Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Air suspension

Views : 4327

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2018, 11:09   #21
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
After three years of trying fix it - it is just the way volvo air suspension is. It is a lot fussier about tyre pressure and tyre choice. I found 2.4 bar is the best pressure for me on contis. 2.6 I would really tell the difference. I spent 30quid on a quality pressure gauge that is 1% accurate. You would be shocked the variance you would get out of the garden variety ones.

What I find makes noise is the rebound - when suspension recoils from the impact. So over speed bump it will not be hitting the speed bump that will make a noise but the rebound when you drive over it.
On speed bumps I find it best to brake just before contact and lift up. The sets the front of the car down and you take the speed bump just as the suspension is recoilin and that negates a hard bounce. Worked in my 65 Evoque.

Taught that when I had a couple of years driving in the bush in Africa where you come across many different bumps at quite high speed. Saved a couple of drive shafts at least!
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 11:42   #22
Deman77
Master Member

Yes always. I didn’t think about it that way but that’s how I drove through bumps and potholes.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 11:50   #23
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I assume that "acoustic" means that Michelin aso applies silencing technology?
Yes, they have the acoustic foam inside, similar to the Contis.

:wq
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 12:58   #24
Bernard F

Quote:
Yes always. I didn’t think about it that way but that’s how I drove through bumps and potholes.
Yes always. Suspect most drivers do without thinking about it, makes sense.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 20:29   #25
mike95

Whilst my car was in for service today I was given a XC60 on 18 wheels and standard spring suspension. I only did around 10 miles in it on urban roads but IMHO it rode well but not as good as mine on air suspension and 20 inch wheels. My car rides the road imperfections much better and just has a more controlled feel.

Given the choice again I would still go air suspension 100%.

Mike
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 22:33   #26
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
Whilst my car was in for service today I was given a XC60 on 18 wheels and standard spring suspension. I only did around 10 miles in it on urban roads but IMHO it rode well but not as good as mine on air suspension and 20 inch wheels. My car rides the road imperfections much better and just has a more controlled feel.

Mike
That's good to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 08:23   #27
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:

Mike
It’s highly likely you had tyre pressure too high in the standard car. Standard suspension rides better over bad roads like for like wheel and 18 over 20 would give it further advantage. I have driven 3 standard xc90s and one xc60 for good 10 weeks over the last three years. There is no doubt in my mind - I would still spec air for other reason but bad road surface or potholes - there is no contest. This is not just my opinion - I’ve seen journos comment on this in reviews though it’s often accepted as an expected issue. Air only wins for comfort when it comes to overall stability, pitch and roll, but definitely not bad road airfares or potholes.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 09:10   #28
S90
IT Guru

I'm not convinced more tyre profile makes a huge difference. My car came with 18's and Michelin tyres, I bought a set of 20's from someone who didn't want them, they came as standard on their vehicle and they are shod with Pirelli. The 20's are actually quieter and ride better. Not sure how much of that is down to the tyre, but it definitely goes against what most people think.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 14:40   #29
mike95

Quote:
It’s highly likely you had tyre pressure too high in the standard car. Standard suspension rides better over bad roads like for like wheel and 18 over 20 would give it further advantage. I have driven 3 standard xc90s and one xc60 for good 10 weeks over the last three years. There is no doubt in my mind - I would still spec air for other reason but bad road surface or potholes - there is no contest. This is not just my opinion - I’ve seen journos comment on this in reviews though it’s often accepted as an expected issue. Air only wins for comfort when it comes to overall stability, pitch and roll, but definitely not bad road airfares or potholes.
Perhaps your experience is more relative to the XC90. I am comparing two XC60's and I can only report what I found.

I may have it again next week when my car goes in for a little job so I will get a longer test and I will take my pressure gauge.

Mike
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 09:55   #30
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Perhaps your experience is more relative to the XC90. I am comparing two XC60's and I can only report what I found.

I may have it again next week when my car goes in for a little job so I will get a longer test and I will take my pressure gauge.

Mike
Is xc60 air on both ends like xc90 or just rear like v90. The front is the worst bit so if you are on standard on the front then you don’t really have the problem with xc60 and that could explain why it is no worse.