Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v40, how many miles do they last?

Views : 14459

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:42   #11
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I always do my homework before buying a car and the Renault block used as the basis for the engine of the phase 2 1.9D is generally considered to be about the best of the diesel engines made at the time in terms of life expectancy and is also one of the more economic ones as well.
There is no reason why you should not be able to do 3 to 400,000 miles before a rebuild and the limiting factor will probably be the emissions test in my case, as Germany has tougher standards than the UK.
The secret to long engine life is mostly a matter of using top quality oil and filters (Definitely Volvo filters), combined with adjusting the oil change interval to suit the cars use. If you drive mostly on the motorways then 10,000 mile changes if you use top quality 5/40 full synthetic oil is reasonable to start with, but the trick is to cross check the change interval by doing occasional oil analysis using a lab like Blackstone in the US that has experts to write the comments section and warn you of potential problems.
If you are faced with driving in town a lot and doing a lot of stop starts, then cut the change the change interval down and once you get past 200,000 miles then defintely change oil and filter every 6,000 miles. The oil analysis results will guide you in your final few hundred thousand miles and low oil consumption is a very good sign (Mine is 1 ltr per 10,000 km change interval). I will be taking a sample for the lab alternate oil changes when I change the air and fuel filters and if it starts to show fuel contamination then I will shorten the oil change interval further and think about changing the injector tips if the oil consumption and metal particles figures look good. Obviously if I start to see traces of anti freeze or silica particles in the oil analysis results I will act accordingly in terms of sealing the cooling system and checking for air filter leaks.
I am investigating the possible use of Liquid Moly Ceretec additive to reduce wear of the rings in particular as I have to do a lot of stop start driving, but I want to get several oil analysis figures first to use as a base line for checking if it works. The general opinion is that it helps reduce wear in the cylinders but not the exhaust valve guides and top end, so my aim is to hope the bearings are in good enough condition at 400,000 km to consider a top end only overhaul including new injector tips and valve guides. If I make 400,000 km that will be the key decision making service, because the cam belt will also be due and in economic terms there is no point in doing a top end job to pass the emissions test for a few more years and the expensive cam belt service, if the particle figures and oil consumption graph looks like either the rings or even a bearing will fail in the near future.
Some time in the future I will check if switching to the use of LM 0/40 Synthoil helps, but I will have to watch the analysis results in terms of TBN in particular, because use of 0/40 has not been evaluated by either Volvo or LM, but it is listed as OK in the handbook and Renault think it is also acceptable. It might help offset my stop start cycle ring wear issues, but oils that have a wider viscosity range sometimes use additives that don't last as long, which is one reason why a lot of trucks use 15/40 because some of the good quality oils of that type last longer and most trucks do much longer trips, so initial cold start wear is not such a concern.
Obviously driving style makes a difference in terms of engine life and the avoidance of high revs when the engine is cold is very important, but my main concern is lack of autobahn use, as a once a month blast on a Sunday will have to be included to try and burn off carbon deposits and luckily the lack of a speed limit is of great help in that respect as you need to get to near max continous RPM (Red line is 4500 and continous rating is 4000 for the 1.9D) for a few hours to really clean things out.
If the figures look good I am going to see if Liquid Moly will sponsor my oil changes as I try for the record before a rebuild.

3133 Keith Hinchliffe UK England V40 2002 457478
2659 Gerhard P. Hirsch Germany V40 diesel 2002 370647

Does anyone know if the two chaps above did any kind of rebuild or top end job on their diesels, as I would be interested to know? In my mind the real record will be miles before a rebuild.
I kind of think the tubo might not last that long, but not sure about that as most fail because of incorrect maintenance and one reason I use a good full synthetic approved by Porsche is that turbos are real fussy in oil terms, although some get killed off by drivers that go hammering down the autobahn and then suddenly decide to answer a call of nature that has a fast direct access lane to a parking place, so they slam the brakes on and immediately switch off the engine as soon as they stop. Doing that trick even once with most turbos causes real damage to the bearings and modern top of the range cars have an electric post shut down oil pump to keep oil flowing around the turbo for as long as 5 minutes in some cases.

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 27th, 2012 at 07:38.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 00:13   #12
JorgeEsquivelzeta

Default Volvo v40 1.8l

Hello There,
I am interested in buying this Volvo V40 1.8l. It is at a good price, alas certainly there are some details that I prefer to share in here, in order to get a proper Feedback.

-It has 308,000 km.
-The 5 gear is more difficult to set and use than the other 4.
-it has rust on the roof and the splash.

I really appreciate Your Support and help.

Thank You.

J.
JorgeEsquivelzeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 11:07   #13
clarkey1984
Premier Member

My 2l non turbo phase 1 had done around 180k when I sold it, the P2 t4 I've got now is on 182k, it is in need of a little TLC (it's been ragged pretty hard by previous owners) but it's still ok, and still fast as hell.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 20:21   #14
canis
Non Fragile

Currently sat on the drive, awaiting funds for repair. I need an ABS pump, I think. And a fuel pressure regulator.

Prior to this, 189,000 miles. And I'm not done yet, there's still a lot of life in this car, just these two (rather expensive, it turns out) items are preventing re-MOT.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 20:57   #15
piperdave

178429....use it every day for community nursing....V40 petrol 1.8 manual.
piperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 23:28   #16
aldred309uk

I've just managed to hit 194,000 today in mine. Bought it about 3 years ago on about 126,000 miles. Put a new clutch and flywheel on it not long after that and the egr was playing up quite badly. Change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Using Mann filters and now using Comma fully synthetic oil. Done a few oil flushes since I've had it and it's responded well each time. I actually think that the car gets better with age. I'm getting 47mpg combined out of it driving down the motorway and into a city centre with some country roads too. Sailed through its last 2 MoTs with just a few minors. Painted brake lines and ball joint rubber boots mainly. Had a lazy and temperamental headlight issue which was the dreaded CEM issue. £4 and 20 minutes later it was fixed. Just swapped the relays with a soldering iron and solder sucker. Still no issues from it. Brakes straight and true. More than happy with the car and would recommend one to friends. Got to make sure you pick a good one though!
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 19:03   #17
dralphs

Getting nearly to 240,000 on my 2004 V40 1.9D Sport with xenons
It was previously used by a builder when i got it at 170,000 so boot was poor and it had a few scratches/dents but had been serviced regularly.
It now gets services on the dot and apart from full cambelt kit when i bought it and then clutch, dmf and egr last year its only had regular service items and tyres.
Still runs fine but think the bushes & shocks will need doing soon as its starting to feel "loose" on rough roads or gusty weather.
Keep looking at changing to V70 or XC70 but do i want the hassle of DPF and more electronics when the V40 is still running so well.
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 17:27   #18
V40T4R

130 000 miles
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 22:48   #19
gmartin

My 2002 V40 1.9d is currently sitting at 298,500 miles and still happy to do 600 miles a week with no complaints. Bought the car with 128,000 miles 6 years ago for £1400 and have spent around £4500 on servicing and repairs so £6k total cost over 6 years for about 170k miles of driving - I don’t think any car could deliver such good value for money. I’ve replaced Turbo at 200k and alternator at 290k as well as usual stuff for high mileage cars such as wheel bearings, brake Calipers and suspension top mounts but only one broken coil spring in all those miles which is amazing.

My previous 2001 s40 1.9d did 250,000 miles before it was killed by lazy servicing leading to broken timing belt so I learned a lesson there for my 2nd Volvo. I hope to get this one up to 310k by it’s next Mot in May but the new MOT regs may kill it off after that.
gmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmartin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 14:41   #20
one black hat

my 1999 V40 1.8 petrol has 177,000 and still drives like it's 5 years old. seems to be indestructable.
one black hat is offline   Reply With Quote