Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt/auxiliary belt issue prevention? D5 euro 3

Views : 496

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:33   #1
JGTTDI

Default Timing belt/auxiliary belt issue prevention? D5 euro 3

Hi everyone,

I am sure that this has been discussed in the past as many have no doubt thought about this very question.

My question is, is there any way of preventing the auxiliary belt failing and taking out the timing belt? I know the most obvious answer is just renew all associated parts with genuine Volvo parts with the hopes that they will last a good while without any issues. But I heard there was a metal bracket for sale that could stop the belt from taking the timing belt out. Is this a possibility or have any of you tried this?

Thanks in advance Jonathan.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:49   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

There was a guy selling them but I've not seen any posts about them for a while.

As you've hinted at, if you adhere to the belt and pulleys change schedule and use genuine parts, this is an almost unheard of failure in fact I've never heard of an example of failure that couldn't be traced back to a quality or change schedule issue so I'd spend my money there.

Personally, I've owned 4 D5s totalling a million miles and it's a non issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:52   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

Never heard of the plate idea. I reckon at best it's a band aid to stop people worrying, at worst it will provoke what it said it could prevent. Volvo are not stupid.
The weakest link on the aux belt is/was the tensioner and idler pulleys. I hear very little about it derailing timing belts these days. I have seen different design tensioners on our car so maybe the thing is sorted.
Alternator clutch/overrun pulleys can stress the belt as well.
Best prevention is a common sense approach. Is the aux belt running smooth and silent at all times. Change when due and give serious consideration to replacing the tensioner on the aux belt when doing timing belt.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: