Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 or V70 advice please

Views : 615

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 13:06   #1
woolfie1948

Default V50 or V70 advice please

I am thinking of downsizing from my v70 SE petrol auto 2.4 to a 2006/7 v50 auto.
I would appreciate any advice from owners of v50s on what to look for and what they are like to live with.
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 14:25   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, if you want an automatic, then you are limited to a few engines:

T5, D5, D4, D3, 2.4i, 2.4, 2.0d

All have their pros and cons when buying and cost different.

Important thing would be to check the obvious things:

brakes, enginebay, exhaust, screens, lights.

There aren't many trouble areas... if you get a model with Volvo sat-nav, expect the screen some day to simply stay flat when you turn it on. Make sure the outside temperature gauge says the correct temperature (there were some models where this went potty). Make sure the aircon works properly, radio too etc.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 14:45   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Have you got an engine size/type in mind?

I'll go for the obvious bits first, there is a sizeable difference in both presence and size from the V70 to V50. I'm sure I didn't need to say it as it's like stating the obvious! But really, there is a large size difference between the two. My mother has a D5 XC70 and I have a T5 V50, she was down visiting last week and we ran around most of the time in the XC70 and compared to my V50 it is like a spaceship. The V50 is in no way tiny but it is a big drop in comfort if your use to it.

My mother has some mobility issues and needs to be able to slide in and out by swinging her legs round to get out of the vehicle and again the the big wide doors and seating of the XC70 offers gives plenty room but the V50 is a little more restrictive and she had to work hard at getting in/out.

Obvious bits out the way then it is down to personal choice for engines but the 2.0 diesel is a good match for the V50 to provide economy and power. Personally I feel the 1.6 diesel to be too underpowered for the car and since your use to the bigger engine of the V70 I wouldn't look at dropping down less than the 2.0d. The 2.4 D5 is a great engine that is marginally less MPG figures than the 2.0d but alot more grunt and fun. In the diesel it would be my engine of choice. On the petrol side you do get a 1.8 which again I think personally is a little underpowered but can offer decent economy. After this your then looking at the 2.4 engine which is like for like with what you've already got or the more powerful 2.5 T5. With the T5 driven normally it won't be much different MPG wise to your 2.4 but when you put the foot down it gives a very big smile with lots of pull that lasts throughout the rev range.

Only you can choose what engine will better suite your needs but you need to be aware of the extra servicing costs of a diesel over a petrol (DPF). If you are considering a diesel then ensure you do your homework and ensure the relevant parts have been changed at the right time if relevant (DPF filter, EOLYS fluid).

Trim level, there are plenty of fine examples out there, just ensure you get one with all the toys on already. It makes very little difference in the 2nd hand market for cars with no toys to cars with all the toys. Have a good search about, the one you want will pop up somewhere soon enough.

To look for, again depends on petrol or diesel model but generic bits are wheel bearing noise (common fault) clonking over bumps (drop links) and inner tyre wear. V50 auto boxes (AW50/55) is in my opinion a good box, I would suggest a transmission fluid change at some point although Volvo say it is supposed to be 'Life' fluid if the vehicle is not used as a taxi or towing. A full service history is always a nice to have on any vehicle.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Apr 10th, 2012 at 14:51.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 16:16   #4
woolfie1948

Thanks for comments.
I expect I would go for a 2.4 petrol as I don't do heavy mileage and I don't need more power than the 170 in mine.
I know it's smaller than the v70 and can live with smaller capacity what I do however want is comfort and elbow room.
I know volvos quite well and it sounds like mechanically it is similar to the v70 but suppose I must go and sit in one to test seat passenger space etc. I am surprised to read about the getting in and out issue, and as my wife is a large lady and does have arthritus I suppose we need to try one.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 16:53   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, arm room is plenty... At least in my opinion.

The 2.4 though is a slug. Greedy for what it puts on the road. The 2.4i (170 hp) is the better buy with no real difference in MPG.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 17:06   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

As Daim says opt for the 170hp if going for the 2.4 but don't rule out a D5. If you can find one you cantake for a test drive. I'm sure you would be very impressed with both power and economy.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 19:59   #7
Zaramia

Having owned a V70 P2 2.4i SE automatic and now driving a V50 2.4i SE Geartronic, I think that i have a very good insight into your question.

They are like chalk and cheese and your enjoyment of the cars will depend very much on your driving preferences :-

Noise levels - V70 much quieter - Engine note is 'Gruffer' in V50, but not unpleasant

Perceived quality - V70 much better - everything feels so much more solid - don't miss the rubbish cupholder in the dash though

Comfort - V70 better - Seats are much more armchairish

Parking - V50 far better - no more trying to berth an Ocean Liner

Space - V70 much bigger - but I prefer the compactness of the V50 - don't need or miss the extra space

Roadholding - Much 'Sportier' ride with the V50, but on 17" rims not harsh

Performance - I guess the V50 will have the edge on the V70 being a lighter car - the Geartronic box is excellent - kickdown is very impressive

They are both good cars - the V70 had a couple of minor niggles, 90,000 miles - the V50 has had nothing so far, 50,000 miles, but I have used the same Independant Volvo garage for both, and they do an excellent job.
Zaramia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaramia For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 21:58   #8
woolfie1948

Thanks everyone I now know more what Iam to look out for.
Surprised though that all 2.4 are not 2.4i - i is for injection surely?
Or is the i just to distinguish the 140 bhp engine from the 170 bhp?
I will have to try a test drive as I assumed that as my v70 is a 170 and goes well enough for me the v50 would be better, and that comfort would be similar.
More head scratching needed
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 15:51   #9
sprout99
Master Member

we have a D5 - getting a regular 43mpg from it
sounds lovely too.

Nice and spacious for front seat passengers. Not bothered about rear as out child is only 8months

Boot is big enough too.

Ride and build are top notch and i have come across from owning BMW's and VAG cars.

headlights are rubbish so look for xenons
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote