Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Look what I bought!

Views : 15312

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 09:51   #61
Mike1967
Premier Member

I knew it .... I just knew it , Brian you mentioned CHROME !!
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:33   #62
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well I got back to our yard tonight to see the Limo had moved!I now have a nice new center silencer box(the round one)Looks like hes done a really thorough job new U clamps even further forward and it's been brazed?I think the part where the box joins the EXTRA LONG center pipe was bodged last time.So hes managed to do a proper job by tidying it up.

Hi stiggy you know me so well!I am open to serious suggestions on the extras I was thinking tonight about making some plates with my coat of arms on them!(not that I have one)Why? well it had something on the center doors as it has four marks about six inches square on each door a bit like corners of a box.I think it was to line up some sort of plaque.I tried to take pictures but they are very faint and I just got reflections of the sky Lol.

The grill is a definate and will probably be as the one in the previous post piccie on my 240,Until I find some diagonal woven mesh and no I'm not buying the chav stuff from halfords.It's thick stainless on my 240 very industrial and a pain to cut and almost impossible to drill.The grill has a broken diagonal anyway and I have a decent spare as well.Not sure if I should put the diagonal on so will be putting it to the vote later with piccies.
I'm going to ask the fella who did the exhaust if he can repaint the rear bumper as it's flakey.probably painted to hide defects as the front one is plain old plastic.

Regards Brian.

photo 1=poor attempt to show marks on the door,I have outlined the two top marks in red.

photo 2=bonnet showing nasty looking sticky plastic covering two holes where something was bolted on.

photo 3=close up of the messy bodge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center door marks res.jpg (149.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0100res.jpg (128.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0099res.jpg (70.9 KB, 16 views)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:27   #63
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

For wheel arch chrome I recommend some like the ones on this black 760...

Alternatively, look at the bright metal on this 740 (click on link and scroll down).
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37046

OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlueVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 20:24   #64
minesa240x3
loyalty

Another little update!I spoke to the fella who did my exhaust and as I thought it wasn't straight forward at all,the very long pipe that joins onto the center silencer was only connected by an inch and wouldn't have lasted much longer.So he had to unclamp the long pipe and braze a short piece onto it and then he had to flare it to make it fit the silencer.he then noticed that one half of the piece that comes over the axle was the wrong size for the silencer?so he had to flare that out as well.

All this makes it sound like he ordered the wrong silencer but no we both looked it up in his parts catologue and nearly all the silencers were the same mainly 2.0L estate or saloon auto or manual sixteen valve ieght valve etc.mine is the B230FB and only one was listed for that so whoever fitted the exhaust before used the 2.0L one and bodged it to the long pipe.

The silencer cost £52.98 which I thought was reasonable and his labour costs were just silly!he only charged me £32.00 total labour time 0.8hrs.a total cost with vat was £99.85.

I think I'm very lucky to have him working on my doorstep.plus he had to move three cars to get to his heavy duty ramp only one of which was startable they had to push the other two.he has a shortage of space so one car on the ramp one underneath and the third behind it.

I asked him if there were any nasties underneath and he said NO it was very good and should pass no trouble,well apart from the brake lite bulb which even after cleaning still sometimes doesn't come on.

Just the handbrake to sort now and hopefully get booked in for next saturday for the mot.only hope there is enough adjustment.if it's to stretched I could be in bother as it might be (1) a one off long cable or (2) an added piece attached to the standard cable? anyone know?.Jim any idea?
Regards Brian.

I'm hoping to have a look tomorrow and hopefully sort it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 20:30   #65
Mike1967
Premier Member

Here you go Brian .... my old 760 Turbo with my chrome lol .

Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 21:18   #66
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

This is a great thread Brian. Really enjoying it.

I bought an exhaust, mid & rear sections for my 240 (B200E 2.0ltr) 5 years back. Got a real bargain.................but when coming to fit, it was exactly the same diameter as the 'long' pipe coming from the front. So I had to 'flare' mine to fit. It was a real bodge! I cut with a hack saw into the new piece, then heated it untill I could 'splay' it open to push it over the 'front pipe'.

Once done, a mate welded it in place. Good job? Well it's been there 5 years & passed two of our MOTS (2 yearly). Only gripe is my bodge made the rear end an 1" or so short & this makes the rear silencer a smidge 'out of kilter'. Really had to force it onto the hangers, and it tends to clonk on the floor pan if I don't adjust it on a regular basis. Mind you £70 delivered & 5 years (so far) makes that small inconvinience acceptable, lol.

@Stiggy, you've sold soooooo many cool cars mate!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 21:30   #67
Mike1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
@Stiggy, you've sold soooooo many cool cars mate!
I know Paul .... still have picttures and memories of them all buddy . Unfortunatly as nice as that 760 turbo looked , it had a very nasty oil leak and was dreadfull on mpg ..... but it did have nearly 300,000 miles on it .

Getting back to Brian's limo ...... as I mentioned before I really do like it , I really do hope he can sort out the water leak problem as in all honesty I truely believe it's a stunning car !!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 22:16   #68
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well little update tomorrow is MOT day!
I posted about my tickover issue and now it's running lovely after fitting another idle control switch.

Only issue at the moment is the offside brake light I've cleaned the contacts and the bulb and even bent the contacts up a bit,It all seems well then out of the blue it stops working.I am getting good at removing and replacing the plastic trim cover which initially looked to me like it was off of another car Lol.They were both loose in the boot when I got it so somebody else must have had an issue but couldn.t work out how they went back on.

So is this common on the 940 saloons and is there an easy fix?Just hope it keeps working on the day.

I'm off outside now(22.00)as when I went to pick up my wife from work I heard a hissing noise?Looks like the exhaust I had fitted has a small leak on the joint,I also noticed a very small weep where the cat bolts onto the long straight pipe,The three bolt ring pivoting type of fitting,If I can get the bolts off then I will just have to use some exhaust putty on the sealing ring for now.The shops are closed Lol.Failing that I shall encase the whole damn thing in exhaust putty ha ha.The exhaust that is! not the car.

And one other annoying thing I put the key in the drivers door as you do to unlock it and it won't turn in any direction.I tried the other two keys but no joy there.I have to open the nearside door and lean across the seat hit my head on the rearview mirror and pull the inside handle.Tried it several times since but no luck.
Anyone had this happen??It doesn't look like it's been tampered with and the key slides fully in,,,It just won't B#**%Y turn,,GRrrr.

Catch you all later Brian.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 23:06   #69
minesa240x3
loyalty

DAMN!! and blast.I got two of the three undone quite easily but the third nut snapped off the stud!
I kind of guessed it might but as it was leaking I had no chopice but to try.It would have failed 100%.

So my next urgent question is are the studs captive in the backing ring?They haven't got a nut shape so I'm guessing they are fixed.Looks like the hammer and possibly the drill will be busy tomorrow.
Good thing I booked the mot for twelve o clock.

Any help very much appreciated.
Regards Brian.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 09:01   #70
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Ooh, I bet your're out there now fixing that

We've gottem all crossed for you
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: