Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo dog guard - fitting confusion!

Views : 8622

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2007, 13:50   #1
simonmeadwell
Simon M

Default Volvo dog guard - fitting confusion!

I recently bought a dog guard off of ebay with all the bits but no instructions. It is a Volvo genuine part and by showing it to the rear of the car it appears that it might be attached to the interior roof. It is slightly concave in shape, and it is approximately the same size area as from the top of the rear seats to the roof. It also looks like once it is attached to the car that it can detach from the car leaving just the sort of bolt housing. Sorry I cant describe this any better. Has anyone fitted one of these?! Sorry, my camera is playing up so I cant detach a photo.

Many thanks

Simon
simonmeadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 15:35   #2
bobandcal
Volvo - No going back

Cool Dog Gaurd Fittings

Hi Simon,
Iv'e Tried To Discribe It As Best I Can, So Here Goes.

Locate The Weld Nut In The Roof Member, Its About 160 Mm In Front Of The Stay Bar For The Rear Seat Belt, You Can Feel It Through The Roof Lining.
Make A Hole In The Head Lining Where The Nut Is.
You Should Have Two Attachments For Hanging The Dog Guard, A Left & Right.
The Bracket Is Attached So The Bolt & Washer Are To The Rear Of The Car, And The Hole With Slot That The Guard Attaches Should Be Vertical If Correctly Fitted. (if You Have The Extra Rear Seats Fitted Then You Would Use The Same Fitting Point As Used For The Extra Seat Belts)
Once The Brackets Are Attached The Guard Just Fits Into Each Side Adjusting The Side Movement Till It Is Central, You Will Need To Hold The Guard At An Angle To Align The Pins, Tighten Up The Finger Nuts When Central.
The Guard Should Now Hang Freely.
You Should Have Two Metal Clips Each With Two Holes, These A Screwed To The Rear Of The Back Seat, The First Hole Is About 55 Mm From The Upholstery Seam Outer Edge Of Seat, The Holes Are Lower Most And The Clip Should Spring Around The Bottom Of The Lower Rail On The Guard Stopping It From Moving.
When Not In Use The Guard Is Pulled From The Retaining Clips And Swung Up Against The Roof, You Should Have To Plastic Clips That Hold It In Position.
If You Clip The Plastic Clips To The Guard On The Vertical Tube Second Gap Up From The Bottom , With The Guard Held Against The Roof The Retaining Clips Which Have Tapered Bottoms Which Should Face Thinnest Edge Forwards, You Should See Where The Clips Need To Be Drilled For Self Tapping Screws.
When Complete You Should Have Two Clips On The Back Of The Seat For Holding In The Down Position, And Two Attached To The Metal Side Of The Roof For Holding It In The Stored Position.
Hope You Can Under Standing All This.
I Will Try And Send Some Photo's If I Can
Bob
bobandcal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobandcal For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2007, 18:08   #3
bobandcal
Volvo - No going back

Default Dog Gaurd Fittings/2

Hi Simon,
These pictures might help.
Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dog guard pics.pdf (318.5 KB, 407 views)
bobandcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:51   #4
nick_ovlov
VOC20556

yes thats the proper dog guard- i know as my car previously had one but the owner removed it and left the fixings intact. now i dont have a dog, but a dog guard would be useful to stop objects flying forward under hard braking if the boot was full of a load of general stuff. does anyone know where i could get one(are they difficult to get hold of) also how much do they tent to go for? im in absolutely no rush to get one as its over a year before i even get my provisional and then my car can go on the road
nick_ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:30   #5
Checkpoint Charlie

The other good thing that dog guards are good for is as a base for the rear seat passenger headrest which is a genuine Volvo accessory that attaches to the dog guard.
Regards,
Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 18:41   #6
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Nick OVLOV

Try Steve Quinn at Volvo Valley, e-mail: stevequinn-volvo@tiscali.co.uk

Good Luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 03:00   #7
seolta

Hello,

Would it be possible to please repost your pictures? The link seems not to be working at this point.

Thank you
seolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:23   #8
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkpoint Charlie View Post
The other good thing that dog guards are good for is as a base for the rear seat passenger headrest which is a genuine Volvo accessory that attaches to the dog guard.
Regards,
Charlie
I'd really like one of those but I've never seen one except in the accessories booklet. There must have been some around sometime surely.

The dog guard is really easy to fit, even I managed it! You're lucky to have the clips which hold it up to the roof, they seem to fall into the hen's teeth category.
Angie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:26   #9
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_ovlov View Post
yes thats the proper dog guard- i know as my car previously had one but the owner removed it and left the fixings intact. now i dont have a dog, but a dog guard would be useful to stop objects flying forward under hard braking if the boot was full of a load of general stuff. does anyone know where i could get one(are they difficult to get hold of) also how much do they tent to go for? im in absolutely no rush to get one as its over a year before i even get my provisional and then my car can go on the road
They do sometimes come up on Ebay. I got mine from someone who was scrapping her car so maybe worth posting in 'Wants' section.
Angie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:18   #10
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Crickey, this ones been 'pulled out of the depths'.... Don't think Steve Quinn's Volvo Valley is still going......

Yes try in the 'wants' section, it's amazing what folks find in sheds/attics. I got my 240 one from here.......
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote