Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Look what I bought!

Views : 15313

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 04:50   #41
s.hammond
VOC Member

my galaxy had pirelli p6000 reinforced tyres if that helps?
s.hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s.hammond For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:35   #42
minesa240x3
loyalty

OK well I have spent all morning hunting down tyres and the best so far are the Yokohama C drive 195/65 R15 95H/XL total price fitted £244.Or I could have the Mitchelin energy 195/65 R15 95H reinf £220.

I also found Avon ZV3 95H XL £257 from a mobile tyre fitting company,
As I know the company with the yoko's I think I will go there next weekend.

I have researched the yoko and as a budget tyre they seem ok,I don't intend racing in it and the amount of miles covered will be very few as I also have the other two cars to choose from.I only do around five thousand a year anyway.but at least these are reinforced not like the ones fitted.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 13:40   #43
Mike1967
Premier Member

Out of the tyres you mentioned Brian , personally I would opt for Michellin .... but then its up to you lol .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 07:20   #44
Jim760
Mr G

just a note.. you are watching the load index for these tyres right? these cars weigh 2020kg, your might be heavier with the red block in it.. i got some toyo tyres put on mine and when i checked the ones they fitted, the load index was very close to max.. i don't think that's a great idea to be honest. just make sure they can take at least 100kg more than the cars corner weight
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:43   #45
Peter 62
Master Member

Hahahaha.....well done. I wanted that car!!

Had it on watch list and wanted to pay the sort of price that you did.

Really an estate man as well, but had same thoughts as you re. kids and dog. Plus would have been cool for the kids to be dropped off in that!!
Peter 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter 62 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 12:52   #46
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks Jim I will indeed look to see the load index is high!I'm not sure what it should be but the car actually weighs 2250Kg,The vin plate states,

permitted gross vehicle weight=2250Kg,
Max axle load,front=1100Kg,
Max axle load,rear =1200Kg,

The standard tyres on it which are wrong are marked 615Kg max load.Can I assume that by halving the axle weight it will give me the figure which I should aim to be at least 100kg above??
None of the many companys I looked at had that stated on thier tyres even the very informative ones.The tyres I'm looking at are basically for vans or people carriers.And will have one of the following marks on the sidewall,,
XL=extra load,
RNF=reinforced,
C=commercial.

Thanks for giving me that advice though very much appreciated.I just reread your first post about the depressing blue??not sure what you are looking at as the doorcards are grey and so are the seats and the dash is black on the top?

Thanks Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Nov 21st, 2010 at 13:13.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 13:18   #47
minesa240x3
loyalty

The GREY bits Lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0104res.jpg (260.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0106res.jpg (288.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0107res.jpg (328.0 KB, 25 views)
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 18:31   #48
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

Great looking car, always wanted one of these.
940 Sports Edition, Graphite galaxy's, turbo plus kit, roof bars, dog guard, load cover, load tray, seven seats.
940SportsEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 18:36   #49
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Thanks Jim I will indeed look to see the load index is high!I'm not sure what it should be but the car actually weighs 2250Kg,The vin plate states,

permitted gross vehicle weight=2250Kg,
Max axle load,front=1100Kg,
Max axle load,rear =1200Kg,

The standard tyres on it which are wrong are marked 615Kg max load.Can I assume that by halving the axle weight it will give me the figure which I should aim to be at least 100kg above??
None of the many companys I looked at had that stated on thier tyres even the very informative ones.The tyres I'm looking at are basically for vans or people carriers.And will have one of the following marks on the sidewall,,
XL=extra load,
RNF=reinforced,
C=commercial.

Thanks Brian.
The sidewall on the commercial will be far too stiff. The extra loads or reinforced are needed as there is quite a bit of scrub on full lock which needs stiffer siddewalls as well as the loading issue.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 18:45   #50
minesa240x3
loyalty

Ok anyone following this post will have read that somewhere I have a leak and the carpets are really wet throughout,I intend stripping the whole of the carpets out but only after she has passed the mot.Well theres a lot of seats to remove and associated trim. well I have been poking around with the carpeting and the wettest bit is in the drivers footwell!I managed to suck up quite a lot with the wetvac.My question for you nice folks is"If the matrix was leaking which side would get wet first?" And would it be more likely to be the matrix itself or the tap?
The liquid doesn't really smell but is very slimey between the fingers a little like the feel of oil.feels like brake fluid but as thats full and no visible wettness by the master cylinder then I am sure I can discount that.
Is it as bad a job as the 240 or much simpler?

I'm itching to go through this car but I am hoping next weekend to get the nice new tyres done and also the exhaust,Then check out the brakes,They seem fine but taking no chances with all the extra people and weight I will be carrying.You can tell I'm serious as I have only ever bought one new tyre in all my driving years not bad for twenty eight years of accident free uneventful driving.

I took it shopping yesterday and it was amazing with no issues at all.I even ended up taking someone home in it,And to think I only ever chat to the guy when shopping in a certain shop.He was amazed at how quite and smooth it was.And no I didn't open the door for him.We even managed to fit ALL the shopping in the boot despite my dear wife saying it wouldn't.I did however take up one and a half parking spaces and well away from the busy part,I still had a car pull up iether side of me though,Are volvos magnetic because no matter how far I park away they still seem to park next to me GGrr.Also been tootling around local and still get lots of people staring ha ha.
Still haven't polished it yet but did give it a damp rub down and it looked so much better.
Regards Brian.