Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pipes to the oil filter housing

Views : 516

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:08   #1
Skyedriver
Master Member

Default Pipes to the oil filter housing

Carrying out yet another oil/filter change today and looked at the two "rubber" pipes that clip onto the oil filter housing.
They are looking a little tired and I think it's time they were changed. One looks easy enough,the other would be easier to do without the filter in place so guess it'll have to wait for the next change but, when I disconnect them what'll empty out? Just the oil filter or a whole lot more?
Assume these aren't under pressure at all?
Thanks
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 21:27   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Those rubber hoses are coolant pipes
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 23:16   #3
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

One of my Volvos died from a rupture in the short S-shaped pipe under there.
I think it was a poor design,
but replacing them with good new ones is a great idea.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 23:42   #4
aardvarkash10
Master Member

While you have them off thoroughly check the steel pipe that sits above them. At the age of these cars and with just a little poor maintenance the wall thickness of the waterpump bypass pipe can get VERY thin...
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 10:51   #5
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

I'll second that.

When you take off the hoses the drain valve will need cleaning out, but that's easy. Coolant pipes are a different matter, and if previous owners used rad sealants or hard water then all sorts of crud will reduce the diameter of the pipes - rubber and metal - and an unamusing search will have to be made to ensure the system is clear.

I started out with an HG job and ended up stripping the entire turbo coolant system, the water pump & heater pipes and anything else nearby. Those little rubber pipes were completely blocked and so was much of the pipework - oil and water, and the metal filter box down there took up several days of poking and soaking in various chemicals, shaking and washing before it was clear. Never worked out why the turbo didn't pack up. Water pump was the only part that didn't need much cleaning.

Good tool to poke and scrape: strip off half an inch of plastic sleeve from a length of net-curtain wire, unwind the end coil to give a pigtail, and rotate up a pipe.

Ash's comment is spot-on: the red spur pipe (from the little rubber water hose and up to the block) may rust near the bottom end where the hose overlaps the pipe. Mine had rusted through; I cleaned the hole (wire brush/file inside & out) and sealed it with J&B weld.

Could be a can of worms, but one best opened.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 11:00   #6
Skyedriver
Master Member

Thanks everyone, hadn't realised they were carrying water, assumed (never assume I was once told) they were an oil drain or something.
Look forward to replacing that lot in the near future. Sounds like I need to allocate more than half an hour to it!
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 18:58   #7
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

This is, like, a cool quote ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbeaumont View Post
Could be a can of worms, but one best opened.
While we're on the subject I swapped in a whole 1991 engine after mine died of that damned hose down under and I was pleasantly surprised that my new (old) engine has a much better coolant pipe and oil pipe arrangement.