Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Valve clearance/noisy tappets

Views : 2003

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:19   #1
tonydgray

Default Valve clearance/noisy tappets

Hi all

The engine on my 1973 145 was a little noisy so I thought I would take a look at the tappets and check that they have the correct clearance. The clearance range that I used was 0.016" to 0.018" although I have set them on the snug side being 0.016". However I have a couple of questions following this work:

1. Prior to adjustment I noticed that all bar one of the tappets were set lower than the 0.016" minimum, probably around the 0.014" region. Can anyone think of a reason for this and if it would have done any damage? Please read on to question 2 as this may be the reason!

2. With the clearances up at 0.016" now the engine sounds like a bag of spanners, is this normal or have I got a big repair bill on the horizon? :-(

3. How is it possible to set the clearances when the engine is warm or cold, wouldn't the temperature make a difference to the gap?

Thanks

Tony
tonydgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 16:48   #2
ALLOA
Master Member

Hi Tony, I've set up tappets with feeler gauges etc... and found the same as you. I guess that this could be due to 40 yrs wear! I tend to run the engine with the rocker off and then touch each rocker with the tip of my finger. You will feel what needs to be tightened. I know it doesn't sound very scientific but it does work.

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 19:30   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Tony

Which engine does your car have?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 20:20   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Noise is normal. Be worried when they get quieter. If you find that the clearances get smaller it indicates that you are starting to get valve recession due to no lead. Now that you have them adjusted to a know clearance you can tell next time you check if that's got any worse. Maybe check after 3-5k miles.
"Yes, they all sound like that Sir".
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 22:28   #5
asneddon
Master Member

Also note that the head of the rocker can get worn. This turns them concave, so your feeler guage picks up the gap from the edge of the rocker to the top of the valve stem.

You can file them flat again, or get a click-adjust type tool to set them.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:23   #6
tonydgray

Hi Capt Jack

The engine is a B20A

Cheers

Tony
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:38   #7
tonydgray

Thanks guys, a lot of information there to be going on with and some very interesting points.
I will take a look at the wear situation and see if there is any issue there.
I love the "Yes, they all sound like that Sir", made me chuckle. Half the battle is getting used to a new and the noises that it should and shouldn't make so thanks for that.
ALLOA - I was wondering how can I tell the it needs to be tightened by touching the rocker while the engine is running?

Lastly - does everyone run with lead replacement in their fuel or just run standard unleaded?

Thanks again

Tony
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 13:06   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Tony

I had an 1800ES with the B20E engine, and yes it was quite 'tappety', and yes, in my ignorance I tried to tighten things up, only to find that the gaps were already spot on.

As a general observation, I found with my car that there were values according to the book - notably tappets, timing, points gap / dwell etc, and then there was what made the car run nicely.

True to say that the one didn't generally match the other. I put it down to the joys of an old car, set things up where they 'felt right', and made regular checks.

I think it's what they used to call 'tinkering' in the days before lap-tops and fuel maps!

cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:31   #9
tonydgray

Default Purchased click adjust tool

Hi everyone. Just an update on the tappet front. In the end I opted for the click adjust tool to set the tappets. My tappets were extremely noisy when set with a feeler gauge. Now after setting them with the click adjust the engine still sounds like a tappety engine but a lot quieter and happier than it was before. The click adjust gets a thumbs up from me but shop around as prices seem to vary wildly!
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:55   #10
marcmarel

Interesting tool. Might give less difference between valves, but it still relies on a flat feel gauge. This might cause to much play in an engine with worn rocker arms (a slight hollow has been worn out), as asnedon mentioned.

The idea is to grind the tip of the feeler gauge to the width of the valve stem, so it slides in the hollow and measures actual valve play.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote