Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Erde or Berenderup?

Views : 3366

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 20:06   #1
bullstiff

Default Erde or Berenderup?

In the past we've always used my van to go on our camping trips so loads of space for all our gear. Now we've got a lovely xc60 and my son wants friends to come with us I'm looking at getting a small trailer to enable us to use the car.
Ive been looking at 2nd hand ones but they seem to go for nearly as much as a new one and I'm not sure on which make to go for.
Erde seem well made and pretty reasonably priced, the Berenderup are more expensive but do seem to be of better quality and I like the fact they have larger wheels rather than the toy ones on the small Erde.
Do any of you have experience of towing these makes and what are your opinions of them, any advice would be appreciated.
I towed many types of trailer 15 years ago usually a 7.5ton truck and trailer and Unimog and double draw bar so I'm not phased by towing but am aware that the length of the drawbar and trailer can have an impact on the tow-ability etc
Are there any other makes I should be aware of?
Thanks Mark
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 21:04   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

I have a Caddy 535 which I bought from Towsure, in fact it is the second one the first one was stolen.

I have had it for about 10 years and it has been fault less. I did have to assemble it at Towsure when I collected it but this helped me understand how it works.

It has 10 inch wheels and no brakes. I have replaced the tyres which will give some idea of how much it has been used.

I would highly recommend them.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:10   #3
kenny
Master Member

I would stay away from the Brenderup, they are pants.

I thought they would be good as made by Thule and bought one for my boat. Big mistake, i had some bolts holding the rollers snap some welds split waterproof bearings failed a coupling bush failed and the worst was a wheel rim split open.

A bit of research at the time showed i was not alone with my problems.

I now have an indespension boat trailer and an indespension box trailer. Both are great.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 22:02   #4
PEGE63
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I would stay away from the Brenderup, they are pants.

I thought they would be good as made by Thule and bought one for my boat. Big mistake, i had some bolts holding the rollers snap some welds split waterproof bearings failed a coupling bush failed and the worst was a wheel rim split open.

A bit of research at the time showed i was not alone with my problems.

I now have an indespension boat trailer and an indespension box trailer. Both are great.
I have a Brenderup 1205S, been to France a few times, easy to tow and to be honest I tend to forget its hooked up behind you, very stable even at speed well above UK towing limits ( I follow what the French do when in France). Any issues with it? none at all to date. Not cheap but it should last me out.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PEGE63 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 09:06   #5
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Default new or used

as you say some of the used trailers go for almost the same as a new trailer so if a really good used trailer does not show up then buy new.

as for the type and make there are many really good makes all i would say is consider a trailer with a water cover and spare wheel.

if it will only be used for camping in the summer then consider not only the size of the trailer but the storage i bought a cheap small franc trailer and it can be pushed against a wall in a garage and set upright sitting on its tailgate takes up very little room very light and can take 400kg.

only disadvantage of a easy storage trailer tends to be no ladder rack but not needed for most things like camping.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 12:27   #6
bullstiff

Thanks David
Franc is not a make I've heard of, I'll check them out.
I don't need a ladder rack as I have a large van. The trailer will be
Used perhaps 4-6 times a year for camping then a couple more for trips to the tip. And storage on its end will be a must.
Thanks everyone so far for your thoughts.
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 20:35   #7
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

It's interesting coming across this thread as I'd recently been looking for a compact trailer for use where a 4 wheel Ifor Williams is far too large! (that's most of the time!)

I started looking at the small Erde's and the Brenderup 1150. I liked the Brenderup for its proper draw bar and full sized wheels and was on the verge of buying one, until I took a close look at the build quality, especially for those new ones stored outside. I don't know who does their galvanising, but those frames and panels start rusting while still at the dealers! Even with a proper lid on, there are large gaps for rain and spray to penetrate through as well. That wooden floor is a bit unconvincing too...

My moving up to the Erde 153 (and beyond) it's becomes a small version of a proper trailer, with full sized wheels, much better frame and draw bar and is so much better built and rust proofed than the Brenderup. By doing without an ABS lid and making do with a waterproof cover it's still affordable and I can always add an ABS lid later.

(Blimey! Over 8 years since my last post!!)

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 20:39.
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:51   #8
green van man
Premier Member

I suppose these days we cannot make our own.

It's what I did back in the 1980s steel framed, galv steel sheet sides and top with a 3/4 marine ply floor on 10cwt indespention units and a second hand caravan hitch. Ran mini wheels and brakes with a jockey wheel which made handling easy. Was fully waterproof and the gear except canvas and bedding lived in it year round for many years without detrement

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 06:38   #9
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

I’ve used my Erde 193 a few times now and must have run up about 600 miles in the month or so that I’ve owned it.

What seemed like a complete overkill in the shop (twice the volume and three times the chassis strength!) turned out to be the bare minimum! Even at 850 ish litres, we completely filled it the first time out. The Brenderup 1150 would have been hopeless!!

Starting again, I’d have considered the larger 213, or even the 233. I’ve just fitted the higher sides instead.

Also I’m glad that we didn’t go for the rigid top. A bespoke cover makes the trailer much more flexible and easier to load (I’ve already had to haul a small shed in it, which wouldn’t have been possible with a rigid lid) and ironically, is more waterproof in use (as it extends further down the sides than the plastic lid). The perceived security of the rigid lid is overstated too, as the hasps that hold the lid down could easily be defeated by a moron with a large screwdriver and could easily be improved on by a single sheet of plywood (and two proper padlocks and hasps) which could sit over the top of the trailer and underneath the weatherproof cover.

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Apr 21st, 2018 at 06:42.
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:00   #10
dingov70
Master Member

Based on my own 30+ years of towing experieince , I would suggest a trailer with car tyres rather than small trailer wheels . Puncture & ruined tyre ,any tyre place can sort out . Noddy tyres are a different matter , I also reccommend , maybe suprisingly , going for lower profile tyres on the trailer as this will reduce any sway induced movement from the tyres sidewall .

Over estimate what you will load on to your trailer & make a bit more allowance for extra . It is better to have a larger trailer loaded flat , rather than a small one piled high & it swaying .

I have owned Brunderup , Indepsension , Ifor Williams & one home made trailer ,
all bigger than initially estimated .

Finally , a larger trailer is easier to see in your mirrors & therefore easier to reverse , as you can see very quickly if it moves out of line