Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where's the trailer socket gone?

Views : 488

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 17:49   #1
DT19
Master Member

Default Where's the trailer socket gone?

When I put a towbar on my old S60 (04) I bought a wiring loom from Volvo and it all plugged in perfectly. So now I need to do the same with my new S60 (2013) so I gave Volvo some more money and got the correct loom.

This afternoon I went to connect the wires only to find there's nothing in the car to connect the green block to. There are wires in there but none of them match the block. I'm guessing in the usual Volvo fashion there's something else I need to buy. Or have they hidden the connector somewhere?
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:40   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Is the TRM Trailer Module fitted?

VIDA says:
The trailer module (TRM) manages the electrical connection between the vehicle and the trailer.

The control module in the S80 is placed in the luggage compartment underneath the left side tail lamp, in V70/XC70/V60/XC60 in the luggage compartment under the floor by the left wheel housing, in S60 in the luggage compartment by the left wheel housing and in the V40 in the luggage compartment under the right side tail lamp.

The trailer module (TRM) communicates with directly connected components and with other control modules via the controller area network (CAN).

The control module monitors input and output signal through integrated diagnostics. A Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored when the control module detects a fault. Any Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are stored in the control module memory. The information can be read off.

An easy way to check if the control module has power and is grounded, is to switch on the ignition and the turn signal lamps when the tow hitch connector is connected to its socket. The driver information module (DIM) indicator lamp lights and the trailer turn signal lamps should flash as they do on the vehicle. The trailer's connectors, cable harness and lights must not be damaged or defective when this check is carried out.

For further information, also see Signal specifications.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:41   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

VIDA also says:
Trailer module (TRM) has the task of managing the electrical connections between the vehicle and trailer.

The main task of the control module is to manage output signals to the cable harness for the tow hitch for:
  • Turn signal lamps
  • Brake light
  • Parking lamps
  • Back-up lamp
  • Fog lights
  • Charging (+12 V voltage).

The Trailer module (TRM) also communicates via the CAN with:
  • Central electronic module (CEM)
  • Driver information module (DIM)
  • the Differential electronic module (DEM) (option)
  • Obstacle Detection Control Module left (SODL) (4/126) (For V40 (13-))
  • Obstacle Detection Control Module right (SODR) (4/127) (For V40 (13-))
  • Parking Assistance Camera (PAC) (option)
  • the Parking Assistance Module (PAM) (option).
  • Engine control module (ECM)
  • Brake control module (BCM)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:43   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If you buy a TRM, beware of the following (from VIDA):

A new Trailer module (TRM) will not be pre-programmed, software must always be downloaded.

New software can be downloaded to a previously installed control module.
It is important that the correct part number is used when downloading software. This is so that the correct software is obtained and for full control module function. The part number corresponds to the type of output that is on the cable harness for the tow hitch.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:48   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

And even more from VIDA:

Trailer module (TRM) (4/110) ensures that the correct type of signal is transmitted to the cable harness for the tow hitch.

Depending on what gearbox is fitted to the vehicle, the trailer module (TRM) receive messages on CAN from:
  • The central electronic module (CEM) (4/56), when back-up lamps are to be activated (only vehicles with manual gearbox) and when the output signal for the turn signal lamps, parking lamps and fog lamps are to be activated.
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) (4/28), when back-up lamps are to be activated (only vehicles with automatic transmission).
The stop lamp signal is directly connected from the central electronic module (CEM) via the rear tail lamp. A stop lamp signal is transmitted from the central electronic module (CEM) to trailer module (TRM) on the CAN. The trailer module (TRM) transmits the signal on to the cable harness for the tow hitch.

The output signal for charing (+12 V voltage) is activated when the ignition switch is turned from position 0 to ignition. The trailer module (TRM) sends the signal via an internal MOSFET.

The trailer module (TRM) sends a message over CAN, to the central electronic module (CEM) and the driver information unit (DIM) (5/1) of the status of the stop lamps on the trailer. If the bulbs for the stop lamps and/or turn signal lamps are broken, a message is displayed in the driver information unit (DIM). If the bulb in one of the turn signal lamps on the trailer is broken, the turn signal lamps on the car and on the trailer will flash at double speed.

If any trailer is attached to the tow hitch connector socket, the trailer module (TRM) transmits a message on the CAN network to:
  • Central electronic module (CEM)
  • Driver information module (DIM)
  • Differential electronic module (DEM) (4/82) (option)
  • Obstacle Detection Control Module left (SODL) (4/126) (For V40 (13-))
  • Obstacle Detection Control Module right (SODR) (4/127) (For V40 (13-))
  • Parking Assistance Camera (PAC) (4/120) (option)
  • Parking Assistance Module (PAM) (4/86) (option)
  • Suspension module (SUM)
  • Engine control module (ECM) (4/46)
  • Brake control module (BCM) (4/16)

A special warning lamp in the Driver information module (DIM) will indicate when the turn signal lamps are used when a trailer is connected. If the bulb for a turn signal lamp is blown the special warning lamp will not light. However, a text message is displayed in the Driver information module (DIM).

The output signals for back-up (reverse) lamps, fog lamps and charging (12V supply) in the trailer connector are market dependent. Outputs for trailer connectors are available in the versions.
  • 13-pin
  • 4/7 pin (US market)
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:51   #6
1monkey600

Along with the wiring loom you also need a trailer module and software from volvo.
The TRM and software allows the parking sensors and rear fog lights to switch off when the trailer is plugged in. It also provides a 'trailer stability' function where the cars stability control kicks in to help you regain control if the trailer starts fish-tailing.
Fitting instructions TRM
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...20(11-)%202013

Fitting instructions wiring loom
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...20(11-)%202013
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 23:02   #7
DT19
Master Member

Ah, now it makes sense, thanks guys.

I did see some wires like the ones in the instructions so they must be for the module, I'll get one ordered tomorrow then get it booked in for the software install.

Thanks again
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote