for replies.
Nothing more done to 264.
Too bloody cold. (Carport)

Would like some recommendations on springs and dampers.
Did look at air...... Like the idea but looks like £3k mark.

Quick question.....does the 264 have timing belts or chain? Service schedule?

Thanks chaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to 264Driver For This Useful Post: