Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 63455

Replies : 1275

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 16:27   #1271
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvolvo View Post

For me [LIST][*]I hate it that I don't have the option to stop by a petrol station and fill it up with enough diesel to last me over 500 miles. [*]I also hate it that there are hundreds of different companies, cards, types of chargers. [*]Potential issues with faulty chargers when you most need to charge your car eg down to 2% battery! mg_smile
Now those are very valid gripes….

From what I can see the paying yo charge your EV is over complicated with app’s etc etc instead of just pulling up, plug in, pay by debit card

Charger reliability will always be an issue but if there was a bigger network so you had more choice in a local area it wouldn’t be a problem.

Once again a result of too much, too quick without thought to the infrastructure including petrol which could have a bank of chargers. There’s still much work to be done before this becomes user friendly

TT
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 17:58   #1272
Moose Test
Master Member

Par for the course with technology unfortunately, there's often an initial explosion of competing, incompatible standards in a nascent market. Look at phone/smartphone chargers/carkits, early home computers, the first commercial electricity distribution networks and the early railway companies for a start.

It's a shame we continue to repeat those mistakes but it will get there in a few years. Manufactures will soon enough realise that significant market growth depends on consumer acceptance, and likely governments will get involved at some stage too, as with Apple and the EU recently.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 18:31   #1273
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
The place that he has been truly innovative and disruptive is SpaceX, but that's because he had the good sense to fund it and then leave the rest to the experts.

He's no innovator but does have an uncanny ability to get people to invest 10s of billions in his oddball schemes. Who in their right mind would have stumped up the cash to buy Twitter?
When I said disruptive - I meant in the markets of which his companies operate. And in Space activity, I suppose Space X has done that - but don't think it's because he's done something amazing and innovative, he's borrowed heavily from NASA's space program including the Shuttle and some more.

Same with Tesla really, not a totally new thing.

But that's not a slant on him - taking a good idea and making a commercial success of it is a great skill.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 18:57   #1274
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
When I said disruptive - I meant in the markets of which his companies operate. And in Space activity, I suppose Space X has done that - but don't think it's because he's done something amazing and innovative, he's borrowed heavily from NASA's space program including the Shuttle and some more.

But that's not a slant on him - taking a good idea and making a commercial success of it is a great skill.
He also made EV ownership look cool and exciting by adding useful functions like Gull Wing Doors, a function to keep doggy cool while being locked in the car at a supermarket, autopilot, etc. I like the Tesla but maaan it’s expensive so not completely available to the general public who’re on “normal wages”. I’d have one if I had the facilities to charge one at home.

TT
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 19:29   #1275
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of the satellite launching market than the work they are doing with/for nasa.

The return and reuse of main stages is innovative, nobody else thought of it as important but it's turned a gentleman's club of companies charging hundreds of millions into a much wider field charging a fraction.

Early entrants like Tesla rarely survive in the long run but the well runs ones often make a lot of cash out of technology licences before they get taken over, I haven't read much on Tesla though to know how prolific they've been with patents.

I think the two companies say a lot about Musk, I'm just not sure what though! one is heavily invested but largely left to run itself to much success and the other swings back and forth in fortune through constant fiddling with the product line and social media meddling.
Old Yesterday, 13:23   #1276
Moose Test
Master Member

I saw an interesting piece in USA Today this lunchtime.

Tesla apparently have yet to publish official sales figures for its Cybertruck however, since it has been the subject of an official recall notice, affected numbers have to be reported to the US Gov. Which in this case constitutes all units they've shipped so far.

That number is just shy of 4000 in total, since late November 2023. By comparison, Ford shipped 7.7k of its electric F-150 Lightning pickups in the 3 months of Q1 2024, whilst Rivian shipped 13.5k units in that same period. Ford had orders for more but also hit a QA issue, which in their case led to a shipment pause in that period rather than a recall.

I think the accolade for innovation and/or disruption in this particular market thus really has to go to Rivian right now, especially as a new entrant to vehicle manufacturing. It will be interesting to see what the likes of Ford and GM do about it.

Last edited by Moose Test; Yesterday at 13:32.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post: