Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 40625

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 20:11   #121
Georgey dee
Premier Member

You can still have fun in an auto if you learn how to use it. I thought I would enjoy a manual but on todays roads I was crying out for a swap back to an auto.

My Car History= 440 Manual
850 Auto
S70 Manual and a 200sx Manual
850 Auto

I'm spotting a pattern. I think all this proves is that I can't make my mind up. LOL.

Although I have always kept the autos longer than the manuals by double.

George
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 22:32   #122
motas-88

The only auto i would consider getting would be a semi-auto, especially the one's you get in the mitsibushi's, ie the v6 galant or the mazda 6. Other than that I feel much more in control with a manual car.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 22:43   #123
tingy
VOC Member

depends on the car big torquey engine (diesel) gotta be an auto smaller engines manual, petrol cars need to be driven so gotta be manual
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:06   #124
Weezy

I miss the spirited country road driving that you can have with a manual but for an easier life on todays congested roads it has be an auto. I,ve still gotta get over this thing about the car behind thinking "old tit driving a Volvo" when my brake lights keep going on though
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 17:24   #125
sonic-1

well havin had manuals in the past my last4 cars have all been autos , my first one bein an old 3.0 senator , i used to drive it like a manual shiftin it only into drive on runs dam it was fun , then got a newer 3.0 senator n thrashed that mercilessly never broke the box , then got a damler xj40 3.6 by far the smoothest auto then got a mitsi shogun 3.0 v6 auto rough old change on that but very good off road thought an auto would be crap but it was far easyer than my mates manual !!!!! gave same mpg to
now iv got a v70 t5 auto n its vey nice to drive n make progerss in, think the auto with the turbo motor is a very good combo
if i realy want to go quick i just dig the bike out
sonic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:00   #126
dodgyken
Master Member

This thread keeps throwing back the same comments. If you want to "drive" a car - you need either a manual or a automated manual (Ferrari) - AND RWD.

If you want to drive a car FWD, diesel, automatic - is pretty much all you will ever need.

The V70 D5 Auto (Phase 3) - will go round corners at speed - but it is not enjoyable nor is it particularly elegant. And that is with me taking control of the gearbox and shifting up and down.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:25   #127
snowdog

Default maouto?

mmm? Have an xc70 auto at the moment, nice to drive, but the adaptive system is a bit tempremental as my wife tends to be heavier on the gas and it takes a bit of time to adjust. Had a v70 manual before and found the gears a bit far apart. However i do tow and it has to manual for that, box is much more robust. So i am undecided, think geartronic as it gives you both options. Sitting on the fence i am!
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 17:03   #128
Laney760
VOC Member

I think it depends on the car. With my previous Nissan front wheel drive with 3 speed auto box (and overdrive over which you had no control), I don't think I could have thrown it around bends in any weather any faster than I did even if it had a manual but in my 940 Volvo estate rear wheel drive on bends (in the wet) I'm much happier with the manual, I didn't drive my 740 auto estate so hard as I do my 940 manual estate. There are advantages to both. After nearly 10 years with an auto gearbox I thought I would miss it but I don't in any way - except for the lovely roaring sound/power at kickdown, lol....

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:42   #129
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

i must say, before i got my s70 i always wanted auto, and i have to say i am happy with my choice, the turf burner (daily runaround) is manual and i dont mind as i have the luxury at the weekend, but i think i do prefer the autos, probably cause i suffer LBS lol

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:17   #130
keithyboy
Master Member

For me it depends entirely on the car. My Mum used to have an automatic Corsa 1.2 and it was horrific. I think the 'box had 4 speeds but never seemed to be in the right one. We have a later Corsa auto as a courtesy car once and that was worse. It had the option to manual shift but it took it so long to do it that it dropped out of the power band and you needed to shift down again.

I once drove a 4.2 Jag and it seems hard to envisage that with anything other than an auto box. Similarly, my Dad used to have a Toyota Corolla 1.6 Executive. Tat was an old fashioned 3-speed but it was a lovely thing to drive. Not fast but very relaxed. I've driven a couple of 850 autos too and they were much the same.

There have been a good few times (on the M6, M25, M60, Blackpool Illuminations, Knoswley Safari Park) where I would have traded 50bhp for an auto.

My blog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK AT MY RUBBISH BLOG
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote