Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26344

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:20   #71
gillypop

I checked to see if the PCV in the valve / cam / rocker cover is working. On tickover it is pretty pathetic flow but not sure what to expect. So it is working but not sure if it is correct.

I will post pictures of what I did later.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:37   #72
gillypop

Photos showing what I did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191018_131051-1008x567.jpg (211.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_084352-1008x567.jpg (185.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_084358-1008x567.jpg (163.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_084916-1008x567.jpg (82.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_085002-1008x567.jpg (118.0 KB, 164 views)
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 23:28   #73
MKvolvo

I have the same issue.
So far Tottenham Sentinel replaced rocker cover gasget £800, and still i have smell inside the cabin

So i thought i should look into it myself. I found oil underneath vacuum pump, cabin filter completely clogged in oil. I am going to replace the seal myself for vacuum pump, is your one fixed?

Last edited by MKvolvo; Jan 10th, 2021 at 23:34.
MKvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 10:52   #74
Cstlco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
Update - replacing the rocker cover gasket has NOT fixed the problem.
I am now £100's out of pocket and the car still has the same fault as I first reported back in July.

It's booked back in again next week.

This problem is intermittent. Just wondering could it be something leaking when the regen cycle kicks in? It doesn't do it the majority of the time, then you get a horrible smell, and smoke/fumes from under the bonnet.

It was quite embarrassing this weekend as I turned up to a posh Italian restaurant in the Oxfordshire countryside to celebrate my in-laws 60th wedding, only to have the car wafting fumes and smoke out in front of everyone, with them all asking if the car is OK.

I'm getting to the point where I am considering dropping Volvo. I realise intermittent faults are difficult to find, but I can't afford to keep throwing money at it, and not have it fixed.
Good morning
I have same issue with the smoke of oil burn when the regeneration of DPF starting. The oil leak everywhere around the rocker gasket and dripping on top of gear box from where going exhaust. I did change once the rocker gasket but the garage told me i will have to change the rocker cover itself as considered it it curved from high temperature.
DTylor.How you problem with the smoke has been sorted?
Cstlco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 11:47   #75
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstlco View Post
Good morning
I have same issue with the smoke of oil burn when the regeneration of DPF starting. The oil leak everywhere around the rocker gasket and dripping on top of gear box from where going exhaust. I did change once the rocker gasket but the garage told me i will have to change the rocker cover itself as considered it it curved from high temperature.
DTylor.How you problem with the smoke has been sorted?
With all these cam cover rubber seals leaking and the problem not being cured , has anyone checked the root cause, was there a problem with the rubber seal ?? Have they checked for crankcase pressure ? maybe a blockage or fault with the crankcase vent box ..... ? common sense really ...
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 11:58   #76
Cstlco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
With all these cam cover rubber seals leaking and the problem not being cured , has anyone checked the root cause, was there a problem with the rubber seal ?? Have they checked for crankcase pressure ? maybe a blockage or fault with the crankcase vent box ..... ? common sense really ...
I study now about PCV which can cause pressure in the cover and the rubber in is not made strong enough to hold a high pressure.
Then i will read about where it is and how can affect the crankcase box. Thank you Clan . Appreciate your post.
I will let you know after changing the rocker together with the rubber seal as this one new changed has been compromised .
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 12:39   #77
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I study now about PCV which can cause pressure in the cover and the rubber in is not made strong enough to hold a high pressure.
Then i will read about where it is and how can affect the crankcase box. Thank you Clan . Appreciate your post.
I will let you know after changing the rocker together with the rubber seal as this one new changed has been compromised .
if you take the breather pipe off the air intake pipe , can you blow down it freely into the cam cover area ?
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 19:31   #78
Cstlco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
if you take the breather pipe off the air intake pipe , can you blow down it freely into the cam cover area ?
I didn’t try yet. I will do in the morning. Thank you for the idea
What i have find actually it is the breather inlet form the air pipe snapped off and just holding in few bits. I did glued off the inlet back and put back the breather pipe .
Do you think this was a possible issue? As the turbo don’t suck the gases from the cam cover, there is building up pressure and came off the seals mixed with oil.
I will have a test tomorrow of 100 miles and, if ok then, the leak i find every morning on the gearbox coming from top cover shouldn’t be anymore.
By the way before to find the snapped outlet ,when i opening the oil cap a lot of oil spreading out and a clear pressure come off . Now after glued looking to be normal with no Gases or oil spill.
Do you think this make any sense, Clan?
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 22:00   #79
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I didn’t try yet. I will do in the morning. Thank you for the idea
What i have find actually it is the breather inlet form the air pipe snapped off and just holding in few bits. I did glued off the inlet back and put back the breather pipe .
Do you think this was a possible issue? As the turbo don’t suck the gases from the cam cover, there is building up pressure and came off the seals mixed with oil.
I will have a test tomorrow of 100 miles and, if ok then, the leak i find every morning on the gearbox coming from top cover shouldn’t be anymore.
By the way before to find the snapped outlet ,when i opening the oil cap a lot of oil spreading out and a clear pressure come off . Now after glued looking to be normal with no Gases or oil spill.
Do you think this make any sense, Clan?
If the crnakcase vent pipe was broken off the air inlet pipe , the crank case would be venting to atmosphere so no pressure should build up inside anyway ... see what happens ...
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 23:02   #80
louis1978uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
About 6 weeks ago I noticed an intermittent smell inside the car, when the engine was hot and i was stuck in traffic. Volvo dealers found nothing. Then on Saturday whilst stopped at the services whilst going on holiday the smell was back and worse than before. I pulled the bonnet to see smoke coming up from the right hand side rear of the engine.

I set destination for nearest dealers who had a very quick look and said the rocker cover gasket was leaking. My car goes back in on Thursday to be looked at

The smell is an oily one, a bit like when a breather hose comes off. It also doesn't do it all the time. I've been using the car on holiday all week and it has been fine up until yesterday when it did it again. There are NO fault codes, Volvo have checked and the car runs very well, 5 adults up eating up these Cornish country lanes and hills with ease.

So has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone know what could be causing it? I'm happy to go with the leaking rocker cover gasket but why so intermittent, and why is there no obvious leak ie the drive is oil free, no drips. Also the fumes seem to come from quite a way down so its difficult to see what is leaking (from below and possibly to the right of the emap pipe)

I've think I've eliminated the air con system. Looks like pipes go to the left hand side of the engine, plus I've left it off all week.

Any thoughts?
dont forget manifold and turbo are at the back is ur turbo weeping a tiny bit once the oil is hot and oil is its thinest? could be burning on turbo housing or exhaust manifold as there are no oil pipes on the rear double check u dont have a core plug leaking aswell.
louis1978uk is offline   Reply With Quote