Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting a C30 D5 R-Design Sport

Views : 741

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:29   #1
allarmsandlegs

Default Getting a C30 D5 R-Design Sport

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and I am looking to buy a 2008 C30 D5 2.4 R-Design Sport with 40,000 miles on the clock. I was just wondering if there were any known issues on this particular model that I should be made aware of? Such as a recommended timing belt change... or knowing that as it is based on a Ford chassis things like suspension bushes? Any advice or tips you may have would be greatly appreciated.

The car is an Approved Volvo Selekt so the recalls will(should) have been done...

Thanks!
allarmsandlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:34   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

just check the oil level. I do not know if this has been fully resolved but fuel was contaminating the oil on DPF D5's and raising the oil level above max so it should in theory be 3/4's full oil wise.

timing belt at least double it's current mileage...and wont be changed till 10 yrs or mileage.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:26   #3
allarmsandlegs

Thanks, I will take a look at the oil level. Thanks for replying and that is good to know about the timing belt!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 15:02   #4
SiRS2000
Master Member

Timing belt is 100K or 6 years which ever comes first, I have been quoted £1150 from Johnsons Volvo Swindon for the next three services the bulk of which is the 6 year service which is roughly £500 which includes the timing belt.

I have run a D5 since December 2009 covered 20K and I have had no problems at all other than three recalls.

Recall 1 DPF regeneration tone down D5 all Volvo Models.
Recall 2 Plastic clutch part replaced for a metal part, affected all Manual diesels not just D5 and coverd all Volvo Models
Recall 3 Wiring on the windscreen washer pump, again not just D5 and covered C30, C70 S40 & V50.

Sounds like a nice car you wont be disappointed.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 17:17   #5
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Hi Mate!

Not got a D5 but you'll enjoy it.

You'll probably be on worn bushes by 40/50k

This car drives much better on 17's (I went from 17 to 18 and back to 17) so get a set of lightweight 17's if you can.

As for the bushes... polybushes is a serious handling upgrade, as is the IPD rear roll bar.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 19:10   #6
allarmsandlegs

Smile

Thanks to you both for your advice, the suspension bushes is what i expected :-) and I also appreciate your upgrade advice.

SiRS2000, you mention the recall relating to the DPF, had you any problems with this prior to the recall. I know DPFs can be troublesome if doing some town driving for periods of time. Also it sounds like this recall is to correct the rising oil level issue - is that a correct assumption?

Thanks, 6 days until I collect and counting!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 20:04   #7
SiRS2000
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allarmsandlegs View Post
Thanks to you both for your advice, the suspension bushes is what i expected :-) and I also appreciate your upgrade advice.

SiRS2000, you mention the recall relating to the DPF, had you any problems with this prior to the recall. I know DPFs can be troublesome if doing some town driving for periods of time. Also it sounds like this recall is to correct the rising oil level issue - is that a correct assumption?

Thanks, 6 days until I collect and counting!
You are right on the DPF recall it was to stop the oil level rising too high.

What a lot of people don’t realize is the D5 is designed for motorway munching, it will do 18,000 miles between servicing which explains why the Oil is so expensive.

The DPF on the D5 when regenerating will cause the engine temperature to rise and consume more fuel, now if the cycle is not complete (which takes about 20 minutes) what happened was that any excess fuel not burned in the regeneration process would be dumped into the Oil sump. Another sign that the D5 was designed for motorway munching and not town driving.

The Recall basically turned down the aggressiveness of the regeneration process and I can confidentially say that i have had no problems since the recall work was carried out.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 14:47   #8
allarmsandlegs

Great, thanks for your reply. Although I do town driving I regularly do some driving down A roads which will give the car plenty of time to do it's regen so all should be well. I think as fuel costs have risen more and more folks are purchasing diesels which aren't necessarily suited to their lifestyle and hence these sort of issues crop up!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for explaining the root cause of the rising oil issue.