Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841299

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 19:20   #441
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, the rolling restoration s another possibility Dave.

I think with this car the devil will be in the detail: there is clearly rust at the front of the nearside sill and wing, which has been bodged with a lump of filler previously. In my experience, once rust starts appearing on the outside the inside will have mostly dissolved. If a rolling restorer pulls out that lump of filler I suspect there will be no choice but to fit new sills (and probably inner wheel arches). At that point it probably stops being a rolling restoration and requires a bit of quite serious TLC (or ends its days at the banger derby on a Thursday eve).

:-(
Is it the front of the N/S wing/sill or the back of the O/S sill/wheelarch Alan?

Either way, there's likely to be a lot more work when it's pulled out and if it is the rear end, a lot of work on the inner and outer sills, floorpan, trailing arm mounting point etc.

Someone will be burning the midnight MIG wire that's for sure!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 14:14   #442
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is it the front of the N/S wing/sill or the back of the O/S sill/wheelarch Alan?

Either way, there's likely to be a lot more work when it's pulled out and if it is the rear end, a lot of work on the inner and outer sills, floorpan, trailing arm mounting point etc.

Someone will be burning the midnight MIG wire that's for sure!
From comparing it with the RB I'd say that photo is the driver's side rear wheel arch/sill. the owner also admits the nearside wing/sill has been filled, which means both sides are rotten. I'm just a little surprised the MoT tester was happy to pass that without even an advisory comment only last September - but I'd be really surprised it that sticking plaster lasts another test.

It looks like the car will have some more oily bits to fix before September:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated both (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
Nearside Front Steering linkage ball joint has slight play tie rod (2.1.3 (b) (i))

This one looks like it may be a bit of a sad (but common) story. Someone bought an oldish banger intending to do it up, found out it was quite a bit worse than at first appeared, didn't have the skills or resolution to complete the work and is now trying to unload it to recoup some costs.

We'll see, I suspect it won't find someone else willing to take it on until the seller drops the price under a grand (and then the banger derby chap might have a go - which would be a pity).

Last edited by Othen; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 14:15. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 14:37   #443
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
From comparing it with the RB I'd say that photo is the driver's side rear wheel arch/sill. the owner also admits the nearside wing/sill has been filled, which means both sides are rotten. I'm just a little surprised the MoT tester was happy to pass that without even an advisory comment only last September - but I'd be really surprised it that sticking plaster lasts another test.

Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Steering linkage ball joint has slight play tie rod (2.1.3 (b) (i))

This one looks like it may be a bit of a sad (but common) story. Someone bought an oldish banger intending to do it up, found out it was quite a bit worse than at first appeared, didn't have the skills or resolution to complete the work and is now trying to unload it to recoup some costs.

We'll see, I suspect it won't find someone else willing to take it on until the seller drops the price under a grand (and then the banger derby chap might have a go - which would be a pity).

Most of those advisories are easily remedied though Alan which is why i can't understand why he's done nothing about them. I'm with you on the "bought an old banger to restore and found he was out of his depth" idea, he now realises his time of "Patchitt and Bodgett" repairs is up and he needs something he can cope with. I can't see the bit where he says the N/S sill is filled, just the wing and that a new wing comes with the car - is it the correct colour or faded red like the baboon style tailgate?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 15:23   #444
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
. I can't see the bit where he says the N/S sill is filled, just the wing and that a new wing comes with the car - is it the correct colour or faded red like the baboon style tailgate?
... you are right Dave, it is the wing, not the sill that has been filled. Still, the car us as rough as a badger's arse - it sounds like the chap/lady just wants to offload it, so probably any offer would do near the end of the auction :-)
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 16:31   #445
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... you are right Dave, it is the wing, not the sill that has been filled. Still, the car us as rough as a badger's arse - it sounds like the chap/lady just wants to offload it, so probably any offer would do near the end of the auction :-)
Going off completely at a tangent, i've seen a few badgers recently during walkies, they don't appear to have particularly rough arses so i wonder where the expression came from?

That aside, it is a seriously rought 245 and definitely not worth what is being asked!

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 17:34   #446
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Going off completely at a tangent, i've seen a few badgers recently during walkies, they don't appear to have particularly rough arses so i wonder where the expression came from?
I have no idea where that came from Dave. As far as I know badgers are quite clean animals (apart from often carrying tuberculosis that is).
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 18:38   #447
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have no idea where that came from Dave. As far as I know badgers are quite clean animals (apart from often carrying tuberculosis that is).
That's more or less what i thought Alan, perhaps Dachsunds went for their rear end and that caused the roughness?

Time for research methinks or perhaps just email Susie Dent - that would be funny on the mid-afternoon edition of Countdown explaining the origins of the phrase!

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 20:32   #448
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

... still no bids at the end of another auction for our rusty old friend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49292

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2021 at 20:34. Reason: Spelling
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 20:39   #449
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... still no bids at the end of another auction for our rusty old friend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49292
I just had a bombardment of emails from ebay that it was ending and i should bid on it!

Maybe the seller will change it 99p start, no reserve and get some bids that way.

Old Mar 29th, 2021, 04:53   #450
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I just had a bombardment of emails from ebay that it was ending and i should bid on it!

Maybe the seller will change it 99p start, no reserve and get some bids that way.
I can’t help thinking the seller isn’t taking this seriously. He/she must have realised the car is grossly overpriced by the end of its third auction with no bids.