Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 1.6 DRIVe?

Views : 1734

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 16:28   #11
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew1911 View Post
I would, but it'd be a D5.
Even then I wouldn't as it costs more to run a D5 with inly 7.000 miles/year than a T5 - which has cheaper service costs and produces a bigger

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 16:50   #12
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Even then I wouldn't as it costs more to run a D5 with inly 7.000 miles/year than a T5 - which has cheaper service costs and produces a bigger
I'd dispute that, especially lately Petrol/Diesel is only 3-4ppl difference, Tax is a lot cheaper, insurance is, and 35mpg vs. 18mpg, bet there's a lot less in it then you'd think!
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 16:51   #13
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
I'd dispute that, especially lately Petrol/Diesel is only 3-4ppl difference, Tax is a lot cheaper, insurance is, and 35mpg vs. 18mpg, bet there's a lot less in it then you'd think!
Servicing would be the biggest issue, but we are miles away from the topic now

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 20:02   #14
Dave Z

Quote:
I've driven quite hard sometimes but never managed 18mpg. Despite my short trips and lack of long runs on the motorway I average 29mpg. Did 48mpg on an overnight run to Bradford once.

Feeling more indecisive than ever now, lol. Maybe I should just get something cheap to run for 6 months or so until my circumstances look a little more certain. In the meantime I can plough all the saved money into my savings account and have more to play with when I'm ready. Appreciate the feedback here. Never had a diesel in our household so I'm not as up on them as some of you are. Seems like 2.0/D3 would be the way to go if I find myself a nice 20+ mile commute or probably the 2.0 petrol if I stay put or head somewhere close by.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 20:11   #15
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Z View Post
I've driven quite hard sometimes but never managed 18mpg. Despite my short trips and lack of long runs on the motorway I average 29mpg. Did 48mpg on an overnight run to Bradford once.

Feeling more indecisive than ever now, lol. Maybe I should just get something cheap to run for 6 months or so until my circumstances look a little more certain. In the meantime I can plough all the saved money into my savings account and have more to play with when I'm ready. Appreciate the feedback here. Never had a diesel in our household so I'm not as up on them as some of you are. Seems like 2.0/D3 would be the way to go if I find myself a nice 20+ mile commute or probably the 2.0 petrol if I stay put or head somewhere close by.
your biggest problem technically speaking is the DPF on short runs with modern diesels.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 20:28   #16
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
your biggest problem technically speaking is the DPF on short runs with modern diesels.
Exactly! A DPF needs the possibility to regenerate and that needs time and distance.

7.000 miles a year...

52 weeks á 5 days

-> 7.000/260 = 26 miles a day. Of course, if you only drive for work, then it would be 13 miles and that can be too short to regenerate. Meaning the DPF will clog up and it will need to be changed more frequently than 6/8 years.

If you want a diesel, get one without a DPF. Still keep in mind, that a diesel will still require the same amount, possibly even more service than a petrol. The 4 cylinder diesels (except D2) need additives and DPFs. The D5 needs more diesel and has more oildemand etc - thrus suffers from illnesses like raising oil levels etc.

Not being a petrol head, but I'd get a petrol. If you want a bit of fun every so often, a 2.0l is good. If you want a good economy, a 2.0l But if you want just to chug along and don't really want much to do: get a 1.8l. Low service, nearly trouble free and more economic than a 1.6l (which really is just lame...).

A cheap petrol will probably easily be better than a small diesel... Thrus being that the small petrols (1.8/2.0) have proven to be near to trouble free (every so often a clean up, new plugs and done).

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:18   #17
Ninja59

Quote:
Exactly! A DPF needs the possibility to regenerate and that needs time and distance.

7.000 miles a year...

52 weeks á 5 days

-> 7.000/260 = 26 miles a day. Of course, if you only drive for work, then it would be 13 miles and that can be too short to regenerate. Meaning the DPF will clog up and it will need to be changed more frequently than 6/8 years.

If you want a diesel, get one without a DPF. Still keep in mind, that a diesel will still require the same amount, possibly even more service than a petrol. The 4 cylinder diesels (except D2) need additives and DPFs. The D5 needs more diesel and has more oildemand etc - thrus suffers from illnesses like raising oil levels etc.

Not being a petrol head, but I'd get a petrol. If you want a bit of fun every so often, a 2.0l is good. If you want a good economy, a 2.0l But if you want just to chug along and don't really want much to do: get a 1.8l. Low service, nearly trouble free and more economic than a 1.6l (which really is just lame...).

A cheap petrol will probably easily be better than a small diesel... Thrus being that the small petrols (1.8/2.0) have proven to be near to trouble free (every so often a clean up, new plugs and done).

mine does not have a DPF daim and is a 2.0D so you could try finding one without the little bu**er. still does not change the rest though sadly...the only thing is the cheaper VED on diesels usually.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:58   #18
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
mine does not have a DPF daim and is a 2.0D so you could try finding one without the little bu**er. still does not change the rest though sadly...the only thing is the cheaper VED on diesels usually.
That's what I wrote If it MUST be a diesel, find one without a DPF

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:10   #19
Ninja59

Quote:
That's what I wrote If it MUST be a diesel, find one without a DPF
you will only find the 2.0D without though...if at all.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:54   #20
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
you will only find the 2.0D without though...if at all.
Unless someone de-DPF'ed their 1.6d