Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Like driving a circus clown car this morning!

Views : 1103

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:46   #1
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default Like driving a circus clown car this morning!

I drove to Tesco rather early this morning, for the weekly shop, and when I returned to the car (C70) the 4-way flashers were on. I switched them off, but they came on again several times on the drive home. I had to go out again to collect a prescription, and it happened a few more times. Also, while I was driving in stop/start traffic a “low beam bulb failure” message came on the screen, yet I could see from the reflection in the car in front that both lights were working. Pressing the messages button repeatedly did clear the message though.

I don’t think the final thing is really the car’s systems, but the wireless reversing camera in my aftermarket satnav decided not to come on, even though the LEDs on the camera, and the indicator light on the transmitter were both working.

Any ideas where to start on the 4-way flashers? Intermittent faults are notoriously hard to trace, so I’m tempted to see if it cures itself.....

The car lives outside, and is exposed to the prevailing wind and rain, so I assume the electrics have got a bit damp over the last week or so since the car was last used, as it’s hardly stopped raining!

Oh the joys of motoring....
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 17:24   #2
Markos01

You mean the hazards? I too would wait and see if it reoccurs. But I'd also check the front footwells for wetness, especially the passenger one. If wet it could be sunroof drainage problems or the adhesive on the windscreen is failing: from inside the car push either top corner out whilst looking at them from outside, you shouldn't see any movement at all but if there is movement then water will be getting in and messing with the CEM, which is not good...!
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 18:01   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Many thanks for the response.

Tiniest bit of damp in the passenger footwell, but we’ve been out in it today, so hopefully it’s from Mrs B’s feet!

No movement at all in the windscreen.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 20:47   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

make sure the battery is fully charged low voltage can throw up all kinds of problems on a c70
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:50   #5
Markos01

Good news on the windscreen! Keep an eye on the damp in the passenger footwell, and as suggested low batteries can cause a number of odd faults/alerts on many cars nowadays, so might be worth checking the voltage of the current (no pun intended ) one.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:51   #6
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thanks again. I had the fault read, and cleared - unfortunately they couldn’t recall/tell me what the code was 🙁👎, and it was ok for a while, but happened again a week or so ago. I parked it with the battery disconnected, as I didn’t need to use it.

I’ve now bought some electrical contact cleaner, and will be grovelling around above the passenger footwell, as I assume that’s where the CEM is located. Hope to unplug it and spray clean the contacts, then clear the fault again. Might be wishful thinking, but fingers crossed......
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 14:11   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh +1 on Simmy, you can pop to halfords and get a free check on your battery if that has been on the car a while and also a check on the alternator to make sure its charging correct as I know things like low voltage / battery issue seem to cause all sort of electrical issues.

Then after that, if it has been sat around in the rain, probably check the fuses under the bonnet. When you look towards the engine on the S40 T5 they are on the right hand side. Might be an idea to check it is sealed correctly and if there is any moisture in there. On the S40 it isnt great as the position of this fuse box is awfully placed and I can always see water getting to it from run off down the bonnet into the sills, so always make sure this is dry.

Appart from taking it to a garage to check, maybe pull the fuse for that light issue, check it / clean it and pop it back in.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 18:54   #8
Willber G
Upstanding Member

I too would check the battery first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willber G For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 19:19   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
I drove to Tesco rather early this morning, for the weekly shop, and when I returned to the car (C70) the 4-way flashers were on. I switched them off, but they came on again several times on the drive home. I had to go out again to collect a prescription, and it happened a few more times. Also, while I was driving in stop/start traffic a “low beam bulb failure” message came on the screen, yet I could see from the reflection in the car in front that both lights were working. Pressing the messages button repeatedly did clear the message though.

I don’t think the final thing is really the car’s systems, but the wireless reversing camera in my aftermarket satnav decided not to come on, even though the LEDs on the camera, and the indicator light on the transmitter were both working.

Any ideas where to start on the 4-way flashers? Intermittent faults are notoriously hard to trace, so I’m tempted to see if it cures itself.....

The car lives outside, and is exposed to the prevailing wind and rain, so I assume the electrics have got a bit damp over the last week or so since the car was last used, as it’s hardly stopped raining!

Oh the joys of motoring....
try disconnecting any extras that you have added they might be adding to the possible weak battery drain also make sure that your light switch is in the correct position to turn off all lights its caught out quite a few volvo owners in the past.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 05:36   #10
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Great ideas, thanks.

The battery is only about 3 years old (I know that means nothing as to its condition though), and it starts the 2ltr diesel lump no problem. But from my years-ago Rover 75 days, I appreciate what silly things a less than perfect battery can do, especially if the car isn’t used every day. Must have it checked then.

I hadn’t thought about the under-bonnet fuse box, so I’ll check this as well as the in-cabin one.

I’ve just remembered I have RAC home start cover, I may have a chat to them....

Either way, I’ll report back in due course