Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rusty cars

Views : 3887

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 21:35   #41
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

I would direct Canis to the project thread on my Volvo 240 for a cowboy job... from a Volvo approved bodyshop who were also my employers... and who charged £1500 for the pleasure.

Either way having worked for a while with a mechanic who's got about 20 years experience, I've come across cars which seem to rust more than others.

Vauxhall are very hit and miss. According to said mechanic, Vectras are terrible, whereas 2000 onwards Corsas are very good compared to other cars similar age.

But then there's Ford, Mazda, Mercedes, old Suzukis and to be frank, a lot of other Japanese cars. They certainly rust more than others.

A few stragglers I've noticed over time are the Mk 4 Golf (sills) and the Peugeot 307, which has double-layered sills that rust from the inside out, so by the time you can see it, it's much worse than you think!
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 21:15   #42
Whyman
Premier Member

I had a 2001 Merc E 320 CDi saloon once. I washed it in 2009 and just caught sight of some of the rust swirls under the paint surface on the boot.

I then looked closer at the rest of the car and they were all over so it had to be sold. Prefect spec for me at the time, great towcar, and I was very sad to see it go but it would have turned into a rust bucket without a full respray.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 21:47   #43
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I had a 2001 Merc E 320 CDi saloon once. I washed it in 2009 and just caught sight of some of the rust swirls under the paint surface on the boot.

I then looked closer at the rest of the car and they were all over so it had to be sold. Prefect spec for me at the time, great towcar, and I was very sad to see it go but it would have turned into a rust bucket without a full respray.
Mercs of that age rust, but I know several owners who had full and complete respray thru Mercedes anti corrosion warranty due to full dealer history. It was the rust you COULDN'T see, as ever, that was the problem on that era of merc, or any car come to that
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 21:48   #44
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post

I had a 2003 E320CDI about 8 years ago (the shape after yours) & the bonnet, doors & boot were made from aluminium, the rest galvanised steel, so I guess they made good on the previous model's poor reputation for rust. That 3.2 litre straight-six turbodiesel coupled to one of the best auto gearboxes in the world was an absolute peach though

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 21:15   #45
rustytoba
Master Member

Default Guilty pleasures

Well in all honesty I get no end of enjoyment seeing supposedly superior vehicles rusting into the tarmac as though they where still using the Ukrainian steel Lada duped Fiat with in 60's for the licence to copy the 124 resulting in most 60's to 80's Fiats, Lancia et al rusting like fun oh and Zanussi white goods, I digress:-)

Over the past decade I've seen shed loads of less than ten year old cars with bubbly arches and shot (usually patched) sills, not just a Ford Focus or T type Jaguar in fact most of them where German not the usual A Class colander either but Audi's and VW, only last week I saw an A6 on 59 plate with all it arches rusted through, I havent seen that since my upstairs neighbors Montego Countryman.

As for Mercedes they did have a really poor period for bodywork my worst sighting being when I was at school (1998) my head teacher had a P plate C220 with peppered front wings, yup a C class still a year from its first MOT an he lorded it around as if a rusty two year old Mercedes was something to aspire to.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 20:09   #46
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
I had a 2003 E320CDI about 8 years ago (the shape after yours) & the bonnet, doors & boot were made from aluminium, the rest galvanised steel, so I guess they made good on the previous model's poor reputation for rust. That 3.2 litre straight-six turbodiesel coupled to one of the best auto gearboxes in the world was an absolute peach though
Apparently the problem was when MB moved to water based paints, there was a part of the painting cycle where the shell was rinsed before painting. Over a period of time bacteria levels in the fluid they were using to rinse the shell built up which created the corrosion problems later on. When the fluid was renewed there was no problem which is why some cars were affected and some were not.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 12:00   #47
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Apparently the problem was when MB moved to water based paints, there was a part of the painting cycle where the shell was rinsed before painting. Over a period of time bacteria levels in the fluid they were using to rinse the shell built up which created the corrosion problems later on. When the fluid was renewed there was no problem which is why some cars were affected and some were not.
Automotive paint plants have been using treated water for years to rinse paint. I remember quoting for a new plant a Ryton to replace the original one. Also Longbridge and Ford (Southampton). I must be a bit of a Jonah as the projects never went ahead. Most paint plants now use a process called reverse osmosis which removes not only bacteria from rinse water, but just about everything else except H2O. Had been in most current UK car plants in my earlier years, as far as I know they are all now using RO water in the rinses.