Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ATF Change

Views : 12467

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 19:36   #51
jtaw45

How do you do that Roy?
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 00:33   #52
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaw45 View Post
How do you do that Roy?
VIDA says for my model you turn the ignition key to position 2 and click on the VCT 2000 symbol. I'm not sure if it refers to the car or the computer though.

Roy
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:50   #53
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Mine's been 10K miles and 9 months since I've changed the ATF and no errors.

What errors would you expect Roy?

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:01   #54
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Mine's been 10K miles and 9 months since I've changed the ATF and no errors.

What errors would you expect Roy?
To add to my above post. On reflection it must be on the computer when using the VCT to comminicate with the modules

VIDA says "If the counter is not reset when the oil is drained or changed, there is a risk that a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored in faulty circumstances. Therefore it is important that the "Gearbox oil change" counter is reset."

I think that it's also saying that the reset is only important when work is carried out on the gearbox temprature sensor at the same time. That's a bit open to interpretation though.

I wouldn't worry if you didn't do it. It will only be a spurious error message at worst.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Apr 3rd, 2009 at 13:05.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:43   #55
Finbo

I was speaking to my local Volvo dealer (MRG Chippenham) today about a couple of small parts that needed replacing when I got my XC90 recently which the garage I bought it from is paying to be replaced.

Anyway, I got on to the subject of an ATF change and decided to ask for a quote....expecting the worse.

But they came back with a price of just over £150 incl of VAT for a full flush based upon the Volvo VIDA method. That's with a healthy discount as a regular customer. Even so, I think that's a bit of a bargain for a main dealer to do it.

So, the car's booked in for Monday for the ATF change and the other small parts, etc.

If you live within a reasonable drive of MRG, I think they are definately worth bearing in mind for parts, service and repair work. I can only speak as I find and I've always found them very helpful (Simon in service and Gary in parts, amongst others). They offer forum members a discount as well.

Cheers,

Finbo
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 13:43   #56
jtaw45

Ok, after much deliberation and head scratching i tackled the job.I followed the gibbons method to the letter. I used 5 litres of fully synthetic carlube fluid suitable for jws3309 spec which i put through the system first. I then had 10 litres of amsoil atf which i put through,i just kept flushing it through till i ran out of amsoil. The trickiest bit was getting the levels right to finish the job off.I actually had to top up with half a litre of the carlube stuff to get it right. It's too early to comment on driveability but judging by the colour and smell of the old fluid it was well past it's best at 80k miles, It really was black. I wasn't having any problems with the box before hand but do a lot of towing and am a big believer in preventative maintenance. I'm towing this weekend so will recheck the level after driving 60 miles with a ton and a half of caravan on the back but i'm confident it's about spot on. Thanks for any advice and help offered in this thread. I will finish off by saying if you haven't changed your fluid and you've done more than 50k do it soon.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 14:04   #57
Finbo

Just to add to my post above, I had the ATF changed at my local Volvo dealer yesterday.

In the end, they managed to drain 6.5 litres (instead of the anticipated 6 litres) via Volvo's official VIDA method, so I had to pay a little more for an extra litre of ATF, but have the remainder if I need to top up, etc

I must say both yesterday and on the drive in to work today, I could notice an immediate difference. The gearbox is definately smoother, especially 1st and 2nd gears, and quieter overall.

So, I'm pleased with the difference and glad I went ahead with the work. It's one less thing to worry about (hopefully)!!

My mileage is now 53k, so I'll probably look to change it again at the 108k service.

Cheers,

Finbo
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 20:42   #58
carmaster98

Talking comma oils

hi guys, talking of oils, i was talking to the comma rep the other day you might be surprised but its owned by mobil, regards
carmaster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:03   #59
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Exclamation ATF change and flush

Hi Thanks for all this eyeopening info and the very informative posts.
I think I would actually prefer not to have all the choices!
Pick one from two is my preference.
At 73,000 miles and MOT due I'm looking to get this done at my local independent (Amber Garage, Southwick).
We did 2,500 miles alpine towing this summer, via Gothard Pass Tunnel 17 KM (not good if you are claustrophobic) on to Lake Garda in Italy.
Caught Legionnaires' Disease somewhere on the trip and spent 8 days in Ospidale with antibiotic drips, oxygen and everything. Unfit to drive home so my wife, who had done the Caravan Club towing and manoeuvering course and a tow from Hayling Island to Brighton, managed the 1000 mile return trip over 4 days.
What a hero!
Well! with the XC90 AWD and auto box, cruise, sat nav, it couldn't get much easier. Unless we have the collision avoidance retro fitted and just go to sleep.
Will post about MPG and engine braking on the appropriate threads.
TLA's ( three letter acronyms) make for some head scratching!
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:15   #60
PROBE22

Planning on tackling full flush of XC90 5 speed geatronic, can source 10 litres of GM 93160393 for £70 which appears good value compared with Volvo 1161540.

Can anyone confirm that GM oil is the same as volvo?

Has anyone ran the GM oil? Any problems?

Thanks

Paul
PROBE22 is offline   Reply With Quote