Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting back on the road

Views : 645

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 19:36   #1
James_N
VOC Member

Default Getting back on the road

Hi All,

my car has been off the road for some 9 months now with a few problems but since cleaning throttle body is now running fine.

Ive managed to get mates rates on some front brakes and tyres so having that done next week before its MOTed and hopefully passes.

I have noticed an oil leak under the car however. Its always had a slight leak from the bottom rad hose that goes into the block (suspect rocker cover gasket?), however, i have noticed the underside of the car is rather coated now after being parked for so long. I suspect this is the sump gasket but wanted
conformation from the knowledgeable people here.

I have attached the pictures from underneath the car. Is this an MOT fail? I was planning to jetwash it off before MOT and then investigate if (when!) it passes hopefully.

If it is the sump gasket, how easy is this to change?

I'm happy the car is running soundly now after cleaning throttle body and new dizzy cap / rotor arm.

Many thanks
James
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 19:45   #2
James_N
VOC Member

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180710_184056_640x360.jpg (186.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180710_184108_640x360_640x360.jpg (199.3 KB, 26 views)
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 20:07   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

If it’s coming down past the water pump it may be the front camshaft seal. These often fail. Have a close look at the rubber gasket between the top of the water pump and the block. If this is covered in oil then what I’ve suggested is quite likely. Eventually the oil will rot out this gasket too.

If it’s not that, then there are also front seals on the intermediate shaft and crank shaft but I’ve never had a problem with those.

The root cause for oil leaks is often a blocked oil breather. In my experience always the small vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the plastic y-piece.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 20:17   #4
James_N
VOC Member

Is this the pcv system? I've read about this over the past few days. I don't have much of an idea about renewing it but after my success at cleaning throttle body and idle valve. I'd like to give it a go assuming it passes its mot of course and there is nothing else untoward
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 00:00   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Is this the pcv system? I've read about this over the past few days. I don't have much of an idea about renewing it but after my success at cleaning throttle body and idle valve. I'd like to give it a go assuming it passes its mot of course and there is nothing else untoward
That oil leak doesn't look excessive to me James so i don't see it should fail the MoT on that. As Forrest says, i'd be inclined to look at the PCV system and clean it out as described in loads of places on the forum but if you need reminding, i'm sure that can be arranged!

Also consider renewing the rocker cover gasket if you can see oil just below the rocker cover.

Definitely worth checking the camshaft front oil seal as suggested as well, if oil gets on the timing belt then it could cause teeth to strip, the belt to rot or even for the belt to jump - all have the same, very grim end result!

I'm glad you're getting it sorted anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 13:51   #6
James_N
VOC Member

I'm close to getting the car MOTed and back on the road now.

I'd like to get the hoses in the engine bay sorted as most are looking a bit past their best now. I noticed when i cleaned the throttle body that the hoses that come from the throttle body are cracked and when i pulled the hoses from the throttle body, the ends snapped, but i had enough hose left to put them back.

I'd like to kit it out with silicone hoses for as much as i can and i was wondering if there was a list of hose widths somewhere and lengths so i can order the appropriate lengths and widths and just do it bit by bit. i think one of the throttle body hoses is 6.6mm? would love to kit it all out in blue silicone hoses!

Thanks
James
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 14:00   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Which hoses from the throttle body James? Not the ones that go to the idle control valve by any chance?

As for silicone hoses :

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/

If they don't do it, it probably doesn't exist! I think they often look for cars to use as templates to create new ranges of complete kits, you may be lucky if you can get the car or even the hoses to them, they may do the full set for you at a very good price.

That said i might be thinking of another manufacturer but have a look anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 15:28   #8
James_N
VOC Member

Thanks Dave i'll have to take a photo of the hoses in question.

Id love to kit the car out in do88 hoses but as it will never be a show winner, i want to do it cheaper but still add some colour to the engine bay and just generally make it a bit tidier, more reliable with nice new hoses, and cheer the old girl up a bit!

ASH hoses look good but i dont see that they do car kits but as you say, if i sent mine in, would they make some up?

Thanks
James
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 16:18   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...f794c773010d16

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 16:19   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Can't find the manufacturer James, did find those on PFV, they also have a section for cars with A/C, you could probably find most, if not all, the hoses you need?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: