Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake fluid grade query.

Views : 849

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 22:35   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Brake fluid grade query.

I’ve just been replacing front brake discs and brake pads on daughter’s XC 70.
Pushing the pistons back bled some fluid off via the bleed nipple.
Need to top up the brake master cylinder.
Cap on master cylinder states Dot4. Owner’s manual states Dot 4 plus.
I have plenty Dot 4 in the garage but no Dot4 plus.
Is it safe to top up the master cylinder with Dot 4 ?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 23:04   #2
dingov70
Master Member

DOT3, DOT4, DOT4+ and DOT5.1 are all Glycol based. The differences are in viscosity and boiling point. Use the grade that your car calls for (Volvos are usually DOT4), with DOT4 and DOT4+ pretty much interchangeable

Hope it helps you
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 23:55   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Thanks dingo 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
DOT3, DOT4, DOT4+ and DOT5.1 are all Glycol based. The differences are in viscosity and boiling point. Use the grade that your car calls for (Volvos are usually DOT4), with DOT4 and DOT4+ pretty much interchangeable

Hope it helps you
I wasn’t sure what the difference was between DOT4 and DOT4+ but you’ve confirmed what I was thinking regarding interchangeability, especially as the master cylinder cap simply states DOT4.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 12th, 2019 at 23:57.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 15:23   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

No DOT4+ available at my usual local stockists. Plenty DOT4 or DOT4 ESP.
I had to damage one of the “6 point flange screws” which secure the disc to the hub as it would not loosen and the torx socket quickly deformed. The head appears to be very soft.
I eventually managed to drifted it out with a sharp steel punch so I’ve ordered four replacement screws from my dealer as I suspect that I may have similar problems when I do the rear discs. Part no.is 30741279.
Parts dept. were surprised that the screws were not supplied with the brake discs which I had bought from them. The caliper bracket bolts came with the discs but no flange screws.
As I have to collect them tomorrow I will buy a small quantity of Volvo’s own brake fluid while I am there as the car probably has OE fluid in already.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 13th, 2019 at 15:26. Reason: Error correction
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:24   #5
green van man
Premier Member

I change brake fluid every 2 years useing dot 4 never had a problem on my xc70, disco 1 or the works sprinter which I know has dot 4 in it.

Buy volvo if you want to but if the car is more than 2 years old it's unlikely to be volvo fluid. They sell in litres to the public but I've seen factors delivering dot 4 in 5 litre jacks for workshop use at mine.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:17   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

If it were my car Paul I would probably have just used some DOT4 but car is not used by me. Although the car was bought used, it was from our dealer and to the best of our knowledge the car has been dealer serviced since new so it could possibly still have Volvo fluid in although I do take your point about factors delivering DOT4 to your dealer. These Volvos we now own are the first cars we have owned which have not had the braking system opened for some maintenance for some reason fairly frequently. Previous cars often had the braking system bled after fitting some replacement part so the fluid was changed, but on an irregular frequency.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 15:47   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Just collected four “six point flange screws” from dealer, (£2.05 each, plus vat) together with 250mls of Volvo brake fluid, (£4.20 plus vat). The fluid is identified as DOT4 & 5.1 with low viscosity with high wet boiling point and extremely good lubricating properties. Can to be used within two months once opened. But then off course the fluid is in the car for however long.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 20:24   #8
dingov70
Master Member

I had to damage one of the “6 point flange screws” which secure the disc to the hub as it would not loosen and the torx socket quickly deformed. The head appears to be very soft.

Simple solution , ALWAYS use as large a drift as you can against the screw head BEFORE attempting to undo . The shock of impact breaks the rust bond or what ever else is likely to stop the screw from turning
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 21:43   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

The so called “flange screw” is actually countersunk into the disc. It doesn’t have a flange as I know them. The head is about 15mms diameter. As soon as it became apparent that it was rather tight I hammered the torx bit into it. I then used an impact driver. It was not budging.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 21:51   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post

Simple solution , ALWAYS use as large a drift as you can against the screw head BEFORE attempting to undo . The shock of impact breaks the rust bond or what ever else is likely to stop the screw from turning
My go to tool for that job is a cheap manual impact driver. Half inch drive one end big head for hitting with hammer the other.. The blow causes a turning movement as well as the thwack to break any rust. Last one I baught cost less than a fiver, comes in a neat little case with 4 screwdriver bits and a half inch drive holder.
Sure eBay or toolstation type place can supply.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote