Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking / banging sound from front left over bumps, bushes?

Views : 3180

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 13:20   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question Knocking / banging sound from front left over bumps, bushes?

A problem I've had with my C70 for a while is thing banging / knocking sound as you go over bumps from the front left (passenger) side of the car. This goes away gradually as the car is driven then comes back after it's not been used for a day or two. The sound is quite noticeable but was checked over at it's MoT, deemed to be entirely safe (spring and strut are fine) it's just noise.

I'm thinking it's noise caused by the subframe bushes being worn out or the the control arm bushes. The driver's side control arm was replaced about 1 year ago and there's no noise from it.

At first I was thinking of asking the garage to replace all the subframe, passenger side control arm and anti roll bar bushings, but do you think this is all necessary - I'm trying to keep costs down? What do you think the most likely culprit is? Is it maybe worth just replacing the passenger side control arm bushings first?

Cheers.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 13:29   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

The ARB drop links might be the culprit although the MOT should have found that problem. I had an advisory on my last MOT, 1999 V70, for play on one side. They are a rather long rod on mine and may be the same on yours. Cheap replacements not recommended. See sirobb on YT.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 19:04   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Not sure on the coupe but I'm led to believe all C70's have solid aluminum subframe bushings so you can probably rule these out.

Check the steering rack, on the LH side, where it sits on its mounting bracket. I've seen a few of these separate. Not sure how they're bonded at time of manufacture, no evidence of a weld, so may be a friction fit with a metal adhesive. The bracket is mild steel whereas the rack is aluminium.

My C70 failed its test on this very problem so, to remedy this, I removed the two screws for said bracket, leaving the bracket in place, and fitted a U-Bolt over the rack and through the bracket (with some PVC pipe fed over the U section to minimise metal to metal contact). Getting it to sit correctly, without applying to much downward force on the casing of the rack, is a case of adjusting the 2 upper nuts (bracket side) then tighten 2 lock nuts from underneath the subframe. Sounds like a bodge repair but has worked for three consecutive tests and saved an otherwise perfectly good steering rack

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 20:56   #4
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The ARB drop links might be the culprit although the MOT should have found that problem. I had an advisory on my last MOT, 1999 V70, for play on one side. They are a rather long rod on mine and may be the same on yours. Cheap replacements not recommended. See sirobb on YT.
I don't think it's this because I'm pretty sure the droplink got replaced last February when a pothole too out both my passenger side wheel and tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Not sure on the coupe but I'm led to believe all C70's have solid aluminum subframe bushings so you can probably rule these out.

Check the steering rack, on the LH side, where it sits on its mounting bracket. I've seen a few of these separate. Not sure how they're bonded at time of manufacture, no evidence of a weld, so may be a friction fit with a metal adhesive. The bracket is mild steel whereas the rack is aluminium.

My C70 failed its test on this very problem so, to remedy this, I removed the two screws for said bracket, leaving the bracket in place, and fitted a U-Bolt over the rack and through the bracket (with some PVC pipe fed over the U section to minimise metal to metal contact). Getting it to sit correctly, without applying to much downward force on the casing of the rack, is a case of adjusting the 2 upper nuts (bracket side) then tighten 2 lock nuts from underneath the subframe. Sounds like a bodge repair but has worked for three consecutive tests and saved an otherwise perfectly good steering rack
I think I'll jack up the wheel and take a good look at all of this, cheers! If I can identify what's perished should save me some cost, don't want to replace things which seem OK.

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 21:06   #5
sam1

Dont know how similar the C70 is in terms of front suspension to a V70... but my 07 V70 had a similar problem which turned out to be the top spring seat - the bit where the shock absorber went through right at the top was worn and the shock was just wobbling around. pic attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20150907-WA0001.jpg (105.4 KB, 25 views)

Current - '22 XC40 Recharge.
Past - '86 240, '94 940, '07 V70, '91 940, '12 XC70, '06 S80 V8
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 23:05   #6
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

For reference it's only the C70 convertible that has the solid subframe bushings. The coupe has the same rubber ones as the other models.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 23:46   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
Dont know how similar the C70 is in terms of front suspension to a V70... but my 07 V70 had a similar problem which turned out to be the top spring seat - the bit where the shock absorber went through right at the top was worn and the shock was just wobbling around. pic attached
Ah, very well could be. This will be evident with no dismantling? I'm guessing if that is the problem I may as well get new shocks / springs while the garage are at it due to the labour?

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 16:41   #8
StatusRed
Premier Member

Checked the strut mount and it seems fine, tried rocking the car to see if it pops out and it doesn't. It's going into the garage next Thursday for them to investigate (they said the cost of changing subframe bushes will depend on how easily they come out lol).

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 18:53   #9
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi StatusRed

Did you "Check the steering rack, on the LH side, where it sits on its mounting bracket ..." as suggested by Baffler?

If you hit something hard enough to take out droplinks or wheels, it wouldn't surprise me if that broke the steering rack mount.

It is a fairly common problem.

The subframe bushes seem to last quite well so I wouldn't expect them to go unless you have high mileage.

These inserts are really easy to fit, and could be all you need if your subframe bushes are a bit worn
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293042915727

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 00:06   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi StatusRed

Did you "Check the steering rack, on the LH side, where it sits on its mounting bracket ..." as suggested by Baffler?

If you hit something hard enough to take out droplinks or wheels, it wouldn't surprise me if that broke the steering rack mount.

It is a fairly common problem.

The subframe bushes seem to last quite well so I wouldn't expect them to go unless you have high mileage.

These inserts are really easy to fit, and could be all you need if your subframe bushes are a bit worn
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293042915727

Steve
Maybe at the weekend I can find time to jack it up and take a good look. Do you have a photo of exactly what I'm looking for? Cheers.

Tags
bushings, control arm, suspension