Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Paint opinion

Views : 1779

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2010, 09:14   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Paint opinion

Well folks, the 144 is ready to go into the paint shop whenever they can fit me in. I want to keep the original colour for authenticity however I think it's a bit dull and bland. (beige) I was thinking of having the roof painted a warm white to make it two tone and a bit more interesting, what's your opinion A. on two tone and B. on the white choice?
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 09:41   #2
Snowman
never knowingly slow

If you look at the http://www.amazoncars.co.uk site you'll see that they adopted the white roof scheme on their Cape Town Rally 144, it might give you an idea of what it would look like.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 18:01   #3
john h
VOC Member

Tough call.

I see what you mean. The beige body with the light interior does looks a bit anaemic and monochrome. Actually, I'm not sure a white roof would help much - really it needs some colour and/or contrast.

I suggest that you get it painted the original colour all over, so you can see how it looks all mint and shiny. It is not a big job to go back and paint the roof later, if you choose to.

If this was my car, I would consider fitting wine red carpets and parcel shelf to liven up the interior a little, and a thin subtle waistline stripe on the body in the same colour.

Perhaps the expert photoshoppers on here can help out!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 20:19   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks, good sugestion. I plan to fit new carpets but I'm not sure if I can get them in any other than black. Shouldn't be difficult to make up. I also think that leather would help but that's for the future when I get more cash!
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 20:37   #5
john h
VOC Member

Early 164s had beautiful carpets, high quality proper carpet with piped and stiched edges etc.

If you can get a set, even worn out, they could be unstitched and used as patterns to have a new luxury carpet made up in any colour you want.

The only different area I think is the gearlever... all 164s had the remote gearchange and short lever.

And yes, wine red 164 leather would transform it, if you're OK about going non-original.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=97783&page=3

John

Last edited by john h; Nov 7th, 2010 at 20:41.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 20:53   #6
arcturus
arcturus

I suppose it's how you define original. Is it EXACTLY as at left the factory or is it as it left with a few VOLVO later option conversions. For example converting a 4 speed box to overdrive?
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 21:11   #7
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I suppose it's how you define original. Is it EXACTLY as at left the factory or is it as it left with a few VOLVO later option conversions. For example converting a 4 speed box to overdrive?
Well yes, I'm very much in favour of modifying cars as you'll see from my thread! I think it add s to the fun by giving far more scope for the owner's imagination and innovation - and it can end up with a better car, by avoiding some of the inevitable cost-based limitations and compromises that the original manufacturer had to accept.

But you said that you wanted to keep the same colour for originality. If being totally original is not a priority, and you're not keen on the beige... then another option is to choose another colour!

John

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 09:08   #8
arcturus
arcturus

OK, how about if I choose another volvo colour of the same period? As a matter of interest the original registration describes the colour as "amarelo" yellow, (what do they know) Would it be too far a departure to have it painted that colour? There's a nice illustration of one in the "Volvo cars engines" book. Then again the interior wouldn't match! Just an accademic question!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:05   #9
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
OK, how about if I choose another volvo colour of the same period? As a matter of interest the original registration describes the colour as "amarelo" yellow, (what do they know) Would it be too far a departure to have it painted that colour? There's a nice illustration of one in the "Volvo cars engines" book. Then again the interior wouldn't match! Just an accademic question!
It is a serious amount of work to colour change a car properly. Not only do you have to paint the door shuts but the boot interior and under the bonnet. I wouldn't go down that route lightly!
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:44   #10
arcturus
arcturus

As the car has been completly stripped out I don't think it would pose too much of a problem. I am seriously considdering the colour change as I will be looking at this as a fun car as well as show. Not sure I can live with beige.75% for change. Saw this in Volvo "cars engines" book. I Think it could match the mood, what do y'all think? only don't know the paint code!