Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement Windscreen Autoglass Delays

Views : 4078

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 08:55   #1
neon
Premier Member

Default Replacement Windscreen Autoglass Delays

Driving down motorway around 70, heard a small ding, and saw a 12mm star like crack on windscreen just under radar unit.
Autoglass came out and said could not repair as just inside drivers windscreen wiper sweep.
Now having to wait 2 weeks as Autoglass are busy and windscreen has to come from Volvo.
Not at all impressed with the service tbh so far, so I will be watching they do a good job and re-calibrate the radar and camera systems properly as well.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:36   #2
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Driving down motorway around 70, heard a small ding, and saw a 12mm star like crack on windscreen just under radar unit.
Autoglass came out and said could not repair as just inside drivers windscreen wiper sweep.
Now having to wait 2 weeks as Autoglass are busy and windscreen has to come from Volvo.
Not at all impressed with the service tbh so far, so I will be watching they do a good job and re-calibrate the radar and camera systems properly as well.
Are they suggesting they will repair this on your drive or suggest you will have to take it to a regional centre so they can calibrate the cameras? Although most fitting centres have closed it appears they realise they need dead level floors/sufficient space to calibrate increasingly ‘windscreen dependent’ and complex camera systems and these require undercover facilities. We have one in Norwich, not used it yet and hope there is not the need although strikes me the crumbling UK roads are producing increasing tarmac debris which is being thrown up by the (also increasing) amount of traffic on our roads which seems to want to travel at ever increasing speed, with less space making the situation worse. Drove form Norwich to Cambs and back yesterday with debris flying everywhere - I can see a chip out of paint on my plastic lower spoiler for my efforts so touch-up pen will be in use by end of today.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 23:35   #3
adambsmith

Same delay for my XC60 windscreen replacement.

Autoglass said they couldn’t yet calibrate the cameras so I took it to my dealer who did it for £60. Admiral, my insurer, reimbursed me for that.

At least you get a proper Volvo screen with Volvo markings and not a copy.

I thought Autoglass were fine. It’s not their fault that the screens are in short supply.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:00   #4
neon
Premier Member

They are doing it on my drive and apparently a second person is needed who will do the calibration by taking it out for 30 mins or so.
The delay as far as I can tell is not the windscreen availability but because Autoglass are busy.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:58   #5
adambsmith

Quote:
They are doing it on my drive and apparently a second person is needed who will do the calibration by taking it out for 30 mins or so.
The delay as far as I can tell is not the windscreen availability but because Autoglass are busy.
Ah, I see. I was just going on your original post which said they were also waiting for Volvo to supply the screen. I equated your wait with mine which was purely down to the wait for the screen from Volvo.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 22:22   #6
neon
Premier Member

Autoglass came yesterday, could not fit due to weather so now best they can do is in another 2 weeks, making it a month since I contacted them.

I did not realise but he said that there is no radar, only camera in the top part of the windscreen, the radar is behind the front grill.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 22:33   #7
ehp

Quote:
Autoglass came yesterday, could not fit due to weather so now best they can do is in another 2 weeks, making it a month since I contacted them.

I did not realise but he said that there is no radar, only camera in the top part of the windscreen, the radar is behind the front grill.
Neon,

That used to be the case on older models, but the radar is very much in the windscreen for your 2017 XC90. To quote Volvo: "The radar sensor is located at the upper, center section of the windshield along with the camera."

Ed
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 00:31   #8
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehp View Post
Neon,

That used to be the case on older models, but the radar is very much in the windscreen for your 2017 XC90. To quote Volvo: "The radar sensor is located at the upper, center section of the windshield along with the camera."

Ed
That concerns me then as he was supposed to be one of their specially trained team for these cars.
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 10:41   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

As ehp says, the radar and camera for Intellisafe are both housed in the windscreen pod. Only the front 360 camera is housed in the grill.

Having to wait 4 weeks for a screen is a poor show whatever the reasons. What if the crack had been larger and the car couldn't be (legally) driven?
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 13:09   #10
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
As ehp says, the radar and camera for Intellisafe are both housed in the windscreen pod. Only the front 360 camera is housed in the grill.

Having to wait 4 weeks for a screen is a poor show whatever the reasons. What if the crack had been larger and the car couldn't be (legally) driven?
Thanks, yes that is what I thought originally and quoted that to the Autoglass Technician, but he went to great lengths to say it was not the case and pointed to some black box on the far right of the front grill. I am pushing their customer service to improve on the timing and will mention it to them as well.
Apparently they are still recovering from the bad weather and are losing staff. Good job we do not have winter every year!

Last edited by neon; Apr 29th, 2018 at 13:14.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote