Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hollow tapping from fuel rail Duff FPR?

Views : 1600

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 11:56   #21
Greybeard

I agree Eric, it could be any number of things connected with the fuel rail, I may just have to live with it!
Strange that there's so little info out there about the impulse inhibitor thing on the fuel rail inlet pipe!
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:09   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

YOu may well find when you sort that wastegate/blow-off valve the problem disappears.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:32   #23
Greybeard

Hi Dave, I reconnected the control rod as soon as I discovered it was disconnected, it now boosts as it should and the wastegate does it's 'pa-shoosh' thing but the drumming is still there on tickover once the engine warms up.
If I unplug the MAF it appears to stop! Plug it back in and it's there!
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:52   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
If I unplug the MAF it appears to stop! Plug it back in and it's there!
Unplug or disconnect the air intake hose from the turbo to the MAF? Unplugging the electrical connector will put it into limp mode on idle and you probably won't be able to rev it much either.

It's certainly an odd one either way!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 19:46   #25
Greybeard

Unplugging the maf gets rid of the noise but as you say it's in limp mode, cleaned the maf and reconnected, cleared the error codes, the noise is still present, cleaning the maf has improved performance though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:44   #26
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

What is this 'pa-choosh' sound? If I haven't heard it all these years, perhaps I ought get one. I feel like I'm missing out on something.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:12   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbeaumont View Post
What is this 'pa-choosh' sound? If I haven't heard it all these years, perhaps I ought get one. I feel like I'm missing out on something.
First..................... you need a turbo. The blow-off valve aka dump valve deals with sudden pressure increases out of the range the wastegate normally deals with.

As you accelerate through the gears, the turbo spools up and builds pressure. The wastegate limits that pressure to the normal maximum boost level say 10psi for normal use.
When you let go of the loud pedal and stand on the clutch pedal to change gear, there's suddenly an excess of pressure between the turbo and the throttle butterfly. This can stall the turbo resulting in shattered impeller blades and other nasty things.

This is where the dump valve or blow-off valve comes into play, releasing that excess pressure to prevent the turbo stalling. Usually on production cars it is silenced by dumping into the air intake system on the turbo intake side but a lot of people modify them with an external dump valve so they hear it in action at every gear change.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 11:01   #28
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Thanks, Dave. Guessed it was along those lines. If, on my 97 LPT (178k) I hear no 'pa-choosh' is there a fundamental malfunction? Or was the 'pa-choosh' not fitted at the factory?
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 11:40   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You would have had a "pa-choosh" fitted at the factory but as i mentioned earlier, it would be one of the silent variety. Also to be able to hear it, you need to be giving it the beans and even then, a factory one would be hard to hear.

If you're fairly gentle on the loud pedal you're unlikely to hear it and especially if you have an auto.

Going back about 20 years, i had an MG Montego Turbo - one of the fastest production saloons of its time - and even giving that the beans i never heard the dump valve/ "pa-choosh".

If you wander along to where your local boy racers meet up in the evenings, you're bound to hear a few dump valves which would be the aftermarket variety.

Old Apr 15th, 2018, 18:58   #30
Greybeard

That's weird! I have a '97 LPT as well and there's definitely a 'pa-choose', ok it's not as loud as the boy racers with external dump valves but still there after pulling reasonably hard in the mid rev range then releasing the accelerator. Or am I hearing something else???