Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential 244 purchase.

Views : 645

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 23:41   #1
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Default Potential 244 purchase.

Ok, now I know specs, thanks to those who answered, looking for answers to some potential problems. Had hoped to view car today but circumstances conspired against us, but did chat on phone..

Problem one...heater fan has stopped working...reading forum, this seems common and a complete pain in ar$e to fix....correct?

Problem two...owner says car runs a bit weird sometimes, and strangely runs better cold than hot. Now, browsing forum suggests the 86 2.3 glee will have a solex carb that may have problems, and be a pain in the ar$e to fix....

I'm looking for a car to sit, outside, Monday to Friday and be used for odd trips and car shows on occasional weekends, always fancied a 244, and this is semi local and looks good. It's the one in the classifieds. Owner has been totally honest about potential problems, car has no mot, butl no advisories last time around , covered about 1500 miles once last mot.

I am hoping for a car that is easy to fix, perhaps work on, cheap to run and put on classic insurance, I know fuel will be greedy as it's auto. So, would the faults I have listed, particularly carb potentially put you off taking on a rolling project? I don't want to throw a shedload of cash at what ever I buy, can probably live without heater blower, but would want the car to run and drive smoothly or there is no point. It's a £1000 Ono but we have to discuss this with regards existing faults.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 00:03   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The heater fan is a half day to a day job to change, once you get into it its ok but the idea of teh job is not nice.

Carb you will most likely be on teh 3 screw, ok carb but not as good as the older Stromberg and I would be tempted to replace with one of those or an SU HIF44. You might find simply fitting a new diaphram, needle and jet will resolve teh problem.

Rust is going to be your biggest worry with that age 240.

With no photos its hard to value but I would say price wise £500 if there are some corrosion issues and upto £1500 if the body is 100% but no bubbles or blisters but needing mechanical stuff seeing to as already mentioned.

Allow some budget to attend to a good service and possible brake replacement
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 06:16   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Only corrosion issues I can find on mot has been advisory seven years ago, offside front and nearside front floorpan corroded but not within prescribed area. Car has had one owner last thirty years or so prior to present keeper, appears to have been garaged forever, only covered 4000 miles in last 10 years. Potentially a good un, but as stated, not particularly desirable body style, transmission, spec or engine!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 09:14   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Being Auto does reduce the value quite a bit, the location is also a big negative as most will not travel to look at one especially with only a description and no photos. I would say you have room to negotiate the price
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:37   #5
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I have pics but yes, price to be negotiated!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 20:44   #6
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
If you need any help with classic insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. We should be able to help.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 08:06   #7
heckflosse
Premier Member

converting to manual is no big deal and would transform it. The carbs are pesky and bits are drying up for the Pierburg DVG/Stromberg , but some internet digging is worth it. the downdraught carb is a nice paperweight, but webers can fit on that manifold- I doubt the car you are considering has the 230kh pulsair engine so you are in luck.
Basically,a nice shell is the main consideration. everything else is nuts and bolts.Oh, beware sunroofs.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 11:09   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Basically,a nice shell is the main consideration. everything else is nuts and bolts.Oh, beware rain holes.
Quote fixed for you
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 11:54   #9
heckflosse
Premier Member

My 480 days put me off holes in the roof for life!
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:36   #10
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I suspect this one may not be the one for me, I do still intend viewing it although i suspect we will be miles apart on what constitutes a reasonable offer!!