Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 volvo s40 audio controls

Views : 827

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 23:13   #1
Paddy77

Default 2005 volvo s40 audio controls

Hi

Does any one know if my 2005 s40 2.0D se should have audio & c controls on the steering wheel as as I have just bought it & thought it would as it is the se so am thinking maybe it has been in a crash & they changed the wheel or am I worrying for nothing what do you guys think thanks all the best Martin
Paddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 01:52   #2
Thom12
Master Member

Is it just a standard Volvo steering wheel? Or is it something custom?
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:06   #3
Paddy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
Is it just a standard Volvo steering wheel? Or is it something custom?
Hi thanks for the reply it has a standard Volvo wheel with no controls it just the other se I looked at had them I think I will get the wheel with the controls & see if it works thanks again
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:20   #4
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy77 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply it has a standard Volvo wheel with no controls it just the other se I looked at had them I think I will get the wheel with the controls & see if it works thanks again
May not be quite that simple. There will be some sort of connector device within the steering column that you may or may not have. And of course adding a steering wheel control to the radio might require some sort of software upgrade before it actually functions.

Hopefully, someone who actually knows will comment upon those points.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:40   #5
IanLD

If it is an SE then it should have cruise and audio controls on the wheel. The S didn't.

What does the screen display when you turn the radio on?
IanLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:49   #6
Paddy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanLD View Post
If it is an SE then it should have cruise and audio controls on the wheel. The S didn't.

What does the screen display when you turn the radio on?
Hi thanks it shows a pic of the the Volvo s40 why do you ask thanks again martin
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 22:48   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I would have a look at your V5 form and see what it says as to the trim level of your car and then double check witha Volvo dealer too. I'm not 100% but if you have got an SE trim car I believe that should already have the Audio and Cruise buttons. It would maybe indicate the car has had a replacement steering wheel at some stage.

The tell tale sign would be to get the audio and cruise blocks and fit them, the audio just plugs and plays and works but normally the cruise has to have a software update. If you insert the cruise block and it just works then this would indicate again that someone has done a steering wheel swap on your car.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 00:32   #8
IanLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy77 View Post
Hi thanks it shows a pic of the the Volvo s40 why do you ask thanks again martin
Does it say High Performance Sound beside the picture? SE has this as standard, but S did not. Another clue about the spec of your car.

Do you have a button on the right stalk for rain sensor operated wipers and at the end of the left stalk, can you bring up fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, distance to empty, average speed on the display?

Does the car have front fog lights?

These are all differences between the standard specification S and SE models that are easy enough to spot. Your steering wheel sounds like the S spec, but you can get a better idea from other things as above.
IanLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 13:30   #9
7050man
Master Member

I think Original SE models had High Performance stereo which is displayed on screen at switch on (radio)

MY10 Se only had Performance stereo.

Both of these had audio controls on the steering wheel.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote