Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you buy an everyday car that will increase in value ?

Views : 5509

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 15:56   #91
biggbn
I've Been Banned

CAR reader since late seventies, it was a wonderful magazine with many fine writers, but setright was in a class of his own. A proper English eccentric.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 17:07   #92
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Autotraders full of everyday bentleys at rock bottom money ...You just can't give them away these days
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 18:44   #93
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You can’t give bentleys away because they are rubbish. I work on them every day and it is shocking just how badly they are made. Poor build quality (rust badly, engines leak like a sieve, electrical faults).

They are stupidly expensive to run, I drove a continental GT like a granny and got 18mpg.

We had a crashed mulliner thing in and it wouldn’t run due to a sensor in the wing. Bentley price nearly £1000 we looked up the part number, it was the same as in a Ford Fiesta, bought it for £25 from them and it ran.

I find them boring to drive, they have no spark and the Continental GT’s are so loud on start up it is horrible. The V8 ones sound glorious but the W12 sounds so boring.

Arnage’s rust like there is no tomorrow, same for the azure’s.

Basically you couldn’t pay me to own a RR/Bentley.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 19:02   #94
Dtmorgan

The only car I’ve owned which I know is worth more now than when I sold it is a Honda S2000. I sold mine 3 years ago for £8500 and they’re now going for for £11000+, depending on mileage. Thanks to the 240 bhp RWD, wet handling was always interesting and it means the S2000 gets rarer every winter. Lots of owners used them as daily drives.
Dtmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dtmorgan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 13:49   #95
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You can’t give bentleys away because they are rubbish. I work on them every day and it is shocking just how badly they are made. Poor build quality (rust badly, engines leak like a sieve, electrical faults).

They are stupidly expensive to run, I drove a continental GT like a granny and got 18mpg.

We had a crashed mulliner thing in and it wouldn’t run due to a sensor in the wing. Bentley price nearly £1000 we looked up the part number, it was the same as in a Ford Fiesta, bought it for £25 from them and it ran.

I find them boring to drive, they have no spark and the Continental GT’s are so loud on start up it is horrible. The V8 ones sound glorious but the W12 sounds so boring.

Arnage’s rust like there is no tomorrow, same for the azure’s.

Basically you couldn’t pay me to own a RR/Bentley.
My former boss (complete arse) took me out in his 2006 Continental GTC W12 and gunned it a few times. It sounded - I kid you not - exactly like my 3-cylinder Corsa does on the revs with its stainless steel exhaust.

Now I'll concede, my Corsa does not have 552BHP. But it does get 50 to the gallon, and costs a damn sight less to buy and repair. As for comfort... well, I deliberately own a Corsa so clearly I don't care very much about comfort. Build quality's probably on par though
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 22:24   #96
biggbn
I've Been Banned

They always look hewn from granite the big Bentley coupes. A friend of mine has a brand new one in a beautiful bright metallic blue. I have not seen it in the metal yet but any time I have been up close and personal with one they have impressed me!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 23:40   #97
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

The newer Bentleys really aren't my cup of tea. Too vulgar and bulbous.

I like the statesmanlike boxy look of the older Bentleys and Rollers, even if they are hell to keep on the road.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 08:49   #98
The Landshark

I reckon the VW Corrados have to be worth a look. Especially the VR6 models.
I'm quite happy with the Mini Pickup Mk1 i paid €300 for a few years ago. Needed a bit of welding but they're making stupid money now.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:51   #99
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Renault avantime?
A friend of mine who's a big Renault fan (he worked at a Renault dealership for many years) has an Avantime. Gotta say, I was very impressed when I saw it. To my eye, it looks far better in the metal than it ever does in photos. And sitting behind the wheel, I loved the commanding view and the feeling of being in the Captain's command chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Will track it down. You are right, Citroen had great ambitions for xm but they did not come to fruition. I loved mine. Worth tracking down a column Russel bulgin wrote for car magazine outlining why it failed here. He was a really good writer, though just short of Bishop, Llewellyn and cropley, and well short of the inestimable ljks, but then who wasn't?!
LJKS, I recall, was a big advocate of automatic transmission. As a recent convert myself, I find I agree with him!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 15:09   #100
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Smart roadster? I have owned four smart 450 for two, including a brabus, roadster still an itch that needs scratched. Maybe soon.