Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

carb dilema

Views : 858

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 18:49   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default carb dilema

so started PV up first time since fire and carb re build, found fuel spewing out after lots of head scratching and trying to set float level correctly I managed to sort that out. I removed the float lid from the other carb so as to make comparisons and found that the lids were different so no comparison possible. took a guess at the level by eye balling it. Cant send photo to burlens foe explanation as to the difference (they re built the carbs originally when i first acquired the PV) Pic's attached below. Would welcome any comments The carbs are SU-H4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180808_01_01.jpg (124.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20180808_02.jpg (117.3 KB, 26 views)
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 19:32   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

I'm no HS4 expert but I could easily see variations in production and replacement parts being the explanation for you differences...

One thing I do note, which quite bothers me, is on the picture is the very steep angle at which float arm contacts valve shuttle on left Bowl Lid...if that is the one which overflowed, I can suggest the cause of the overflow was that steep contact angle caused shuttle to jam against valve wall instead of moving along it to close off fuel flow...do you see what I mean?...force is to side of shuttle NOT along its axis...bend float arm to correct, while keeping float height at shut-off correct also...

I just realized that what I thought was shuttle is a float arm stop...so disregard my previous, half-cocked info...just make certain fuel system post pump is clean (a post-pump filter can't hurt), floats are adjusted to shut off fuel at correct height, and valve shuttle slides freely in valve body!

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Aug 8th, 2018 at 19:46.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 19:58   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb116a.htm

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb116b.htm

I didn't read the links, but I'd start by trying flatten out the fork on the left.

If all else fails, I can perhaps send you a substitute float cover. I'll have to dig around to see what I can find, but I have some partial H4 carbs in the basement.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 22:12   #4
arcturus
arcturus

It's the float angle which bothers me. A problem waiting to happen. I definitely think that the rear float bowl needs to be changed. It would take some tricky bending of the float arm to bring it parallel with the needle.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 23:06   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

You should be able to pull the pin and pull the fork off for straightening. Look at the second link that I attached, as I think it shows how straight it should be.

https://youtu.be/82YNx-RkGNI
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 15:44   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

It looks like you have one of each of the 2 types of float chamber lid mentioned in the second of the MGAGURU article, note the height of the posts for the pivot pins. Both should work if adjusted correctly I guess but it would be best to have them both the same. Fifty/fifty guess that the one with the taller posts is the later one. I think Burlens should have matched them when they did the rebuild. Rebuilds are expensive but they should correct and update as part of that IMO.
Oddly, one has a tickler and the other one doesn't. The blank one is listed as a type T8 (your burnt one) but the others, depending on diameter are T1, T2 and T4.

I can take your picture with me to Beaulieu on 1/2 September and show them. The have a big stand with technical staff there. But. I think you should send the pic to them and ask for an explanation. Include your rebuild invoice number. I expect you have been to their contact page and found that you can't send pics (you mentioned it) but if you can find someone locally with a Fax machine you might be able to send it that way.
If I can help, email me off list.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 09:58   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb116a.htm

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb116b.htm

I didn't read the links, but I'd start by trying flatten out the fork on the left.

If all else fails, I can perhaps send you a substitute float cover. I'll have to dig around to see what I can find, but I have some partial H4 carbs in the basement.
Private email sent