Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 XC70 2.5T no oil pressure

Views : 238

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2024, 21:15   #1
Jas16

Default 2005 XC70 2.5T no oil pressure

Hi All,

I did purchase this car knowing it had this problem, no oil pressure light coming on from start at idle. So I don't know the complete history, but below is my best guess.

They stated that they had changed the oil and oil pressure sensor.

I brought the car thinking that if I clean the pickup screen will be ok, so was a somewhat calculated decision.

car has 172k but I suspect the oil changes were extended. However, the previous owner had changed the cam cover and oil pan, but used black RTV, so some pieces had got stuck in the pick up. I saw this once I had removed the pan myself. So I cleaned the pan and oil pickup screen and used anaerobic gasket. Also changed the oil pan gaskets.

With the cam cover, I took it off and cleaned the RTV and used anaerobic gasket too. In both cases i used thick, assembly lube on the cams and on the big end bearings to help with the initial startup. Also changed for new oil filter.

So, after the suspense, added 0w-30 oil and started the car, dreaded light still on. Damn, so I removed the oil filter and not full of oil, not even a hit of transfer. So I suspect the oil pump is now gone! The engine sounded great, no knocking, so I strongly believe that I can save the car.

No issue, I don't mind changing it, but very few videos to help, so was looking for some guidance. When removing the crankshaft sprocket, is there only one way it can be slotted back in?

Is it worth changing the oil pump seal at the same time?

Do I need a sturdy puller to remove the crankshaft sprocket?

Anything to be careful of?

Sorry for the many questions, I just wanted to be comfortable before attempting this
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 21:42   #2
Onewheel

Crankshaft sprocket fits only in one position..
Oilpumps never break down, think it’s clogged with rtv….
Taking it out to inspect it is simple.
Strongly advise to use new gasket, o-ring and seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4832.jpg (97.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4836.jpg (127.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4833.jpg (145.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4837.jpg (145.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4831.jpg (130.8 KB, 17 views)
Onewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 00:03   #3
Jas16

Thank you for the quick reply. So would it be ok to just order the parts from your pic? I agree, happy to purchase new kit

So the pump itself would still be ok and not requiring a new one to be ordered?
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 22:21   #4
Jas16

or I watched a youtube video which suggested that the oil pump could be split in half, but to be aware of a retaining spring